Survey study on atheism!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-10-2016, 12:43 PM
Survey study on atheism!
Hi all! I'm a grad student conducting a survey study on atheism. As an atheist myself, I know there is very little research on atheists-- I also know there are very few of us, overall. That's why I'm trying to recruit people from a range of sources.

I'd like to share my link here and invite you all to participate!
https://universityrochester.co1.qualtric...UwyLmhn9xb

Please note a few requirements, though: You must be 18+, from the US, and be an atheist who believes God does not exist.
I apologize for having such narrow requirements!
The survey seems to take about 7-10 minutes. Here's the official description:

The purpose of this study is to investigate the link between non-religious people’s reasons for their beliefs and views towards themselves.
If you decide to take part in this study, you will be asked to complete an online survey form. It will take about 5 minutes to complete the tasks. During this study you will be asked to complete five survey questionnaires, which identify individual differences in religious beliefs, views about the self, and perceptions of other groups. You will then be asked to complete demographics questions. About 1000 participants will take part in this study.

I'd appreciate your contributions!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-10-2016, 01:01 PM
RE: Survey study on atheism!
(28-10-2016 12:43 PM)atheist_researcher Wrote:  I also know there are very few of us, overall.

That's very debatable.

Quote:Please note a few requirements, though: You must be 18+, from the US, and be an atheist who believes God does not exist.

How are you defining "God"?

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
28-10-2016, 01:02 PM
Thread moved from the Science section and added as a link to the List Of Surveys

(28-10-2016 01:01 PM)unfogged Wrote:  ...
How are you defining "God"?

As non-existent.

Big Grin

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
28-10-2016, 01:25 PM
Easy enough. Hopefully you'll share the results.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
28-10-2016, 01:45 PM
Cool. Done.

Neat that you're doing research. I'd be curious to know the reasons behind the research, and behind the phrasing of some of the questions.

I'm quite curious to see the results, as well.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
28-10-2016, 01:56 PM
I started but found myself thinking "that depends..." on virtually every question. They were such vague, sweeping generalizations that I could not give meaningful answers.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 4 users Like unfogged's post
28-10-2016, 02:03 PM
Lol, I got myself locked out!

Read the top of the first question, glanced at the options, decided to click on Catholicism since I identify most with that since I was raised in it. Oops, must have been a none someplace and the question wasn't about what I identified with most.

Too late, I have been expulsed from class. Hobo

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
28-10-2016, 02:08 PM
Atheists don't believe anything.
Nothing about (any of) the gods.
They don't "believe god(s) don't exist. Do YOU "believe" pink sparkly unicorns don't exist ?
No. You dismiss the notion as nonsensical and undefined.

Since you haven't defined what it is we're supposed to "(not) believe in", I have no clue whether to participate or not.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
28-10-2016, 02:09 PM
(28-10-2016 02:08 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Atheists don't believe anything.
They don't "believe god(s) don't exist. Do YOU "believe" pink sparkly unicorns don't exist ?

Since you haven't defined what it is we're supposed to "(not) believe in", I have no clue whether to participate or not.

Go and see if you get kicked out too. I feel so lonely!

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
28-10-2016, 02:15 PM
(28-10-2016 02:09 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(28-10-2016 02:08 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Atheists don't believe anything.

Go and see if you get kicked out too. I feel so lonely!

Huh, being a Brit I didn't even get in to have a shufti!

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
[+] 1 user Likes Gloucester's post