Surprising Encounter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-09-2012, 09:46 AM
Surprising Encounter
On my birthday a few days ago, I had a rather surprising encounter with someone.

One year ago to the day (of my birthday), I had been out driving around the dark and empty backroads that curve and wind through the woods; just having time to myself amidst the celebratory nonsense that I have never been very fond of. My speed was higher than it probably should have been, but the road doesn't have a designated speed limit, so I just cruised along without a care. Eventually, I approached the tailgate of a white Dodge Ram. He was going about 10 miles under my personal speed-limit (wink-wink), so I sulked as I followed him for a bit.

As we drove, there suddenly arose a loud crashing sound and my windshield was littered with broken glass and plastic. A van had been coming toward us from the other direction, and side-swiped the truck in front of me. I'll make a long story short, but the gentleman who had been driving the truck - a rather tall, salty old guy who wore a big cowboy hat with a medalion on the front and a bolo-tie around his neck - asked if I had seen precisely what happened. Being that it was about 1:00 in the morning and aside from me; he and the van were the only two souls on this lengthy and particularly dark stretch of road, I decided that I'd pull over with him and await the arrival of the authorites. (The van was packed-full of what I will only describe as "ner-do-wells", and considering the tension of the situation, I knew the old man - though burly - wouldn't stand a chance on his own if things went south)

The greater extent of that evening was spent standing on the side of the road for about 4 hours waiting for a state trooper to make his way from his home on the other side of the county to the scene of the accident. During that time, the old man and I talked and joked and discussed the incident at length; examining who had done what and in what manner, determining who's fault it was. Eventually, the trooper arrived, everyone gave their particular version of the story, I bid a farewell to the old man (I can't, for the life of me, recall his name) and we all parted ways.

One year later, on the exact date, I found myself in Lowe's buying lumber. I was standing in the checkout line when I sensed that someone had walked up behind me. I turned around and, to my surprise, there stood the old man - cowboy hat and bolo-tie - with his items in hand. We made eye-contact and he smiled, but apparently did not recognize me. I didn't say anything, but when I got to my car, I couldn't help but laugh at the astonishing coincidence that I'd run into the same guy a year later on the same day.

On the way home, I kicked myself because I hadn't thought to approach him (keep in mind, he didn't recognize me), place my hand on his shoulder and say, in an ominous tone:

"It wasn't your fault."

"...What?"

"The accident...it wasn't your fault."

Shocking

Oh the lulz that would have ensued...Lmao

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Misanthropik's post
02-10-2012, 03:51 AM
RE: Surprising Encounter
Ahhhh you missed your chance for comedy gold. It would be like Dane Cooks bit about going to an airport, walking up to a random person, and just saying with a straight face " Don't get on the plane" then walk away.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Am1sh Sasquatch's post
02-10-2012, 05:40 AM
RE: Surprising Encounter
(30-09-2012 09:46 AM)Misanthropik Wrote:  ... I'd run into the same guy a year later on the same day.

I'm confused. You didn't run into him the first time. That was the other driver.

Happy b'day for last week.

:cake:

Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post