Swedenborgianism / New Church

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-06-2011, 07:54 AM
Swedenborgianism / New Church
Anyone have any comments on Swedenborg, New Church-ism? http://www.newchurch.org/

"Never underestimate how narrow-minded, petty and stupid people can be". Mark Fulton, forum member
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-06-2011, 11:58 AM (This post was last modified: 04-06-2011 12:02 PM by Dancingstan1.)
RE: Swedenborgianism / New Church
[Image: mac.jpg]

I know we shouldn't judge books by their covers, but, really, is this a guy you'd feel safe buying a new car from? Or leaving your children with? I know I wouldn't, just sayin'.

Oh, and the title of his sermon? "You Gotta Serve Somebody: Who Do You Love?"

I do? Really? And as for #2, what business is it of yours?

Quote:"There is one God, who is the creator of the universe and the preserver of the universe, thus who is the God of heaven and the God of earth."

(Arcana Coelestia 10815)

Although I know nothing about Swedenborgianism, and have no idea (nor real interest in researching it) what the "Acrcana Coelestia" is, how is this any different, in essence from mainstream christianity? Still with the imaginary friends, and the unfulfilled promises and prophesies I would expect.
(04-06-2011 11:58 AM)Dancingstan1 Wrote:  [Image: mac.jpg]

Pastor: Rev. Glenn "Mac" Frazier
Type of Event: Worship Service: Austin, TX

Sorry, forgot include the tag line for the photo.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." Groucho Marx
04-06-2011, 12:54 PM
Other name, same shit!

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
04-06-2011, 01:40 PM
Well, this is the religion my boyfriend since 6 years suddenly converted to this winter. I thought he was an atheist like me, so big, big shock. I'm still in shock and bewildered months later. I just get so depressed and angry when reading about it, so I have stayed of these websites mostly, but grips are necessary for my own sanity. We have a deep interwoven life together, there IS a profound love, and the thought of living without him is devastating. I'm the one having issues with this, not him. He's just happy. Well. I don't know what to do or how to deal with it.

"Never underestimate how narrow-minded, petty and stupid people can be". Mark Fulton, forum member
04-06-2011, 01:45 PM

No, not quite the same shit different speech variety of Christianity at all. While Christians today look toward the 2nd coming, Judgment day, etc... These folks follow a tradition that believes that's already passed.

Their tradition is based on the writings of a Scientist and Theologian Emanuel Swedenborg (1688–1772), hence the name Swedenborgianism. The First Spiritual Temple has been operational since 1883. From there it's teachings have achieved new temples and, as the link demonstrates, new names. But they all arrive from the source; Emanuel. Wink

Excerpt)
Briefly, Swedenborg's theology encompasses the following concepts:

* The Bible is the Word of God; however, its true meaning differs greatly from its obvious meaning. Furthermore, he and only he, via the help of Angels, was in the position to shed light upon the true meaning and message of the Scriptures.

* Swedenborg believed that the world of matter is a laboratory for the soul, where the material is used to "force-refine" the spiritual.

* In many ways, Swedenborg was quite universal in his concepts, for he believed that all religious systems have their divine duty and purpose and that this is not the sole virtue of Christianity.

* Swedenborg believed that the mission of the Church is absolutely necessary inasmuch as, left to his or her own devices, humanity simply cannot work out its relationship to God.

* He saw the real power of Christ's life in the example it gave to others and vehemently rejected the concept of Christian atonement and original sin.
(04-06-2011 01:40 PM)Cubic Bubbles Wrote:  Well, this is the religion my boyfriend since 6 years suddenly converted to this winter. I thought he was an atheist like me, so big, big shock. I'm still in shock and bewildered months later. I just get so depressed and angry when reading about it, so I have stayed of these websites mostly, but grips are necessary for my own sanity. We have a deep interwoven life together, there IS a profound love, and the thought of living without him is devastating. I'm the one having issues with this, not him. He's just happy. Well. I don't know what to do or how to deal with it.

Well, I'd offer the observation that if you do have a profound love then no man made tradition can come between what the two of you found and created together.
He's happy, you said. Love makes us to be happy for the one we love, because they find that what brings them peace and helps to inspire them to be a better person.

If this tradition serves that purpose for your boyfriend, enjoy. As an atheist, you don't accept any of it as true or even possible and so, since it doesn't speak to you, and as an atheist it's not meant to, it shouldn't matter to you that it's there.

When what is there, for your boyfriend, makes him more of the man you enjoy as a partner, perhaps you can believe his happiness where he finds it is just as valid as yours, when he who accepted these teachings, fell in love with an atheist. And these long months after, is still in love with an atheist and is happy in their relationship with themselves too. That, atheist or not, qualifies as a personal blessing for the both of you if ever there was one.

Believe my experience speaking when I tell you, the polar opposite of that is what will give you cause to gripe.

Heart I wish you peace.
Quote this message in a reply
04-06-2011, 03:04 PM
GassyKitten: TNANKS!

04-06-2011, 03:37 PM

Most welcome. Smile
Quote this message in a reply