Superstitions niggling at my mind

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-05-2012, 11:32 AM
Superstitions niggling at my mind
I've tried my best to distance my thought-process from an Ex Jehovah's Witness to the Athiest I am now. It was a pretty rough road. I went from being kicked out of that organization to then researching pagan beliefs, trying had to distance myself, and since that was the main one the congregation 'denounced', I felt I had a good basis to figure out what I believed.

But then superstition took hold. OCD-like superstition. Some of my friends with OCD even said that they refer to how their brain reacts as being of a superstitious manner. Well, paganism seems to be deep-rooted in that.

Now that I threw away the pagan books, and haven't found proof of a god or gods, I'm happy to say the only thing left in my mind of the last 26 years of my life when religion is concerned, are the superstitions.

I don't know what level mine would be categorized as, but here it is:

When I go riding on a Harley, I carry something that gives me psychological comfort. The type of 'all will be safe if I carry this'.

This needs to stop.

The best way I can explain it, is that I'm keeping myself from enjoying the full experience of the ride, due to fears that things may screw up in a horrible accident, and that I will be dead, if I don't carry that which gives me psychological comfort. I want to break free from this though-process.

I do recognize that superstitions where set in my brain before I researched on paganism, it was just under a smoke-and-mirrors guise at the time.

I am going to go riding today. Today will be the first time I go without this psychological comfort object.

Besides seeing how I do without it, I was wanting to know if anyone else has had this as one of their 'last straws', and how did they deal with it.

I really don't want to end up like this guy
Hobo for the rest of my riding life.

Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Eo Thorne's post
12-05-2012, 11:50 AM
RE: Superstitions niggling at my mind
Well, if you got into an accident and died, I bet that object will be laying around the crash site for someone else to pick up and enjoy your fantastic luck!!

Hobo Did that sound stupid?

Superstition, religion, cocaine, uh... coffee Shocking ... they are drugs.

Why would you ride on drugs man, when we all know it's the ride itself that is the best drug there is? Thumbsup

Now head out and feel the ride.
And Welcome to the forum. Smile

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
12-05-2012, 12:55 PM
this object of yours may be silly, but in some cases you are stuck with it. this object brings a level of safety and comfort with it mentally. even if that security is false, removing this object can make you think about it too much, distract you from a task and make you more prone to mistakes.
recognizing a mistake can occur following a similar chain of events, you may decide to carry it anyway no matter how stupid it seems.
or maybe you can toss it aside and not worry about it anymore

if you throw it away, you need to do it mentally as well as physically

even the smartest man in the world is an idiot
[+] 1 user Likes dredmal's post
12-05-2012, 01:08 PM (This post was last modified: 12-05-2012 01:32 PM by GirlyMan.)
(12-05-2012 11:32 AM)Eo Thorne Wrote:  I don't know what level mine would be categorized as, but here it is:

When I go riding on a Harley, I carry something that gives me psychological comfort. The type of 'all will be safe if I carry this'.

This needs to stop.

The best way I can explain it, is that I'm keeping myself from enjoying the full experience of the ride, due to fears that things may screw up in a horrible accident, and that I will be dead, if I don't carry that which gives me psychological comfort. I want to break free from this though-process.

I'm familiar with that superstition. Kept me from wearing a helmet or otherwise properly protecting myself.

(12-05-2012 11:32 AM)Eo Thorne Wrote:  I am going to go riding today. Today will be the first time I go without this psychological comfort object.

Besides seeing how I do without it, I was wanting to know if anyone else has had this as one of their 'last straws', ...

First time I trashed a Sportster when some fool pulled out in front of me 'cause even though we made eye contact I apparently still didn't register and had to lay the bike down to save my sorry ass. Second time I trashed a Low Rider when some fool pulled out in front of me 'cause even though we made eye contact I apparently still didn't register and had to lay the bike down to save my sorry ass. I got lifelong scars on both my ankles to remind me that eye contact don't mean diddly. ... At least I was smart enough to be wearing boots or I might not be able to walk.

(12-05-2012 11:32 AM)Eo Thorne Wrote:  ... and how did they deal with it.

I stopped riding.

Breathing - it's more art than science.
12-05-2012, 01:18 PM

I agree with dredmal. I ride a bike as well. My advice is to keep the object with you--superstition or not. Confidence is required when you ride, as you well know, so if it gives you confidence, keep it. What is the object?
Quote this message in a reply
12-05-2012, 01:42 PM
"Legend has it that Evil Road Spirits have been latching themselves on to motorcycles for as long as there have been bikes on the road. These Evil Road Spirits are responsible for mechanical problems and bad luck along a journey.

Legend goes on to say that by attaching a small bell onto your bike, the Evil Road Spirits will become trapped inside the bell where the constant ringing drives them insane, making them lose their grip until they fall to the ground. (Ever wonder where potholes come from?)

Legend also has it that the mystery of the Guardian Bell carries twice as much power when it is purchased by a friend or loved one and given as a gift.

Show someone how much you care. Offer them defense against the Evil Road Spirits! Give a Guardian Bell and share the Legend of Good Luck it offers to a motorcycle and its rider"

Not that unusual...nothing wrong with something that gives you confidence and comfort.

Oh, geez...I am agreeing with Egor! Weeping

'See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way.' -JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
12-05-2012, 01:53 PM
I is an identity function that is mostly self contained, but it does seep beyond the self. Like how it's your bike. I mean, brainwashing goes both ways; you may be reverberating from the paganism to extreme rationalism. There is no right so much as right for you. For myself, I gots to have a picture of my Gwynnies (Gwyneth Paltrow - cause I adore her like stupid) in my environment or it ain't my environment.

'Course I solved that problem by tattooing her image on my arm, 'cause I'm more like stupid than just stupid. Big Grin

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-05-2012, 03:03 PM
(12-05-2012 01:53 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  ... 'cause I'm more like stupid than just stupid. Big Grin

Captured here. Wink

12-05-2012, 03:22 PM
There are so many superstitions wrapped around bikes, you must do this but you don’t do that and this glove goes on first and never buy a bike that colour.

I have a more practical and cynical approach to riding.

Don’t get a (insert colour) bike: Why? Because people won’t see you.

Bad news guys, they don’t see you because of many reasons, colour isn’t one of them as the headlight will override any paint job.

Most of the odd little quirks come about from coincidences that people get overly focused on. Bob put his left glove on first then his right and he binned it just down the road!

Yea well as he tipped into a corner on cold tyres, drifted wide then low sided after clipping the white line I doubt it was the order of his gloves going on.

A lot of people have certain rituals they go through before heading off, this can often be a good thing as it’ll get you into the right mindset.

Carrying a rabbits foot around won’t help you, it didn’t help the rabbit did it?

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything. Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 2 users Like Karl's post
12-05-2012, 03:41 PM
(12-05-2012 03:22 PM)Karl Wrote:  Don’t get a (insert colour) bike: Why? Because people won’t see you.

Girly can vouch for that. If you ride realize that they don't see you.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  "The mind is proof of god's existence." Chujutsu 162 4,613 Yesterday 03:42 PM
Last Post: Free Thought
  I'm losing my mind TSG 11 337 04-12-2013 01:27 AM
Last Post: Rahn127
  A long dark night of the mind TarzanSmith 39 1,084 16-06-2013 09:36 PM
Last Post: cufflink
  Is It Possible For Religion To Change Its Mind? Johnny Xed 10 361 22-05-2013 08:58 PM
Last Post: TheMrBillShow
  Is It Possible For Religion Change Its Mind? Johnny Xed 0 145 21-05-2013 04:44 PM
Last Post: Johnny Xed
  Ray Comfort shows that his god only exists in his mind Rahn127 3 344 27-04-2013 12:43 PM
Last Post: Abdul Alhazred
  Can God change his mind? DeathsNotoriousAngel 30 1,251 24-01-2013 06:21 AM
Last Post: DeathsNotoriousAngel