Supporting family in a church question

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-05-2015, 05:50 PM
Supporting family in a church question
My niece (14yo) and nephew (12yo) are asking my wife and I for donations on a walk-a-thon they are participating in at their church. It's $2.00 a mile for five miles, so $10 for each one of them. The money will go to their "Youth Week" at church and I'm kind of at a dilemma.

I really want to support my niece and nephew on anything they do, but I have a hard time saying yes since their money is for a week long church function. I do not want to come off to them as me being an unsupportive uncle because I am an atheist.

Have any suggestions on how to handle this? I feel any talk that I give to them will be awkward and I feel bad for not supporting them in something.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-05-2015, 06:04 PM
RE: Supporting family in a church question
(07-05-2015 05:50 PM)sbcadam Wrote:  My niece (14yo) and nephew (12yo) are asking my wife and I for donations on a walk-a-thon they are participating in at their church. It's $2.00 a mile for five miles, so $10 for each one of them. The money will go to their "Youth Week" at church and I'm kind of at a dilemma.

I really want to support my niece and nephew on anything they do, but I have a hard time saying yes since their money is for a week long church function. I do not want to come off to them as me being an unsupportive uncle because I am an atheist.

Have any suggestions on how to handle this? I feel any talk that I give to them will be awkward and I feel bad for not supporting them in something.

I am atheist and former christian. I still have many friends and family members who are still very/fairly religious. I think you can still support them without supporting their beliefs--if you feel comfortable with it. You could also give them a card and maybe a little gift for their efforts in walking five miles--that way it supports them without the money going to the church. Or if you want it to be something related to the 5 mile walk--maybe offer to buy them some new sneakers or something else fitness related.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
07-05-2015, 06:46 PM
If you want to support them - get them a US Saving's Bond for their college education.....

Wasting money on their church camp is just that -- a waste.........

Although ---

I got my first blowjob at church camp --- so your nephew might disagree with my Savings Bond suggestion..................

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
07-05-2015, 06:56 PM
Get them each a tta t-shirt to wear on the walk-a-thon. Thumbsup
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
07-05-2015, 07:04 PM (This post was last modified: 07-05-2015 07:13 PM by cactus.)
Make them some t-shirts that have a subtle, but clever double meaning (triple bonus points if it has sexual innuendo), like "My God is incredible!"

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
08-05-2015, 05:17 AM
(07-05-2015 06:46 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  If you want to support them - get them a US Saving's Bond for their college education.....

Although ---

I got my first blowjob at church camp --- so your nephew might disagree with my Savings Bond suggestion..................

Big Grin

Shocking

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
08-05-2015, 07:30 AM
(07-05-2015 06:46 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  If you want to support them - get them a US Saving's Bond for their college education.....

Although ---

Big Grin

I hope this was a co-ed camp.......Shocking

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 3 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
08-05-2015, 07:33 AM
(08-05-2015 07:30 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  

Although ---

Big Grin

Laugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out load

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
08-05-2015, 07:56 AM
I would give them the money, but tell them it was for them to use as they please.
08-05-2015, 08:53 AM
(08-05-2015 07:30 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  

Although ---

Big Grin

Why??? If I was gay- that'd be just the thing..(not co-ed)...

But, I'm not -- and yes -- it was an "older woman".... I recall she was almost 14.....

Smile

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.