Survey study on atheism!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-10-2016, 07:35 AM
RE: Survey study on atheism!
(28-10-2016 01:56 PM)unfogged Wrote:  I started but found myself thinking "that depends..." on virtually every question. They were such vague, sweeping generalizations that I could not give meaningful answers.
Same here.
Two big problems I had was that it kept referring to "Christian" and "Christianity". Which branches? Some I'd answer one way, and others I'd answer a different way.
Second was that it started by asking me about "a Christian". Individual people will get a different response from me than Christianity in general. Some of the answers would be based on the person as a whole, with their Christianity only being a part of it.

[Image: fdyq20.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-10-2016, 07:50 AM (This post was last modified: 29-10-2016 08:09 AM by cactus.)
Atheism is a lack of theism, not a lack of religiosity. Some eastern religions are non-theistic.

Does picking agnostic disqualify you from the survey? One can be both agnostic and atheist, or both agnostic and say "God does not exist" (which, btw, is not the definition I usually hear atheists use for themselves). Claims about "Capital G God" often contain logical paradoxes that make existence impossible by definition.

I would say in certain situations that "God does not exist," but in doing so, I'd be referring to very specific sets of claims that I've encountered throughout my life. God is an infinitely malleable term. The assertion that "God", by any definition, can't exist, is futile. The person making the claim would just have to change their definition of God in order to falsify your statement (God is my backyard fence), or they could change their definition in order to make it non-falsifiable (God exists outside of anything that we will ever call "the universe.")

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
29-10-2016, 01:49 PM
(29-10-2016 04:55 AM)Gloucester Wrote:  Think I will try again, listing myself as an atheist this time.

Later: ok, so it recognises that I tried once already!

Erase the cookie from Qualtric and it won't know you've ever taken the survey.

(29-10-2016 07:35 AM)LostLocke Wrote:  
(28-10-2016 01:56 PM)unfogged Wrote:  I started but found myself thinking "that depends..." on virtually every question. They were such vague, sweeping generalizations that I could not give meaningful answers.
Same here.
Two big problems I had was that it kept referring to "Christian" and "Christianity". Which branches? Some I'd answer one way, and others I'd answer a different way.
Second was that it started by asking me about "a Christian". Individual people will get a different response from me than Christianity in general. Some of the answers would be based on the person as a whole, with their Christianity only being a part of it.

Great, so it's selecting for atheists who don't think very much about other beliefs, evangelists posing as atheists and people who generally just want to mess with it. Facepalm I can't wait to see the paper on this data.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
29-10-2016, 02:50 PM
(28-10-2016 12:43 PM)atheist_researcher Wrote:  Hi all! I'm a grad student conducting a survey study on atheism.
Hi. Ok. Why?

Quote:As an atheist myself,
Sure you are.

Quote:I know there is very little research on atheists--
How do you know that?

Quote:I also know there are very few of us, overall.
I beg to differ. But then again "few" has not been defined in this specific context. There are probably fewer Atheists than Moslems. I would agree on that, no questions asked.

Quote:That's why I'm trying to recruit people from a range of sources.
Recruit? Is this a job / the army / a school I shall enter / cool kids club?
Recruit to do a survey? Never heard of "recruit" used that way. U funny boy.

Quote:I'd like to share my link here and invite you all to participate!
https://universityrochester.co1.qualtric...UwyLmhn9xb
Yay, clicking random links on the internet! Sounds like a great idea. (even with universityrochester in the url)

Quote:Please note a few requirements, though: You must be 18+, from the US, and be an atheist who believes God does not exist.
18 = fair enough / US = fair enough / believes God does not exist = bad phrasing man, bad phrasing.

Quote:an atheist who believes God does not exist.
And THIS is why I don't believe that you are an Atheist. Dude, do your homework.
Theism is the belief in a God or Gods.
Atheism is the lack of belief in a God or Gods. This does not equal believing that a God does not exist because that would be a believe again.
If you are really a student, then please do your homework before starting your "research". That is what normal scientists do. They check and read and learn and know their words. Go ahead, you can do it.

Quote:The purpose of this study is to investigate the link between non-religious people’s reasons for their beliefs and views towards themselves.
I think you are way too biased to be able to actually conduct any type of research because there we are again with atheists' reason for their (atheistic) beliefs, which is contradictory in itself. Again, please do your homework.

Quote:If you decide to take part in this study, you will be asked to complete an online survey form. It will take about 5 minutes to complete the tasks.
Even if I lived in the US, I wouldn't waste my time ticking answers in a biased questionaire.

Quote:During this study you will be asked to complete five survey questionnaires, which identify individual differences in religious beliefs, views about the self, and perceptions of other groups. You will then be asked to complete demographics questions. About 1000 participants will take part in this study.
What differences in religious beliefs when you are talking to Atheists.
View of the self? I can give you that one. I'm me. You are welcome.
Perception of other groups: Live and let live. But I guess you were going for some scales or other rating systems to rate other groups. That would be a bad way to measure though. Whatever, I didn't even bother to look in your survey.

You may not have noticed, but I am bored right now Smartass

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
[+] 2 users Like Leerob's post
30-10-2016, 02:33 AM
Looks loaded. Decided not to play with it lest it go off in my face. Tongue

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
30-10-2016, 02:47 AM
(28-10-2016 08:25 PM)AnaBunny Wrote:  Sorry, I'm not old enough to take it.

I'm not eighteen until December and not a citizen or resident of the United States so I didn't qualify either.

You're not alone.
30-10-2016, 04:01 AM
atheist_researcher, you seem to have disappeared, bith here and on the Happy Atheist forum.

Have you no replies to greetings? To questions and comnents regarding the structure and purpose of your survey?

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
[+] 1 user Likes Gloucester's post
30-10-2016, 10:08 AM
(28-10-2016 12:43 PM)atheist_researcher Wrote:  Please note a few requirements, though: You must be 18+, from the US, and be an atheist who believes God does not exist.

This counts me out. I lack belief in god(s), but don't hold the positive belief that they don't exist.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
30-10-2016, 10:16 AM
IRB approval? Consent form? Is this a real poncho or is this a Sears poncho?

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
30-10-2016, 10:25 AM
(30-10-2016 10:16 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  IRB approval? Consent form? Is this a real poncho or is this a Sears poncho?