Sustainable cities of the future

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-11-2011, 05:22 PM
RE: Sustainable cities of the future
My wife and I are thinking Saanen for a couple reasons. We like the high butterfat that they tend to produce, but most importantly, there is a Saanen breeder nearby that we trust, and that will provide a buck for us in exchange for a couple rabbits. We definitely don't want to keep our own buck, and we love to do things in trade (keeps the governments sticky fingers out of our pockets) so I think that Saanen will be our breed. Honestly, if it's a good dairy animal, that has a decent temper (and I think temper has as much to do with the individual as the breed) then I don't really care if it's a Nubian, Saanen, or a Grade.

You have just begun reading the sentence you have just finished reading.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-11-2011, 07:15 PM
(14-11-2011 04:06 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Amen to goats!

Satanist!

Kidding. I'll let you and Peterkin get back to your love fest. I cannot grow stuff here because it costs money and I'm moving - and the landlord poisoned the land to keep weeds from growing. Cities... Tongue

I love 'em, but they need work. Wink

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
14-11-2011, 08:38 PM
... and ducks....

It's not the mean god I have trouble with - it's the people who worship a mean god.
14-11-2011, 10:09 PM
I just finished reading Clifford Simak's CITY, a collection of short stories, describing a time where the world is populated by intelligent dogs who have very little idea of their origins. Humankind is long gone and the dogs think they have pretty much always been masters of the world.

The first story in the collection describes the reverse of "Citification." When flying cars are invented in the future, people move out into the country because their cars allow them to live and work anywhere they wish. Soon the cities become so unpopulated that they begin to fall into disrepair and finally disappear all together. Meanwhile. as humanity has spread out, they are less effective as a species and eventually die off.

The moral of the story...we have to preserve our earth to the best of our ability so that our pets will have a world they can enjoy and be proud of.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
14-11-2011, 10:49 PM
(14-11-2011 08:38 PM)Peterkin Wrote:  ... and ducks....

eww...

It's kinda funny, though. My neighborhood is considered by many maps to be downtown Phoenix. One of my neighbors has all kinds of wild fowl - I don't know what they are, chickens of some sort. Another has horses. Wink

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
15-11-2011, 10:00 AM
The moral of the story... A boy loves his duck - dog, i mean his dog!

It's going to be very interesting, how cities fall apart - well on its way, that disintegration - from the center outward, and regenerate in new, unexpected mutations. William Gibson's vision of the near future is a scary but fascinating one; Cory Doctorow's is probably more realistic.
I guess no central, constructive, forward-looking plans will materialize, in spite of all the wonderfully innovative science available to the councils.

It's not the mean god I have trouble with - it's the people who worship a mean god.
15-11-2011, 07:11 PM
(15-11-2011 10:00 AM)Peterkin Wrote:  The moral of the story... A boy loves his duck - dog, i mean his dog!

Is that the Harlan Ellison version of A Boy and His Dog, or the cheesy Don Johnson movie version?

Speaking of post-apocalyptic themes (ok, so I'm the one talking about post-apocalyptic themes), can we make any kind of correlation to the amount of movies and TV shows, such as The Walking Dead and other plague type themes with the rate of decline in our disintegrating cities? Is our "art" mirroring the problems of urban society, preparing us for the Zombie hordes that are sure to drive us from the cities into the country? Or is it just really cool seeing dead people walk around with flesh falling off their bodies?

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My