Support Your Local Retard

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-09-2012, 06:23 PM
Support Your Local Retard
I'm climbing up on the soapbox to address a matter that bothers me every time I visit the supermarket. First off, when I was a kid, the term used for those today described as "mentally handicapped" or "trainables" or whatever was the medical term "mentally retarded" or "retarded" or "retards." For some reason it's no longer politically correct to use those words, but I've never thought it was a pejorative term and I've continued to use it, as I did in the thread title.

So when I was a kid, supermarkets employed mentally retarded people to retrieve shopping carts from around the parking lot. This seemed like a perfect match - it was a convenience to customers, and it was a great job for the retarded - appropriately challenging, earned them wages, had good social interaction with other employees and customers, boosted their self-esteem, let them contribute to society, etc. etc.

Now, today for some reason, my local supermarkets have little parking areas around the parking lot where customers are supposed to return the cart, or you're supposed to return the cart to the front of the supermarket if you're parked close enough. So after the whole process of shopping and checking out, and schlepping the bags out to the car, you're supposed to take the cart somewhere instead of just leaving it in the corner of the parking spot to be retrieved by a retard.

If you don't have kids it's just a mild pain in the ass. If you've got little kids you've got to leave them alone in your vehicle while you go return the cart. Whatever the situation, how did we backslide into this less customer-friendly situation? And who's watching out for the jobs of the retarded?

I regularly refuse to return the cart, sometimes garnering the scorn of some Volvo-driving mom. Screw you Volvo-driving mom! Someone has to take a stand. I just leave the cart in the corner of the parking spot, so someone else can pull in, or put two wheels up over a curb so it won't roll around. I avoid creating a dangerous or damaging situation where the cart would just roll around. But I leave the work for the retarded person.

So who's with me? Who else is going to support their local retard? Stand up for our less mentally-nimble friends and refuse to return the cart. Bowing

Thank you for reading.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Jeff's post
01-09-2012, 06:28 PM
RE: Support Your Local Retard
(01-09-2012 06:23 PM)Jeff Wrote:  I'm climbing up on the soapbox to address a matter that bothers me every time I visit the supermarket. First off, when I was a kid, the term used for those today described as "mentally handicapped" or "trainables" or whatever was the medical term "mentally retarded" or "retarded" or "retards." For some reason it's no longer politically correct to use those words, but I've never thought it was a pejorative term and I've continued to use it, as I did in the thread title.

So when I was a kid, supermarkets employed mentally retarded people to retrieve shopping carts from around the parking lot. This seemed like a perfect match - it was a convenience to customers, and it was a great job for the retarded - appropriately challenging, earned them wages, had good social interaction with other employees and customers, boosted their self-esteem, let them contribute to society, etc. etc.

Now, today for some reason, my local supermarkets have little parking areas around the parking lot where customers are supposed to return the cart, or you're supposed to return the cart to the front of the supermarket if you're parked close enough. So after the whole process of shopping and checking out, and schlepping the bags out to the car, you're supposed to take the cart somewhere instead of just leaving it in the corner of the parking spot to be retrieved by a retard.

If you don't have kids it's just a mild pain in the ass. If you've got little kids you've got to leave them alone in your vehicle while you go return the cart. Whatever the situation, how did we backslide into this less customer-friendly situation? And who's watching out for the jobs of the retarded?

I regularly refuse to return the cart, sometimes garnering the scorn of some Volvo-driving mom. Screw you Volvo-driving mom! Someone has to take a stand. I just leave the cart in the corner of the parking spot, so someone else can pull in, or put two wheels up over a curb so it won't roll around. I avoid creating a dangerous or damaging situation where the cart would just roll around. But I leave the work for the retarded person.

So who's with me? Who else is going to support their local retard? Stand up for our less mentally-nimble friends and refuse to return the cart. Bowing

Thank you for reading.

Most of the markets around me still do cart collection, even the ones with bays in the lot for the customers to 'conveniently' use.

The obvious reason for the stores to skimp on cart collection is, well, they're skimping. GREED.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-09-2012, 07:10 PM
I cannot abide use of the term 'retard'. The term mentally retarded used to be used as a description for those with specific limitations, then it got shorted to 'retard' and/or 'tard' and is used in a degrading way. It devolved from the original meaning to something akin to a racial slur.

I am all for offering jobs to those that have cognitive deficits, one of the grocery stores here in town employs several kids with those issues, and some with physical challenges, and they are the most polite, most helpful of all the teen employees they have.

Any halfway reasonable adult would not refer to them in such a manner. I am not a big proponent of all things PC, but when you blast someone for something they have NO control over, I get testy.

And stop being an ass...walk your fucking cart to the rack.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 6 users Like Anjele's post
01-09-2012, 07:40 PM
(01-09-2012 07:10 PM)Anjele Wrote:  but when you blast someone for something they have NO control over, I get testy.

My point is it's not a blast

(01-09-2012 07:10 PM)Anjele Wrote:  And stop being an ass...walk your fucking cart to the rack.

Get back in your Volvo and steer around my cart.
[+] 1 user Likes Jeff's post
01-09-2012, 08:03 PM
I don't drive a Volvo...never would...just shows how you like to stereotype people.

You should be ashamed to even use the word 'retard'....if you have kids be thankful that you aren't dealing with such issues. Same is true if there are kids or grandkids in your future. Though if you haven't bred yet, it may be best not to.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
02-09-2012, 06:40 AM
Aww poor you. Imagine having to do something so physically taxing as pushing an empty shopping cart a few feet.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes FSM_scot's post
02-09-2012, 06:49 AM
I understand the spirit in which the OP wrote this. But -don't use "retard" - it is a put down. IMO Mentally retarded is not, it's just an outdated expression. There is a difference.

These cart ports -I admit to not using them. If I shop at the little supermarket in town, I actually return the cart all the way to the supermarket - these guys don't have the money to be hiring people to do it for you. At Walmart - let them hire someone, I'm not cleaning up after Walmart.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
02-09-2012, 06:59 AM
Jeff,
WTF!

That has got to be the most politically incorrect OP I seen on here for a while.
I'm all for freedom of speech / expression but FFS!

I am guessing that you do not have immediate relatives or close friends who have ASD, Downs etc. I do and yes it would be great for everyone to be able to contribute to society.

Try this from the 1950's:
"So when I was a kid, local stores employed black people to shine shoes. This seemed like a perfect match - it was a convenience to customers, and it was a great job for the n------ - appropriately challenging, earned them wages, had good social interaction with other employees and customers, boosted their self-esteem, let them contribute to society, etc. etc."

The success story of mankind is a history of the evolution of two major traits: Reciprocity and Empathy.

So put your shopping trolley back.

Thanks.

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
02-09-2012, 07:24 AM
Fucking anti-ableist brigade around here... Dodgy

People use words in a malicious manner because they are full of fucking malice, not because the words themselves have an intrinsic evil. This "don't say that" attitude merely empowers the word with the ability to denigrate.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
02-09-2012, 07:40 AM
(02-09-2012 07:24 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Fucking anti-ableist brigade around here... Dodgy

People use words in a malicious manner because they are full of fucking malice, not because the words themselves have an intrinsic evil. This "don't say that" attitude merely empowers the word with the ability to denigrate.

CANT!