Suspended for saying "bless you"?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-08-2014, 01:37 PM
RE: Suspended for saying "bless you"?
(20-08-2014 01:32 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(20-08-2014 01:22 PM)Elder Cunningham Wrote:  We're not even slightly getting the whole story here.

As a former teacher, I can almost guarantee that the student is a loud, obnoxious person who takes every opportunity she can to be disruptive.

The last paragraph is the tell-tale. She was probably sent to the principal's office not because of what she said but how she said it. She's probably been warned over and over again about yelling across the room/blurting out. Likewise, the discussion about "bless you" was probably a prior topic that was discussed at a different time.

The student is more than likely using the situation to create something that isn't there... getting suspended for saying "bless you".

Yeah this is a non-issue that is being picked up because the lie the kid chose resonates with the knee-jerk reactionary crowd. If it was elsewhere they would claim it was due to race or something equally incendiary to try and shift the blame.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Revenant77x's post
20-08-2014, 01:38 PM
(20-08-2014 01:30 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(20-08-2014 01:22 PM)Elder Cunningham Wrote:  We're not even slightly getting the whole story here.

I was just thinking...I wonder if the whole story isn't bullshit to begin with.

It just has that urban legend ring to it.

My spidey sense was tingling too.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
[+] 2 users Like Cathym112's post
20-08-2014, 01:44 PM
In the article from Charlotte that Mrs Farrow posted, this paragraph jumped out at me

Quote:“There were several students that were talking about this particular faculty member there that was very demeaning to them in regard to their faith,” Winegardner told WMC. “This was something that had come up previously in the last few weeks just since the beginning of school and I shared with all of those students what their rights were.”

Makes me think the kids don't like the teacher, maybe knows the teacher might be a non believer, and was bitching at church youth group about her. The pastor added her two cents to stir the pot and teen girls hatched a plan.

The suspension was for the remainder of the period, not a big deal. We used to call it sitting in the principals office, now it has an official term I guess.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
20-08-2014, 01:45 PM
(20-08-2014 01:38 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  
(20-08-2014 01:30 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I was just thinking...I wonder if the whole story isn't bullshit to begin with.

It just has that urban legend ring to it.

My spidey sense was tingling too.

This is one of those stories that will end up on Facebook a year or two from now, saying it occurred in an unnamed university and the "professor" ended up running from the room in tears...

Or something like that. Dodgy

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 4 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
20-08-2014, 01:49 PM
Someone on my FB is talking this up and how unfair it is to the religious. Facepalm

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
20-08-2014, 01:54 PM
This is stupid. The ban on religion in schools refers to teachers forcing it on students. It cannot be lead by teachers. The only limit I would put on "Bless you" is when another student requests you don't respond to them like that and use something else. But merely overhearing it NO.

That withstanding, there still is a high degree of hypocrisy in American schools from Christians on other issues when students who are not Christian try to do the same types of things, like pray to another god, or display something other than something Christian.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-08-2014, 02:12 PM
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyath...bless-you/

Quote:So I called up Principal Peggy Dodds just a little while ago and got her side of the story before shit hits the fan in the conservative world.

According to Dodds, Turner was not given an in-school suspension. She wasn’t sent out of the classroom, either — she chose to walk out. And, most importantly, she wasn’t punished by the teacher for saying “God bless you” — however, the teacher did admonish her for “disrupting the classroom.”

Seems more plausible to me.

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
[+] 3 users Like CleverUsername's post
20-08-2014, 02:15 PM
(20-08-2014 02:12 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyath...bless-you/

Quote:So I called up Principal Peggy Dodds just a little while ago and got her side of the story before shit hits the fan in the conservative world.

According to Dodds, Turner was not given an in-school suspension. She wasn’t sent out of the classroom, either — she chose to walk out. And, most importantly, she wasn’t punished by the teacher for saying “God bless you” — however, the teacher did admonish her for “disrupting the classroom.”

Yeah.

Even the token Christian saw this one coming...

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 2 users Like kingschosen's post
20-08-2014, 02:20 PM
(20-08-2014 02:12 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyath...bless-you/

as usual, the truth comes out eventually, sadly it won't get the same amount of press.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
20-08-2014, 03:22 PM
If the story happened exactly as the student depicted it (which, IMO, is either a complete and utter lie, or the teacher is involved in it in an attempt to make atheists look bad), then the student shouldn't have been punished. If, however, the much more likely scenario - it's utter bullshit - is true, then the student should be reprimanded for this.

The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?