Support Your Local Retard

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-09-2012, 08:23 AM
RE: Support Your Local Retard
I work in special education. I am a school psychologist and spend a good deal of my time evaluating students for disabilities and developing educational plans.

It's now legally "intellectually disabled" in our state education law disability definition.

In my reports I will usually say "significant cognitive deficits."

Just like I don't call the kids with mental illness "batshit crazy" I don't call the kids with low cognitive ability "retards."

My Year Of the Bible - A blog on reading the Bible

Fear is strange soil. Mainly it grows obedience like corn, which grows in rows and makes weeding easy. But sometimes it grows the potatoes of defiance, which flourish underground.
- Terry Pratchett
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like futureMACH's post
02-09-2012, 08:27 AM
And here's a plan for you sinne it seems you didn't think of it:

Park next to the cart return area.

My Year Of the Bible - A blog on reading the Bible

Fear is strange soil. Mainly it grows obedience like corn, which grows in rows and makes weeding easy. But sometimes it grows the potatoes of defiance, which flourish underground.
- Terry Pratchett
[+] 3 users Like futureMACH's post
02-09-2012, 08:32 AM
One thing I will say (actually one already posted things I thought, so I just liked it instead), is that in my town, those with mental disabilities (or whatever the current prefered term is....it's changed in my town a few times over the past decade) work in a place designed for them, with a few exceptions. Mainly they make small things and wash cars. In another town my family is in, there's a huge place, about as big as the factory ("hell") I work in, and they make clothing, cook food, make popcorn and candy treats--and they sell the stuff there, so they partially fund their stuff.

Now as I said there are some exceptions.... my workplace does have someone with mental problems working there (or did... he hasn't been back from a broken arm yet, so he may have quit as it's been almost 6 months). They shouldn't have hired him. It's not that he doesn't try, but he still cannot perform the duties of the job, and has to be told every day what his job is, and how to do it, and he needs others to do it as well. If they hired him to take out the garbage, and do other tasks of a similar nature, he'd be extremely useful. And I mean that literally, some tasks are not hard, they just take up to 1-2 hours a day performing, that he could do and everyone else could get more out the door if they didn't have to. As it is, they have him "help" others, they have to help him, then he messes it up, so then a few people spend a few hours correcting the screwup (if not days as has happened).
02-09-2012, 11:03 AM
(02-09-2012 06:59 AM)DLJ Wrote:  That has got to be the most politically incorrect OP I seen on here for a while.
I'm all for freedom of speech / expression but FFS!

LOL. Yes, I dislike political correctness. Maybe that's my baddass calling

(02-09-2012 06:59 AM)DLJ Wrote:  I am guessing that you do not have immediate relatives or close friends who have ASD, Downs etc.

Yes I do, a brother-in-law. I just don't feel the term as pejorative. It seems to have taken on that meaning for others along the way.

(02-09-2012 06:59 AM)DLJ Wrote:  "So when I was a kid, local stores employed black people to shine shoes. This seemed like a perfect match - it was a convenience to customers, and it was a great job for the n------ - appropriately challenging, earned them wages, had good social interaction with other employees and customers, boosted their self-esteem, let them contribute to society, etc. etc."

DLJ, you are one of the most reasoned folks here, and probably have the style most likely to cajole me into better behavior. But let me point out a couple of things about your point here. First off, any honest job is honorable work. I used to shine shoes as a kid, and then as a businessman would stop at a shoe shine stand whenever I could. The shiners were invariably black, working mostly in hotels and train stations. I had some discomfort initially with the idea of sitting up on the chair (it's kind of like an elevated throne) and having a black man work at my feet. But I quickly realized that this was their business, and they took pride in their work. I respected them for that and it would have been some sort of twisted racism to avoid using their services for a job I wanted done. They were also making decent money, between fees and tips. So I have to reject your premise a bit in using this job or any job as the archetype for a demeaning profession. That said, I think where your analogy collapses is that shining shoes isn't appropriately challenging to black people. I don't think the idea of appropriately challenging work makes sense outside the context of the (scrolling down to find it) intellectually disabled.
02-09-2012, 11:34 AM
What happens when we see the perception first and the person second?

Several posts about grocery cart handlers.

WTF?!

Learn... LEARN!!!

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
02-09-2012, 12:30 PM
(02-09-2012 11:03 AM)Jeff Wrote:  
(02-09-2012 06:59 AM)DLJ Wrote:  That has got to be the most politically incorrect OP I seen on here for a while.
I'm all for freedom of speech / expression but FFS!

LOL. Yes, I dislike political correctness. Maybe that's my baddass calling

(02-09-2012 06:59 AM)DLJ Wrote:  I am guessing that you do not have immediate relatives or close friends who have ASD, Downs etc.

Yes I do, a brother-in-law. I just don't feel the term as pejorative. It seems to have taken on that meaning for others along the way.

(02-09-2012 06:59 AM)DLJ Wrote:  "So when I was a kid, local stores employed black people to shine shoes. This seemed like a perfect match - it was a convenience to customers, and it was a great job for the n------ - appropriately challenging, earned them wages, had good social interaction with other employees and customers, boosted their self-esteem, let them contribute to society, etc. etc."

DLJ, you are one of the most reasoned folks here, and probably have the style most likely to cajole me into better behavior. But let me point out a couple of things about your point here. First off, any honest job is honorable work. I used to shine shoes as a kid, and then as a businessman would stop at a shoe shine stand whenever I could. The shiners were invariably black, working mostly in hotels and train stations. I had some discomfort initially with the idea of sitting up on the chair (it's kind of like an elevated throne) and having a black man work at my feet. But I quickly realized that this was their business, and they took pride in their work. I respected them for that and it would have been some sort of twisted racism to avoid using their services for a job I wanted done. They were also making decent money, between fees and tips. So I have to reject your premise a bit in using this job or any job as the archetype for a demeaning profession. That said, I think where your analogy collapses is that shining shoes isn't appropriately challenging to black people. I don't think the idea of appropriately challenging work makes sense outside the context of the (scrolling down to find it) intellectually disabled.

Ah! My point was missed.

I'm not pro-PC (as most of my previous post usually testify). But even in junior school I had the awareness of what terms were becoming / had become pejorative (in my day it was words like "spaz" and "mong") that other kids were hurling at each other. If hurled at me I would retort with "you can say that but it's an insults to spastics" or words to that effect.

I am also a pedant and like to use the right words in the right context unless otherwise for comedic purposes but I am aware of the reaction to words like "niggardly" (do you remember that outcry?). It's not always PC-ism, sometimes it's just zeitgeist.

My point with the "black" analogy was not one of appropriately challenging work or even of equal opportunity but simply of the word "them". As CTS latterly remarked... perception vs. person.

Since you responded mentioning your brother-in-law, I re-read your post and I think I got it wrong and was being overly defensive regarding something I am somewhat sensitive about (autism).

My apologies.

Though I meant what I said about pushing your shopping trolley back, you lazy sod!

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
02-09-2012, 09:29 PM
As a certified fucking nutbag, I'm not a feminist because I have a nutsack.

When I say, You're retarded, it's good- natured bullshit. Generally don't use retard, nigger, kike... cunt. But because of them dang Gwynnies, I always gotta ask myself, why?

What have I learned that makes speech, not free? And all I can come up with, learned some shit that wasn't love. :/ :\

[Image: 10339580_583235681775606_5139032440228868471_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-09-2012, 09:32 PM
(02-09-2012 09:29 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  As a certified fucking nutbag, I'm not a feminist because I have a nutsack.

When I say, You're retarded, it's good- natured bullshit. Generally don't use retard, nigger, kike... cunt. But because of them dang Gwynnies, I always gotta ask myself, why?

What have I learned that makes speech, not free? And all I can come up with, learned some shit that wasn't love. :/ :\

Not from Gwynnies you didn't. Drinking Beverage

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post