Surprising result.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-05-2015, 09:18 AM
Surprising result.
I just got a gadget that uses a cell connection to create a wi-fi hotspot so my wi-fi-only tablet can connect when my cable is down or I'm traveling. The first thing I did was run a speed test. The cell gadget was 1.5 to 2 times faster than my cable internet on the download (31 to 43 Mbps vs. 19 to 20 for the cable) and three times faster on the upload (17 to 18 Mbps vs. 6 for the cable) This surprised me. I didn't realize cell data could be so fast. The connection was 4G LTE. I imagine that people in the know will not be surprised, but I've never had cell data before. Just a flip phone, and wi-fi only on the tablet.

OTOH, the 50 GB per month that I routinely use via cable (out of some hundreds allowed) and which I pay $50/month for, would cost $350 from the cell phone company. I won't be watching any YouTube via the new cell gadget. (All I need when traveling or when my cable goes down is to do my email, check weather reports, and some light web surfing, Wikipedia, etc.)

"El mar se mide por olas,
el cielo por alas,
nosotros por lágrimas."
-- Jaime Sabines
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-05-2015, 09:44 AM
RE: Surprising result.
Cool. Can you post the specifics of the gadget? I am gadget geek.

bty, in you signature don't you mean Jaime Sabines (if you are referring to Jaime Sabines Gutiérrez).
08-05-2015, 07:46 AM
RE: Surprising result.
Oops! Thanks for bringing my attention to the typo in my signature. Fixed now.

The gadget is a MiFi Jetpack 6620L. The service provider is Verizon. And as I said, it was on 4G LTE when I did the speed test from home.

I got my first cell phone a decade ago, when I lived in North Dakota, and wanted to have emergency communication for times when I might get stuck out of town in winter. At the time I had a debit card but no credit card, and at the age of 57 I had never borrowed money in my life. So I had no credit history. A lifetime of paying phone and utility bills on time does not go on your credit record. With no credit card and no credit history, Verizon was the ONLY cell phone provider that would sell me a phone. I tried all the others first (only because I had not heard of Verizon, I guess). The fact that they were willing to let me have a phone when no other company was has earned them my continued patronage.

After my first trip to Hawai'i, when the rental car company refused to let me have the car I had reserved, because I had no credit rating and only a debit card, not a credit card, I broke down and got a credit card, which I pay off in full every month, treating it as though it were a debit card. I've never left a balance on it. Debt is a recipe for misery. But it appears that without a credit history you cannot rent a car, or get a cell phone from most providers, and even Verizon agreed to sell me a phone only because, in my middle 50's, the salesman judged that no credit history meant no bad credit.

Now, of course, a decade of using the credit card and paying the bill means I have a credit history. I don't care about my rating because I do not plan on ever borrowing money.

"El mar se mide por olas,
el cielo por alas,
nosotros por lágrimas."
-- Jaime Sabines
[+] 1 user Likes daniel1948's post