Swearing an oath / "So help you god"?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-12-2013, 08:07 PM
Swearing an oath / "So help you god"?
If you were a witness in a trial or deposition, and given the run-of-the-mill oath "do you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, so help you god?". How would you handle the situation?

Assuming you are going to be honest, do you just agree in order to get on with things? Or hold up proceedings to request a secular version? Or revise in your own words?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-12-2013, 08:13 PM
RE: Swearing an oath / "So help you god"?
(16-12-2013 08:07 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  If you were a witness in a trial or deposition, and given the run-of-the-mill oath "do you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, so help you god?". How would you handle the situation?

Assuming you are going to be honest, do you just agree in order to get on with things? Or hold up proceedings to request a secular version? Or revise in your own words?

This is actually a hollywood thing. Most courtrooms don't have a bible or a So help you God oath.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 4 users Like Revenant77x's post
16-12-2013, 08:14 PM
You can opt to avow or affirm instead. I am sure it's a bit different in different jurisdictions but you do not have to swear to God or even put your hand on a Bible.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
22-12-2013, 08:07 PM
It bothers me that the president & other politicians and judges are still sworn in on bibles, yes. It's silly.

THIS USER IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. THANK YOU, AND HAVE A GREAT DAY! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...a-few-days
[+] 1 user Likes Cephalotus's post
23-12-2013, 07:26 PM
(22-12-2013 08:07 PM)Cephalotus Wrote:  It bothers me that the president & other politicians and judges are still sworn in on bibles, yes. It's silly.

Keith Ellison, US Representative from Minnesota, was sworn in on a copy of the Koran owned by Thomas Jefferson.

I had to take a loyalty oath going on some 30 years ago now as a condition of employment.

"I, GirlyMan, do solemnly affirm that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God." - 5 U.S.C. ยง3331

There was also something about never being affiliated with the Communist Party but I guess that part is kinda moot at this point. Didn't bother me none. My only comment to the witnesses was that "You do realize that 'So help me God.' part just diminishes the oath?" ... just got silent smirks in response. It's a research lab after all. Even the Christians are atheists. Tongue

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 5 users Like GirlyMan's post
23-12-2013, 07:31 PM
Nice! Luckily as it turns out Rev was on target, and my oath didn't require any mention of god. I figured, if it did, I was going to tell the truth anyway, so just get on with it, and didn't want to out myself in the situation.

Although the questions that were asked really stretched my idea of what the concept of truth was. I could only give the truth of what I remembered, which was fuzzy at best. I was being asked about events long past, that I never would have thought to have been questions on. I doubt many of my answers were very "truthful" if compared to actual events... But whatcha gonna do? I did my best I suppose.
[+] 1 user Likes Smercury44's post
23-12-2013, 07:36 PM
(16-12-2013 08:13 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(16-12-2013 08:07 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  If you were a witness in a trial or deposition, and given the run-of-the-mill oath "do you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, so help you god?". How would you handle the situation?

This is actually a hollywood thing. Most courtrooms don't have a bible or a So help you God oath.

I was juror in Georgia once. I will attest that there was indeed an oath and a bible.
23-12-2013, 08:08 PM
(23-12-2013 07:36 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  
(16-12-2013 08:13 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  This is actually a hollywood thing. Most courtrooms don't have a bible or a So help you God oath.

I was juror in Georgia once. I will attest that there was indeed an oath and a bible.

Rev and Girly are in Maryland. We've been burned so many times from the belief in the existence of God requirement, first in Torcaso, then Benton and Schowgurow that we just said fuck it. Take that shit out. Big Grin

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
23-12-2013, 08:18 PM
(23-12-2013 08:08 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(23-12-2013 07:36 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  I was juror in Georgia once. I will attest that there was indeed an oath and a bible.

Rev and Girly are in Maryland. We've been burned so many times from the belief in the existence of God requirement, first in Torcaso, then Benton and Schowgurow that we just said fuck it. Take that shit out. Big Grin

Here in the Peoples Republic they don't mess with none of that shit no more. My brother used to work as a Pawnbroker so anytime some damn crackhead would try to sell a stolen item he would have to go to court as a witness. Seen him swore in at least a dozen times now never seen a Bible and no mention of a god.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
23-12-2013, 08:26 PM
(23-12-2013 08:18 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(23-12-2013 08:08 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Rev and Girly are in Maryland. We've been burned so many times from the belief in the existence of God requirement, first in Torcaso, then Benton and Schowgurow that we just said fuck it. Take that shit out. Big Grin

Here in the Peoples Republic they don't mess with none of that shit no more. My brother used to work as a Pawnbroker so anytime some damn crackhead would try to sell a stolen item he would have to go to court as a witness. Seen him swore in at least a dozen times now never seen a Bible and no mention of a god.

Georgia is a little slow on the pick up. It was like living in another country sometimes. Their entire judicial system is so messed up.
[+] 1 user Likes Losty's post