Surefire ways to prove God exists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-10-2013, 09:53 AM (This post was last modified: 30-10-2013 12:24 PM by Cathym112.)
RE: Surefire ways to prove God exists
(30-10-2013 09:12 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Chippy vs. Cathym112.

One treats this place as a debate forum;

The other treats this place as a community.

Each are following different rules.

Who is right? GO!

I guess I treat this place as both. Debate can happen within the context of conversation. Further, successfully debating is not contingent on being an asshole. I can debate economics by simplifying economic theories and processes to increase understanding for the general population of spectators without the need to erroneously accuse my opponent of having "down-syndrome."

All and all, there is no need for douchbaggery. Not everyone understands the complexities of economics like I can. Does that make them stupid? No. It's just not your area of expertise. I am not familiar with the complexities of molecular biology. Does that mean I'm stupid? Again, no. It's not my area of expertise.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-10-2013, 10:00 AM
(30-10-2013 09:53 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  
(30-10-2013 09:12 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Chippy vs. Cathym112.

One treats this place as a debate forum;

The other treats this place as a community.

Each are following different rules.

Who is right? GO!

I guess I treat this place as both. Debate can happen within the context of conversation. Further, successfully debating is not continent on being an asshole. I can debate economics by simplifying economic theories and processes to increase understanding for the general population of spectators without the need to erroneously accuse my opponent of having "down-syndrome."

All and all, there is no need for douchbaggery. Not everyone understands the complexities of economics like I can. Does that make them stupid? No. It's just not your area of expertise. I am not familiar with the complexities of molecular biology. Does that mean I'm stupid? Again, no. It's not my area of expertise.

Point being that Chippy is (and has been consistently) following the 'serious debate' rules.

I can't help thinking that this thread was started more in the vein of 'community' i.e. a bonding thing.

But it is the Atheism/Theism section so ...

Wink

30-10-2013, 10:17 AM
I'd say it depends on individual objectives. What are your goals in how you present yourself? I haven't read many of Chippy's posts, so I can't speak about him specifically, but I will say that the debate style in general is not one that appeals to me. It's fairly inaccessible, meant for a few big minds in front of large, non-participatory audiences. I do not think it actually succeeds at persuading many people, nor does it present atheists to theists in the "get to know your neighbor" way that's needed to overcome the prejudices of today's society.

Doubly-so since debate in a forum such as this would be essentially unmoderated. (Well, there are mods to enforce forum rules, but not debate rules.)

Eeeeeeeek.
[+] 1 user Likes Reltzik's post
30-10-2013, 10:41 AM
(30-10-2013 09:53 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  All and all, there is no need for douchbaggery.

Why, yes. Yes there is. Big Grin

...although I'm thinking more of dearthair and his bs. I for one found Chippy's douchbaggery amusing. Tongue

Chas's white-knighting of someone who can take care of herself, not so much. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-10-2013, 11:46 AM
(30-10-2013 10:41 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(30-10-2013 09:53 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  All and all, there is no need for douchbaggery.

Why, yes. Yes there is. Big Grin

...although I'm thinking more of dearthair and his bs. I for one found Chippy's douchbaggery amusing. Tongue

Chas's white-knighting of someone who can take care of herself, not so much. Big Grin

Nonsense. Chas is my hero :-)
30-10-2013, 11:55 AM
(30-10-2013 11:46 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  Nonsense. Chas is my hero :-)

Eew. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-10-2013, 12:12 PM
(30-10-2013 11:55 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(30-10-2013 11:46 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  Nonsense. Chas is my hero :-)

Eew. Tongue

I think you just resent the fact that I prefer to worship Hugh Jackgodman.
30-10-2013, 12:21 PM
I'm still waiting for super-smart Chippy to defend his position that ending world hunger, cancer, illness, etc., would not effect the economy in light of my rebuttal.
30-10-2013, 01:59 PM
(29-10-2013 08:26 AM)devilsadvoc8 Wrote:  
(28-10-2013 02:34 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  I can give the Christian perspective on this thread if it helps:

*God hides Himself from the unwilling/unwanting and both testaments say so

*God offers miraculous and metaphysic proof as well as empirical proof to review, upon reasonable request

*Atheists are skeptics, but there are reasonable skeptics and over-the-top skeptics in this world

*Everytime you ask for God to strike you dead with lightning I'm praying He doesn't, so there...!

How convenient. Why would this supposed god so desperate for attention and worship hide themselves? While you say the bible says he hides himself, the bible clearly tells stories about god revealing itself many times through the underwhelming burning bush and the equally fantastic immaculate rape of Mary. Why then and not more?

As for the miraculous and metaphysic proof, please provide examples with support.

God is hidden because of human sin. You've read the BIBLE, yes?

Moses was open to finding evidence and counted his Jewish ancestry more precious as people who received the Word more than his Egyptian wealth.

As for the miraculous and metaphysic proof, I believe you personally have read testimonies of what? 200? Christians on this forum who've all told you the proof is there when YOU want it. PERIOD.
30-10-2013, 02:36 PM
(29-10-2013 11:34 PM)Chippy Wrote:  Your mind is like a decrepid slum that smells of excrement and is populated by leprous beggars and mangey, emaciated dogs and you want to preserve the ill-founded idea that it is a great place to live by trying to prevent any knowledge of life beyond the slum. I seriously doubt that anyone on this forum wants to share in your paltry and pathetic knowledge, wants to inhabit your fetid intellectual slum.

[+] 1 user Likes Cathym112's post