Sustainable cities of the future

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-11-2011, 01:41 PM
RE: Sustainable cities of the future
Cool... Actually, AI administration doesn't require money; can keep track of everyone's credits and needs and contributions and debits, with no medium of exchange at all.

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Peterkin's post
13-11-2011, 02:52 PM

Actually, Canadian writer Pierre Berton, in his book "Niagara" describes a utopian thinker's plan (King Camp Gillette's Metropolis) next to Niagara Falls, powered by electricity generate from the Falls. He worked out all the details about how all of humanity (much smaller back then) could be housed in one gigantic building.

I still have nightmares about it sometime! Undecided
Quote this message in a reply
13-11-2011, 02:55 PM (This post was last modified: 13-11-2011 03:00 PM by Peterkin.)
That's a city of the future of the past.

this is a community of the future of the present.

and here is a city of the future of the future

13-11-2011, 04:14 PM
(13-11-2011 02:52 PM)Zatamon Wrote:  Actually, Canadian writer Pierre Berton, in his book "Niagara" describes a utopian thinker's plan (King Camp Gillette's Metropolis) next to Niagara Falls, powered by electricity generate from the Falls. He worked out all the details about how all of humanity (much smaller back then) could be housed in one gigantic building.

I still have nightmares about it sometime! Undecided

With technocratic anarchy, "value" is weighed against "desire;" if "country living" is found to be "desirable," one would have to be pretty valuable to the collective to get a house in the country. You'd qualify. Wink

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-11-2011, 04:23 PM

(13-11-2011 04:14 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  one would have to be pretty valuable to the collective to get a house in the country. You'd qualify. Wink

Thanks, Cantor, for the vote -- I like to think of it in a different way:

Divide the livable acerage by the number of people living on the planet and each of us is entitled to that amount of land. I have not done the calculation yet, but I am sure it would be a nice piece of building plot.

Then, each of us could build our own house on that piece of land and grow our own food. "Owning" land, to me, is an obscene concept. Like "Crocodile Dundee" said: "arguing about who owns the land is like fleas arguing about who owns the dog they are feeding on!"
[+] 1 user Likes Zatamon's post
13-11-2011, 05:31 PM
You mean, cover the whole liveable space, every square inch of it, with houses and people? Unsustainable... and truly horrible!

13-11-2011, 05:46 PM

(13-11-2011 05:31 PM)Peterkin Wrote:  You mean, cover the whole liveable space, every square inch of it, with houses and people? Unsustainable... and truly horrible!

I merely tried to illustrate that land (surface of the planet) is the birthright of every living being on this planet, including wildlife, of course.

How the allocation is done can be discussed at length, but nobody has the right to 'own' thousands, or even millions, of times the amount of land they are entitled to by their share.

It would be equivalent to allocating air you can breath.

How it is done, in a sustainable and fair way (to wildlife as well as to humans), could and should be discussed -- but for now, I propose that we don't take land-ownership (as it is fixed in the status quo) as a sane system.
[+] 1 user Likes Zatamon's post
13-11-2011, 05:54 PM
(13-11-2011 04:23 PM)Zatamon Wrote:  Then, each of us could build our own house on that piece of land and grow our own food.

Got a number ya don't wanna hear: 1.6 billion. That's the sustainability figure for agriculture without industrial combine.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-11-2011, 06:58 PM
Well, yeah. Building more of the same is ridiculous; building better is only a start.
None of it will work until after The Culling.

14-11-2011, 04:23 AM (This post was last modified: 14-11-2011 04:53 AM by mysticjbyrd.)
With the scarcity of oil, the suburbs might no longer be sustainable. Cities might very well become much larger, much more compact, and more sustainable, sort of like city states.

Ohh or is this thread talking about a fantasy future with flying cars?

(13-11-2011 05:54 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(13-11-2011 04:23 PM)Zatamon Wrote:  Then, each of us could build our own house on that piece of land and grow our own food.

Got a number ya don't wanna hear: 1.6 billion. That's the sustainability figure for agriculture without industrial combine.

There were 1 billion people alive in 1800 and by 1880 there was 1.6 billion people alive.
So yah...that # is crap and whatever source it came from is also crap.

PS: Isnt the lunar fuel, He3.
[+] 1 user Likes mysticjbyrd's post