• 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-09-2017, 01:24 AM
RE: Surprised and shocked.
No child marriage is not allowed in Us.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-09-2017, 04:31 AM
(01-09-2017 01:24 AM)DeborahWalker Wrote:  No child marriage is not allowed in Us.

That doesn't stop it from happening. Whether or not it's legally binding, if your parents and community/religious leaders are all cool with handing over a little girl 'in marriage' to an adult, with the full knowledge that they will 'consummate' that marriage? Then those little girls are getting raped, with the tacit approval of everyone involved.

That's a community who's all in on child rape and predation.

Kinda makes you want to take a flamethrower to the whole damn community, just to literally burn out such festering rot.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
01-09-2017, 06:06 AM
You shouldn't get married till you are 35.

And probably not even then.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
01-09-2017, 06:14 AM (This post was last modified: 01-09-2017 06:20 AM by BikerDude.)
I'm lucky. We've been able to have a nice relationship despite her being Christian and me an atheist.
Good luck.

[Image: anigif_enhanced-26851-1450298712-2.gif]
01-09-2017, 06:16 AM
(28-06-2017 01:39 PM)Dr H Wrote:  But seriously, folks....

Child marriage does seem to be a problem in the US, but I'm not sure exactly how much of the statement of the problem is accurate.
For example, the statement that child marriage is legal in "50 states and the District of Columbia" is not true.

The legal age for marriage in Oregon is 18 without parental consent, and 17 with parental consent, and this has been the law here since at least 1965.

Given that, I looked a little further into state statutes:

Minimum age in Nebraska is also 17 (with parental consent), and this seems to go back at least to 1924.

39 states and DC have a minimum age of 16 (with parental consent) for one or both parties. That strikes me as rather young, but whether it constitutes a "child marriage" depends, I suppose, on what age parameters one puts around the definition of "child".

Two states (Kentucky and Louisiana) have a minimum age of 18, but there are exceptions built into their laws which render that limit moot.

It's a battle worth fighting, for sure, but I'd want to make sure I was fighting it with the right weapons, and in the right theater.

NY is in the process of changing it from 14 (yup that correct) to 17
It required a court approval but it did happen.
http://nypost.com/2017/06/08/new-york-ma...sed-to-17/

[Image: anigif_enhanced-26851-1450298712-2.gif]
01-09-2017, 09:00 AM
I believe this one is true no matter what state:

An R-rating on a movie means children under the age of 17 can get in only with a parent or guardian who is over the age of 21.

So I guess there are still places in the US where you can get married at 16 but if they are both 16 they couldn't go see an R rated movie. Not legally anyway. Unless a parent or older friend went with them. Seriously.

Hmmm.

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
01-09-2017, 09:37 AM
OP, amazing that you can have these conversations and be supportive at the same time. That was nice to read.
01-09-2017, 10:47 AM
(01-09-2017 01:24 AM)DeborahWalker Wrote:  No child marriage is not allowed in Us.

The fact that the civil law in the US prevents what religions might otherwise do, is in no way a support for religions being reasonable or ethical. Religious norms come from cultural origins, (not "supernatural" origins, or the gods). Religious laws have evolved over the millennia. The Biblical Patriarchs had multiple wives, and if they married their wife's slaves became part of the marriage.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
01-09-2017, 11:06 AM

That is incorrect. In FL apparently all a woman needs to get married is to get pregnant regardless of age. In ND, it's 14 yo w/ parental consent. Over the past 15 years, more than 200,000 minors married in US, and in Tennessee girls as young as 10 were married in 2001.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
01-09-2017, 01:55 PM
(01-09-2017 11:06 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

That is incorrect. In FL apparently all a woman needs to get married is to get pregnant regardless of age. In ND, it's 14 yo w/ parental consent. Over the past 15 years, more than 200,000 minors married in US, and in Tennessee girls as young as 10 were married in 2001.

Same in Canada. When I was married to my ex husband his family had a wedding for his niece and the parents had to sign papers to agree. she was 17 years old, 2 weeks shy of 18. In my province an adult is 18, in their province 19. Was kind of strange but just close enough that it was kind of okay. The husband was 22 or 23. They're still married 5 or 6 years later and have a baby and a home business, they seem happy still and it all looks respectful. The age still doesn't follow the maths guideline for age (take the oldest persons age, divide by 2 and add 7. lol )