Support for a friend

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-08-2016, 04:14 AM (This post was last modified: 07-08-2016 02:59 PM by EllHarris412.)
Lightbulb Support for a friend
Hi there, this is my first post here but I was wondering if any of you could offer some advice. I have a friend who lately tells me he has found christ, god etc after all of this time of knowing him, I thought he was a little bit more critical in his thinking but he has seemed to be absorbed all of a sudden. I have tried talking on both a critical level and sympathetic level as I hate to think of any of my friends to lose themselves to this. Here is a link to one his videos on youtube anyway. You'll probably find it as I did, uncomfortable, a tad bit awkward and feeding the fearful but I truly believe he is not sure himself what he talking about. Unfortunately it is a little bit of a difficult situation to even talk to him directly about it as his way of dealing with it is to post an 'indirect' video talking about points others have brought up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIGpWuYTcOQ
(I hope I am allowed to post this, sorry if not!)

He also now believes science is a form of religion which again, is uncomfortable.

If any of you out there can offer him direct advice to the video, that would be appreciated. I know he reads them and I can only hope others with critical minds can offer some advice or constructive criticism that he may take on board.

Thanks a lot and I appreciate any advice that is given.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-08-2016, 04:38 AM
RE: Support for a friend
Welcome to TTA.

Why not get your friend to come here?

As a rule, people don't get to advertise their (or their friends') blogs or books and stuff like that but some here may want to express their opinion so I'll leave the link in there.

For those who do not want to add to the vid-count, it's a talking head vid, around three minutes long, from a guy in a car park in the Manchester (UK) area.

It has 27 views, 2 likes and 1 dislike. It was uploaded 5/8/2016 and has no comments yet.

As for content, he's just making a weak case for what he believes. Body language reeks of insecurity.

The channel was created in 2009 and has this description:
Quote:AliaRiel Productions, founded by Ashriel King, is a place where all visions become one. We cover topics related to spirituality and Christianity (the word of God), travelling, mindfulness (but not Eastern Mediations), following your passion, martial arts, healthy plant-based (vegan) eating and life in general as we know it. We are God's people and so let's live our lives for Christ together in the hope we will find salvation through him and him alone. ...

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
07-08-2016, 05:01 AM
Hey DLJ,
Thanks so much for the reply and your opinion on the video.

I would love nothing more for him to engage in a forum like this as it would be beneficial but unfortunately he would have no desire to come here as he would now see it as test from the devil.

Thank you for posting the contents of the video and I apologise again for linking it.

(Side note: If anyone does view the video, please take into consideration the potential vulnerable state of mind he may be in.)

(07-08-2016 04:38 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Welcome to TTA.

Why not get your friend to come here?

As a rule, people don't get to advertise their (or their friends') blogs or books and stuff like that but some here may want to express their opinion so I'll leave the link in there.

For those who do not want to add to the vid-count, it's a talking head vid, around three minutes long, from a guy in a car park in the Manchester (UK) area.

It has 27 views, 2 likes and 1 dislike. It was uploaded 5/8/2016 and has no comments yet.

As for content, he's just making a weak case for what he believes. Body language reeks of insecurity.

The channel was created in 2009 and has this description:
Quote:AliaRiel Productions, founded by Ashriel King, is a place where all visions become one. We cover topics related to spirituality and Christianity (the word of God), travelling, mindfulness (but not Eastern Mediations), following your passion, martial arts, healthy plant-based (vegan) eating and life in general as we know it. We are God's people and so let's live our lives for Christ together in the hope we will find salvation through him and him alone. ...
07-08-2016, 05:48 AM
Looking at the channel's video history, it seems to be a journal of self-discovery... a loner looking for somewhere to belong. The video titles and descriptions were absent of god until around four months ago.

I can't help thinking "thank fuck he found christianity rather than Islam".

I suspect this god-phase is merely a symptom of something else ... I'd be speculating as to what that 'root cause' might be but I wonder if his god is a father figure of some kind giving him a perception of direction that he's been lacking.

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
07-08-2016, 08:44 PM
I suspect that there's little enough that you can do there. As DLJ has pointed out, this looks like a symptom of something more troubling. Any attempt you make to shake him from this is just going to generate a lot of psychological dissonance and damage your friendship. He may well need your friendship because religion may not provide whatever it is he's lacking. If that's the case then he's likely to move to progressively more extreme views.

What he really needs is to address the underlying problem and for that he likely needs professional counselling. You might be able to nudge him in that direction. If he's the useful sort his pastor might be able to suggest it to him.

Best of luck to you and your friend.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
07-08-2016, 08:59 PM
Well hey there, I know you hehe. I gave my advice over on AF already but just to reiterate, I don't think you should spend your time trying to deconvert your friend. Enjoy him regardless of what he believes. Smile

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
08-08-2016, 12:23 AM
I don't think your friend knows what the word worship means and stands for.

wor·ship
ˈwərSHəp/Submit
noun
the feeling or expression of reverence and adoration for a deity.
"the worship of God"
synonyms: reverence, veneration, adoration, glorification, glory, exaltation; More
verb
show reverence and adoration for (a deity); honor with religious rites.
"the Maya built jungle pyramids to worship their gods"
synonyms: revere, reverence, venerate, pay homage to, honor, adore, praise

So to clarify... I do not pay homage to, praise, or worship my job and the role I play within the corporation I work for. To say I worship my job doesn't make any sense. Meanwhile he clearly is a better example of someone worshiping something. He's also paying homage to, praising, and showing adoration for a deity he can only have faith exists. Something to think about.