Sweet Home Alabigotry,

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-09-2016, 09:41 PM
RE: Sweet Home Alabigotry,
(11-09-2016 04:31 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(11-09-2016 03:17 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  And here's the Reader's Digest version of Bryant's post fuck you fuck you fuck you NRA

and here is the Reader's Digest version of Brian's post

Fuck you fuck you fuck you

NRA!!!!!!!!

Hopefully we'll save some people some time....

You left out the "Assholes". Drinking Beverage
That's because they're saving them for later

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Icextentialist's post
12-09-2016, 10:51 AM
(11-09-2016 06:24 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  I am sick of the ignorance of ignoring that there is no overlap in selling fear and hyper nationalism. Where are sickos like this getting the idea that sitting out of a anthem which is voluntary means you deserve to be shot?

Sweet Home Alabigotry, lard its foaming up at you.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/progressive...d-be-shot/

While pushing "patriotism", this guy shows he has no clue at all about the ideals that America stands for. Facepalm

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
12-09-2016, 11:02 AM
(12-09-2016 10:51 AM)Impulse Wrote:  
(11-09-2016 06:24 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  I am sick of the ignorance of ignoring that there is no overlap in selling fear and hyper nationalism. Where are sickos like this getting the idea that sitting out of a anthem which is voluntary means you deserve to be shot?

While pushing "patriotism", this guy shows he has no clue at all about the ideals that America stands for. Facepalm

Anyone who uses the word "patriot" unironically is... worthy of extreme suspicion. Everyone who does so is typically pushing an agenda.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 4 users Like morondog's post
12-09-2016, 04:19 PM (This post was last modified: 12-09-2016 04:28 PM by RocketSurgeon76.)
(12-09-2016 11:02 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(12-09-2016 10:51 AM)Impulse Wrote:  While pushing "patriotism", this guy shows he has no clue at all about the ideals that America stands for. Facepalm

Anyone who uses the word "patriot" unironically is... worthy of extreme suspicion. Everyone who does so is typically pushing an agenda.

Agree with both of you. I love my country and its Constitution deeply, but in a very different way than those who tend to call themselves "patriots" un-ironically. That guy owes no one a pledge of allegiance, in any form. It is not owed. It is free-- that's why it's called freedom. A man or woman must volunteer allegiance willingly and without coercion, or it is worth nothing.

It is un-American to demean someone for not mechanically broadcasting a pledge that he is in no way required to give to be a member of our free society, especially when he has cause (whether or not we agree with him) to do what he is doing in protest of a great wrong, as he sees it. I happen to agree with him, in many ways, and quite strongly. But it is irrelevant to whether or not I agree that he has the right to do as he pleases, including speaking out against conformity and forced oaths and choosing to demonstrate a loyalty oath only if and as he sees fit..

I love America because we should be freely offering everyone the right to not have to lockstep with their government, and are equal participants in the democracy with all the ones who prefer lockstep. I love America because our soldiers are a volunteer force-- they pledge their sacred oath to the Constitution, and then say that they will obey the lawful orders of the officers appointed over them, the head of whom is the President. If the President exceeds the bounds of the Constitution with his orders and orders them to commit war crimes, an unlawful order, they have the absolute right to refuse the orders given to them, provided they do not endanger others by their refusal to do their duty (such as cowardice in the face of danger, fleeing a duty post that protected others, etc.), which is something we at the Nuremberg trials established was a thing, when imposing the new-at-the-time worldwide rule that the "But I was under orders!" defense was of limited value in the face of the commission of war crimes. I suspect that some day (in a couple of decades?), some of our elder statesmen's defenses will be similar to that excuse- in their trials.

I love America because you do not have to believe in the majority opinion on anything. You absolutely have the sacred duty to speak out against wrongs as you see them, or any other right or wrong you feel should be advocated for the betterment of our society... and to make that something known to your fellow voters and convince them of a better (or worse) way. Because we have, since the Vietnam War era's explosive counterculture and other protests, moved ourselves toward an understanding that we should not have a bigger force than volunteers can fill, except in the most dire circumstances of imminent invasion, etc., and that we must treat those citizens as if their lives are of as much value to us as our own. [Edit to Add: Whether we meet that obligation is another matter, entirely. Just because most of us understand this more modern understanding of the duties of a state to its citizen-soldiers, and not its serf-fodders, doesn't mean our leaders follow the new principle, as many of them are as old-school as LeMay and Kissinger in their views of the value of human life.]

The USA could really be the greatest nation on earth, if we could just get over ourselves and become worthy of admission into the Terran Federation, someday, which will probably view allowing the USA (at least as we are going, today) in the same way the EU looked at absorbing Turkey into its legal umbrella.

I just saw a meme posted to Facebook of a row of military-cross graves, such as at Arlington, and it was next to a picture of Kap, and the caption said "this is why we stand, Mr. K."

No, that is how you choose to honor the soldiers. But it's a gesture, and nothing more, and does not mean he does not honor them just as much as you do, and/or have his own way of honoring the soldiers that does not involve surrendering the freedom the soldiers fight and die for, in order to pledge in neat little rows among a mass, like a grey flock of geese marching... in goose-step. An America that is free does not require public pledges, and one that does has taken a step toward thinking like the society built by the eternal House of Kim in North Korea.

I fear we are doomed to kill what I love most about America, because we are becoming ever more a thoughtless nation, run entirely by greed and established global-industrial financial agendas, but I still love my country and its Constitution-- a living document which began with a great but flawed idea, and which has been pushing to open its doors wider in order to meet its original promise. I mean, sure we were basically the last First World country on the planet to do it, but hey, we got SLAVERY outlawed!

That is an America I fear, because I love her. Patriotism is sitting when you know you will be targeted for hatred by the people who are pushing enforced nationalism... and standing up for what you believe in by refusing to stand for something you cannot support. Whether I believe in his cause or not, that is the greatest thing an American can do... and the worst is to say he should not. There is something deeply frightening about a person who can claim to be living in a free society, on one hand, and also think that there exists such a thing as "public swearing-oath obligations" in our (or any) free society, in which people who refuse to conform by joining should be harshly chastised and hated, on the other hand.

Examine your reasoning carefully, if you can simultaneously hold both those thoughts in your head... because both of them cannot be simultaneously possible.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 6 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
12-09-2016, 05:04 PM

It must be exhausting maintaining this constant level of outrage. You must consumer like 5,000 calories a day just to keep the momentum going. Seriously, what is your blood pressure like?

And, before you took the time to besmirch every single person in Alabama, did you take the time to read the fucking article? This was the commentary of one asshole. Even within the article not everyone was on board with his comments. But, I guess nuances are hard.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
12-09-2016, 05:18 PM
(12-09-2016 04:19 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I love my country and its Constitution deeply, but in a very different way than those who tend to call themselves "patriots" un-ironically. That guy owes no one a pledge of allegiance, in any form. It is not owed. It is free-- that's why it's called freedom. A man or woman must volunteer allegiance willingly and without coercion, or it is worth nothing.

There was a series of US Flag burnings and various other desecrations going around the interwebz not long ago. I was watching a few of them recently with my kids and a friend and the friend said "That's the most disgusting thing I've ever seen. They should go to jail." I told my kids "Don't listen to him. What you are watching is precisely what makes America great. It is a direct demonstration of our fundamental principles."

#sigh
[+] 7 users Like GirlyMan's post
12-09-2016, 05:51 PM
(12-09-2016 05:18 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  What you are watching is precisely what makes America great. It is a direct demonstration of our fundamental principles."

This. Completely agree with this comment.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
12-09-2016, 06:29 PM
(12-09-2016 05:18 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(12-09-2016 04:19 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I love my country and its Constitution deeply, but in a very different way than those who tend to call themselves "patriots" un-ironically. That guy owes no one a pledge of allegiance, in any form. It is not owed. It is free-- that's why it's called freedom. A man or woman must volunteer allegiance willingly and without coercion, or it is worth nothing.

There was a series of US Flag burnings and various other desecrations going around the interwebz not long ago. I was watching a few of them recently with my kids and a friend and the friend said "That's the most disgusting thing I've ever seen. They should go to jail." I told my kids "Don't listen to him. What you are watching is precisely what makes America great. It is a direct demonstration of our fundamental principles."

Agreed! I don't like seeing it, but it is just some wrong-headed individuals with an axe to grind. They should be happy that they live in a country that tolerates their freedom of speech, to the point of burning the symbols of that very country.
12-09-2016, 06:44 PM
(12-09-2016 06:29 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(12-09-2016 05:18 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  There was a series of US Flag burnings and various other desecrations going around the interwebz not long ago. I was watching a few of them recently with my kids and a friend and the friend said "That's the most disgusting thing I've ever seen. They should go to jail." I told my kids "Don't listen to him. What you are watching is precisely what makes America great. It is a direct demonstration of our fundamental principles."

Agreed! I don't like seeing it, but it is just some wrong-headed individuals with an axe to grind. They should be happy that they live in a country that tolerates their freedom of speech, to the point of burning the symbols of that very country.

I can destroy reserve notes and not get arrested?

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post
12-09-2016, 07:06 PM
(12-09-2016 06:29 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Agreed! I don't like seeing it, ...

Boys asked me what they should if they were there, "Whatever you feel is appropriate. Personally I'd do what you're supposed to do when you're facing the Flag. Silently salute it as it burns."

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post