Supreme Court Allows Religionists to Discrimination in Hiring

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-01-2012, 06:08 PM
Supreme Court Allows Religionists to Discrimination in Hiring
Looks like Wormwood won't be able to sue to keep his job if the powers that be find out he's one of us now. Sad

Supreme Court keeps church job-bias disputes out of court.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-01-2012, 06:16 PM
RE: Supreme Court Allows Religionists to Discrimination in Hiring
(11-01-2012 06:08 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Looks like Wormwood won't be able to sue to keep his job if the powers that be find out he's one of us now. Sad

He's IT - his work is not 'ministerial' - so the Court seems to have left the door open for him to sue.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-01-2012, 06:22 PM
(11-01-2012 06:16 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(11-01-2012 06:08 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Looks like Wormwood won't be able to sue to keep his job if the powers that be find out he's one of us now. Sad

He's IT - his work is not 'ministerial' - so the Court seems to have left the door open for him to sue.

He ministers to the poor lonely computers. They need love too.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 4 users Like Erxomai's post
11-01-2012, 07:18 PM

Look at Mr. Well-Read over here. As a Christian who liked to read, I too was subjected to the torment of the Screwtape Letters.

I don't have a problem with this. Sure, it's freedom to discriminate... but it's a perfectly reasonable place for it. A non-Catholic is not qualified to work in the Catholic church, carrying out its rituals (feel free to replace "Catholic" with any denomination). The true worry here would be the "slippery slope", but I don't see why this ruling would logically branch out beyond religious institutions.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
[+] 1 user Likes Starcrash's post
11-01-2012, 07:23 PM
(11-01-2012 07:18 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  

Look at Mr. Well-Read over here. As a Christian who liked to read, I too was subjected to the torment of the Screwtape Letters.

I don't have a problem with this. Sure, it's freedom to discriminate... but it's a perfectly reasonable place for it. A non-Catholic is not qualified to work in the Catholic church, carrying out its rituals (feel free to replace "Catholic" with any denomination). The true worry here would be the "slippery slope", but I don't see why this ruling would logically branch out beyond religious institutions.

Ah, the Screwtape letters. Where whether you're tortured or happy for eternity depends on the competence of the demon assigned to you.
[+] 5 users Like Ben's post
11-01-2012, 07:43 PM (This post was last modified: 11-01-2012 07:46 PM by Erxomai.)
(11-01-2012 07:18 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  

Haha...Screwtape, indeed!!!

But actually I was referring to our own Wormwood from our forum. He works for a Christian institution and has some concerns about his job.

I find my own reaction fascinating...in my fundie days we feared the godless government would force us to hire the "monstrous" gays and possibly worse folks, if such people exist, to work in our precious churches. Now, on the other side, I see the government working to preserve the rights of such institutions.

PS, how embarrassed I am for the grammar faux pax in the title thread... Sad

~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
11-01-2012, 08:25 PM
(11-01-2012 07:43 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  I find my own reaction fascinating...in my fundie days we feared the godless government would force us to hire the "monstrous" gays and possibly worse folks, if such people exist, to work in our precious churches. Now, on the other side, I see the government working to preserve the rights of such institutions.

I remember one Sunday morning when our preacher was telling us how we should vote on a certain bill (a minor evil in itself). He told us that the bill, if passed, would prohibit his ability to speak out against gays and could open him up to lawsuits if he or any other preacher did their duty and taught you what was right there in the bible. Even then I thought "Really? You seriously think anyone would sue? You think a judge, even equipped with this law, would allow someone to sue a church for what was spoken in a sermon???"

Churches play the victim card far too often. It's true that they may be discriminated against, but usually it's in their favor (taxes, anyone?). After all, despite what my church raised me to believe, the majority of this country is made up of Christians.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
[+] 2 users Like Starcrash's post
11-01-2012, 11:11 PM
(11-01-2012 07:18 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  I don't have a problem with this. Sure, it's freedom to discriminate... but it's a perfectly reasonable place for it. A non-Catholic is not qualified to work in the Catholic church, carrying out its rituals (feel free to replace "Catholic" with any denomination). The true worry here would be the "slippery slope", but I don't see why this ruling would logically branch out beyond religious institutions.

Does someone need to be [your superstition here] to clean the toilets, do IT, repair the roof? The SC ruled that the job had to involve ministry.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
12-01-2012, 04:52 AM
(11-01-2012 11:11 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(11-01-2012 07:18 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  I don't have a problem with this. Sure, it's freedom to discriminate... but it's a perfectly reasonable place for it. A non-Catholic is not qualified to work in the Catholic church, carrying out its rituals (feel free to replace "Catholic" with any denomination). The true worry here would be the "slippery slope", but I don't see why this ruling would logically branch out beyond religious institutions.

Does someone need to be [your superstition here] to clean the toilets, do IT, repair the roof? The SC ruled that the job had to involve ministry.

I was only being partly facetious about saying computers need ministry too. Having been on the other side of the superstitious fence, I happen to know that EVERYTHING gets called a ministry in certain churches. There is a Sound Booth Ministry, Coffee Hour Ministry, Parking Lot Ministry, ad nauseaum ...
The whacky thought is, whoever serves in any capacity is doing it for the Looooord (gotta get that vibrato in there).

Here's the Biblical Rationale:
Quote:23 Whatever you do, do your work heartily, as for the Lord rather than for men, 24 knowing that from the Lord you will receive the reward of the inheritance. It is the Lord Christ whom you serve.
Colossians 3:23-24 NASB

~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post