Supporting Atheist Organizations

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-02-2017, 11:08 AM
Supporting Atheist Organizations
I'm sure virtually all of you agree one need not associate with groups to be an atheist. That said, given the current state of the U.S., and anxious that the Christian nutjobs may begin using "religious freedom" to strip away my rights, I've decided it's time to do *something.*. That something was joining American Atheists.

There are of course other groups that fight for nonbelievers' causes, such as Freedom from Religion Foundation (which I've read splintered from AA due to MMOH's shenanigans), the American Humanist Association, the Richard Dawkins Association for Science and Reason, and others. Are all of these equally good organizations to support? Do they cooperate and work with eachother, or kind of do their own thing? I think there may have been problems with AA when the O'Hairs were in charge--and that's not denying Granny Maddie's huge contribution to the fight against American religious tyranny--but things seem to be better these days. Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like jjohns28's post
22-02-2017, 06:15 PM
RE: Supporting Atheist Organizations
I support the ACLU. It's not an atheist organization (as God's Not Dead II would have us believe) but in light of the current situation I think supporting it is a good idea.

Sapere aude
[+] 4 users Like f stop's post
22-02-2017, 06:28 PM
(22-02-2017 11:08 AM)jjohns28 Wrote:  I'm sure virtually all of you agree one need not associate with groups to be an atheist. That said, given the current state of the U.S., and anxious that the Christian nutjobs may begin using "religious freedom" to strip away my rights, I've decided it's time to do *something.*. That something was joining American Atheists.

There are of course other groups that fight for nonbelievers' causes, such as Freedom from Religion Foundation (which I've read splintered from AA due to MMOH's shenanigans), the American Humanist Association, the Richard Dawkins Association for Science and Reason, and others. Are all of these equally good organizations to support? Do they cooperate and work with eachother, or kind of do their own thing? I think there may have been problems with AA when the O'Hairs were in charge--and that's not denying Granny Maddie's huge contribution to the fight against American religious tyranny--but things seem to be better these days. Thanks!

If you're looking to support organizations, you might also consider looking at minority religions and moderate Christian groups that are working to maintain the separation of church and state. The encroachment of Christian values onto neutral turf is not exclusively an atheist agenda. If the group is well established and making good progress, then why not?
22-02-2017, 06:31 PM
Trumplethinskin's win pushed me to join FFRF

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
22-02-2017, 06:37 PM
Perhaps of interest:

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/obam...ts-n699356

I don't believe Trump has gutted this one, yet.

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
[+] 1 user Likes Dr H's post
26-02-2017, 12:39 PM
(22-02-2017 06:37 PM)Dr H Wrote:  Perhaps of interest:

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/obam...ts-n699356

I don't believe Trump has gutted this one, yet.

Unfortunately, he has signed an executive order to continue using private prisons.

Thank Sessions for implementing it:
http://www.latimes.com/politics/washingt...story.html

Quote: The use of private prisons is expected to surge under President Trump's promised crackdown on illegal immigration.

Trump has signed an executive order calling for expansion of immigrant detention facilities and authorized the use of private contractors “to construct, operate, or control facilities."

Stocks in private prison companies have jumped on Wall Street since Trump won the presidential election, and they continued their rise on news of Sessions' order.
[+] 1 user Likes toto's post
27-02-2017, 03:01 AM
(22-02-2017 06:28 PM)Aliza Wrote:  If you're looking to support organizations, you might also consider looking at minority religions and moderate Christian groups that are working to maintain the separation of church and state. The encroachment of Christian values onto neutral turf is not exclusively an atheist agenda. If the group is well established and making good progress, then why not?

Nope; not a good idea at all. Minority religions and moderate (whatever that is?) Christian groups still maintain antiquated, non-scientific beliefs in God and/or gods. As an atheist, that notion is, of course, nonsensical, so it'd be antithetic to look to them for any sort of meaningful support in the cause of atheism. You're more than likely to find apologists trying to show you the "error of your ways".

In Australia, at least, the number of Christian politicians—particularly practicing Catholics—who are in our parliaments is excessive, and well beyond the statistical pro-rate expectation. This has in the past negatively affected legislation covering religious education in schools, abortion and contraception, stem-cell research and IVF funding, same-sex marriage, teacher discrimination in religion-based schools, tax-free church income, media and advertising censorship etc.

Here, there is no evidence at all to support the notion that any/all of the churches are "working" to "maintain" the separation of church and state. Quite the opposite in fact.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post
27-02-2017, 03:07 AM
(26-02-2017 12:39 PM)toto Wrote:  Unfortunately, he has signed an executive order to continue using private prisons.

Thank Sessions for implementing it:
Quote: The use of private prisons is expected to surge under President Trump's promised crackdown on illegal immigration. Trump has signed an executive order calling for expansion of immigrant detention facilities and authorized the use of private contractors “to construct, operate, or control facilities."

Stocks in private prison companies have jumped on Wall Street since Trump won the presidential election, and they continued their rise on news of Sessions' order.

You've posted this comment in the wrong thread. It has nothing to do with the OP's question of support from atheist organisations. Maybe start your own thread in future? Smile

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
07-03-2017, 12:59 PM
One (of several) that I support with actual money Cool is Foundation Beyond Belief because it is doing positive things. It is also my "charity of choice" at Amazon - where I spent far too much money, but at least have the satisfaction of knowing a minuscule sliver of the profits go to a great cause.
[+] 1 user Likes Rockblossom's post
07-03-2017, 01:52 PM
(22-02-2017 11:08 AM)jjohns28 Wrote:  That said, given the current state of the U.S., and anxious that the Christian nutjobs may begin using "religious freedom" to strip away my rights, I've decided it's time to do *something.*.

This began circa 1967.

You guys did nothing about it.

You sowed the wind, now you must reap the whirlwind.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.