Survival Horror

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-07-2012, 12:24 PM
Survival Horror
I enjoy survival horror games from time to time.

Thing is, there aren't many of them in existence. There are a lot of horror/action games, ala resident evil, but not many genuinely survival style. The first couple of resident evil titles were a little more survival horror ish, but only really due to the limitations of the awful control scheme.

There were a couple of titles I really enjoyed on the playstation/ps2. Silent Hill was pretty awesome, and Fatal Frame 1&2 were freaky. But that's pretty much it.

Most survival horror games have become more action orientated or vanished. However there seems to be an upswing recently, by indie developers no less. Amnesia looks pretty good, though I won't buy a pc game as I don't have a gaming rig so it would be pointless. And I just downloaded Slender , a short little game that is completely free. It's pretty good, though I'd like to be able to run like a human. Armed with only a flashlight, and only one enemy. But the real enemy is the darkness and surrounding woods that this slender man can hide behind.

Anyone know of any more recent Survival Horror titles out there? Or hell, just list off some of your favorites from the old days.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-07-2012, 12:51 PM
RE: Survival Horror
There's a game called Frogger. It's pretty frightening as cars try to hit you and crocodiles try to eat you. Pretty hard to survive that kind of horror.

Or if you like something with a Supernatural element, there's a game called Pac-man. It has ghosts trying to eat a moving pie with a piece missing from it. Very scary.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Erxomai's post
20-07-2012, 01:12 PM
They should make a frogger movie.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like lucradis's post
20-07-2012, 01:40 PM
Amnesia: the dark descent is creepy.... I haven't even made it out of the tutorial levels without my character going insane from the darkness--and that's before any monsters/etc appear.
[+] 3 users Like elemts's post
20-07-2012, 08:50 PM
(20-07-2012 12:51 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  There's a game called Frogger. It's pretty frightening as cars try to hit you and crocodiles try to eat you. Pretty hard to survive that kind of horror.

20-07-2012, 09:02 PM
Deadspace and Deadspace 2.

- Limited on ammo
- Difficulty can range
- You can make it harder once you beat the game
- Every room will be different as sometimes you engage in narrow areas, sometimes big areas.
- You have to be strategic with energy usage.
- You have to be strategic with your shots
- Limited carry capacity
- Shit can tear you to pieces
- I can almost guarantee you'll find SOMETHING that'll scare the crap out of ya.
- Best played with the lights off late at night.
[+] 3 users Like Logisch's post
21-07-2012, 09:19 PM
There’s an indie title in development at the moment with a freely available alpha called SPC: Secure, Contain, Protect. I shot a hole through my chair whilst playing this game. The levels are randomly regenerated every time you die, there is a large variety of entities to run a way from (there are no weapons) and it has a rampant online following that have contributed to a creepy, lovcraftian world to delve into (check out the SPC wiki).

Don’t expect to live long.

If you are more inclined to tense/action survival I recommend STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl or one of its sequels with some of the better GFX mods such as LURK or Complete 2012. They start out as action games but once you get cornered underground in the dark, with one magazine and 3 cloaked blood-stalkers in the room, your underwear will be reduced to faecal encrusted ribbons.

"Gary, it's burning, what we gonna do"
-Bill Bailey
[+] 1 user Likes Dunhill808's post
22-07-2012, 09:09 AM
(21-07-2012 09:19 PM)Dunhill808 Wrote:  There’s an indie title in development at the moment with a freely available alpha called SPC: Secure, Contain, Protect. I shot a hole through my chair whilst playing this game. The levels are randomly regenerated every time you die, there is a large variety of entities to run a way from (there are no weapons) and it has a rampant online following that have contributed to a creepy, lovcraftian world to delve into (check out the SPC wiki).
Is that the same one as this:

22-07-2012, 09:11 AM
I love survival horror games.

Slender is pretty good. The Slender Man is a terrifying character. I only heard about the game because I know about the myth.

The Resident Evil franchise is one of my favourites.

As for newer ones, the Dead Space games are sure winners.

[Image: opforum1.png]
[+] 2 users Like frankiej's post
22-07-2012, 11:41 AM
(20-07-2012 08:50 PM)FSM_scot Wrote:  
(20-07-2012 12:51 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  There's a game called Frogger. It's pretty frightening as cars try to hit you and crocodiles try to eat you. Pretty hard to survive that kind of horror.

That game haunted me for years... Tongue

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]