Sustainable cities of the future

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-11-2011, 02:59 PM
Sustainable cities of the future
Energy secretary Steven Chu said, paint all the roads and rooftops white to stop (slow?) global warming. Seems like a short-term solution to me. I think rooftops ought to have gardens on them. I think all the downtown glass cathedrals of finance will someday become hydroponic gardens to feed the populace with fresh vegetables.
Also:

How do you see the cities of the future?

It's not the mean god I have trouble with - it's the people who worship a mean god.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-11-2011, 03:58 PM
RE: Sustainable cities of the future
Self-sustaining, ecologically stable, interconnected. By interconnectedness I could see the Internet becoming almost a physical presence in this world, connecting people. How? I don't know. Who could? This is not belief, this is just speculation. As for aesthetics, I have no idea.
12-11-2011, 03:59 PM
I heard they might be floating cities.
Look at the one in Abu Dhabi

Skip to 25:34

[Image: boston-terrier-gets-scared.gif]
12-11-2011, 05:26 PM
Sez i'm not allowed to see it. Wouldn't be surprised, though, if this were one of those ultra-gated communities for the very rich to escape from the rest of us, once we get really hungry.
But i have heard that they're putting suburbs on rafts in the Netherlands, in anticipation of rising sea level and less available land surface. Many countries are already having that problem and more of it will be noticed each year.

And then:
there is some good work in architecture

What do you expect to be the main problems for old, established cities to face in your lifetime?

It's not the mean god I have trouble with - it's the people who worship a mean god.
[+] 1 user Likes Peterkin's post
12-11-2011, 07:33 PM
Arcoplex - from numerous works of sci-fi. A fat ol' building with a million peeps in it. Wink

I'm "natural-born urbanite." Country is that place you go visit once in a while.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
12-11-2011, 08:48 PM
A barren wasteland where plant life attempts to grow through heavily irradiated earth. The only other life being cockroaches and microscopic creatures hoping for more.
An asteroid barreling towards the planet containing genetic material from somewhere a millennia away. Then rebirth. The sun fades and then implodes. A black hole forms and swallows matter. Everything is gone but the universe continues.

Smile life can be so cool and fantastic. Why do we need gods to make it special?

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
12-11-2011, 09:31 PM

(12-11-2011 07:33 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Arcoplex - from numerous works of sci-fi. A fat ol' building with a million peeps in it. Wink

I'm "natural-born urbanite." Country is that place you go visit once in a while.

Arcoplex - TOTAL nightmare for me! ("Caves of Steel" by Isaac Asimov)

Cities are places you go to if you absolutely can't avoid it! Big Grin
Quote this message in a reply
12-11-2011, 11:21 PM
(12-11-2011 09:31 PM)Zatamon Wrote:  
(12-11-2011 07:33 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Arcoplex - from numerous works of sci-fi. A fat ol' building with a million peeps in it. Wink

Arcoplex - TOTAL nightmare for me! ("Caves of Steel" by Isaac Asimov)

Cities are places you go to if you absolutely can't avoid it! Big Grin

Just think of how much more room you'll have, all us city fucks packed into our sardine can. I'd love to walk out the door, take an elevator to a escalator to a vertical mag line; shopping, movies, library, park balcony; and back to my crib in a coupla hours. Wink

Thing about nature - it's all natural with the creepy crawlies, cougars... bears. Yikes.

13-11-2011, 09:53 AM
That's a fine alternative - all the humans in big hives, and the rest of the world allowed to grow wild. But how does the city sustain itself? What are the energy sources? Food sources? Industries? Distribution of goods? Governance?

13-11-2011, 11:03 AM
(13-11-2011 09:53 AM)Peterkin Wrote:  That's a fine alternative - all the humans in big hives, and the rest of the world allowed to grow wild. But how does the city sustain itself? What are the energy sources? Food sources? Industries? Distribution of goods? Governance?

Heavy industry on Luna along with "risky business" like nanotech. h3 from Luna for fusion. Geothermal. Food from genetic engineering, synthesized. Distribution along the vertical mag-rail, from the cellar to nodes along the tower. Governance? Technocratic anarchy. Self-organised, self-governing neighborhoods and fractal representation up through neighborhoods of differing sizes to individual arcoplex to the "Federation." Central AI for administration. Local AI for arcoplex. Smaller arcoplex likely to specialize in a single light industry - Converse, for instance - can still get yer Chucks. Larger arcoplex of metro-mix.

None of this stuff is outside the range of modern science. Money is not the root of all evil; we are. Money just makes it too easy to find our roots. Wink