Sye Ten just screams "Deliver a swift kick to my genitals"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-05-2014, 04:13 PM

Sye Ten drives me absolutely crazy. Every single debate he partakes in, he constantly interrupts and tries to talk over the opponent.

He's a rapid-fire debater, who floods the "debate" with loaded questions and bald assertion.

Which, of course, is what Presuppositional Apologetics is, but I'm morbidly fascinated and utterly repulsed by his drivel.

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like rampant.a.i.'s post
28-05-2014, 06:46 PM
RE: Sye Ten just screams "Deliver a swift kick to my genitals"
(28-05-2014 04:13 PM)rampant.a.i. Wrote:  

Sye Ten drives me absolutely crazy. Every single debate he partakes in, he constantly interrupts and tries to talk over the opponent.

He's a rapid-fire debater, who floods the "debate" with loaded questions and bald assertion.

Which, of course, is what Presuppositional Apologetics is, but I'm morbidly fascinated and utterly repulsed by his drivel.

I first ran across Sye during Seth's podcast with him and DPRJones. I was fascinated with his argument because it made me forget about William Lane Craig (which was my former obsession). His argument is offensive, childish and amazingly annoying. I was not impressed with his argument (you can smell the bullshit from the Andromedia galaxy) but I was impressed with how Seth handled it. Calling it a "parlor trick" made me giggle.

If I debated Sye, or his stupid life partner Eric Hovind, I think I would have reacted much like AronRa did on the Magic Sandwich Show... "I will not be told what I know or don't know on my OWN FUCKING SHOW!" <rock on AronRa!> I would go around the merry go around twice then probably bop him on the noise just to get him to shut up. I have listened to him on every video I can find and he entertains and frustrates me all at the same time. He's like the Jerry Springer of apologetics, I just wish someone would smack him once with a chair.

Listening to him will actually lower your IQ. I have seen atheists actually kill brain cells trying to make sense of his shit. I usually listen to him as I fall asleep because his argument is boorish and it makes me sleepy. Ironically, every person he talks too understands that his argument is based on faith and some utterances from his "book" that has been debunked thoroughly. So his "presupposition" is false, but he doesn't care. He'd rather just hit you repeatedly over the head with it until you submit. I rather hit him repeatedly with a baseball bat and deform his head so much he no longer could talk, but then who would put me to sleep at night? Ahhh... I digress, I'd probably just point out this clever argument I heard an 11 year old kid use against his butt buddy Eric Hovind then walk away:

"If I don't know everything in the world then I don't know you exist. . . So that means if I don't know everything then I don't know God exists."

I bet his jaw would hit the floor. He'd recover and as I am just outside of earshot I'm sure he mumble "Repent!" and I'd snicker cause I know I don't have anything to repent for.
[+] 3 users Like etbonney's post
28-05-2014, 07:01 PM
He just uses philosophical regression and slight-of-hand equivocations in attempt to force the debate to an absurd place, and then uses a "gotcha" ploy in the form of largely inconsequential semantic arguments, and then fallaciously applies that to the general case. He is the epitome of intellectual dishonesty.
[+] 1 user Likes Michael_Tadlock's post
28-05-2014, 08:57 PM
Re: Sye Ten just screams "Deliver a swift kick to my genitals"
Oh, took me a bit to understand who it was you meant, that man is a delusion genie.

I at first was reading his name as Say-ten which is amusing.

He's got some twisted absolutes fetish, the truthful and correct response to most of his knowledge penetrating questions is I don't know.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
28-05-2014, 10:21 PM
(28-05-2014 08:57 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Oh, took me a bit to understand who it was you meant, that man is a delusion genie.

I at first was reading his name as Say-ten which is amusing.

He's got some twisted absolutes fetish, the truthful and correct response to most of his knowledge penetrating questions is I don't know.

Seth is right, it is a parlor trick. Take his "absolute truth" argument, when you can find on his website

http://www.proofthatgodexists.org/

This is not an argument for god, this is a semantic argument. When you say "absolutely true" it means the same thing as "100% true", "unequivocally true", "super duper true", or whatever adjective you prefer to put in front of the word, it still means true. The term absolute is not necessary. True means true.

He is conflating the word because the philosophical definition of true and the normative interpretation of the term are different. So when the site asks "do you believe in ABSOLUTE truth" it is proper to interpret that to mean "in the general sense, do you believe anything is true with absolute certainty" and the best answer to that question is "no". When he says "is it absolutely true there is no absolute truth" he is playing a semantic game. The definition of "true" is absolute, the normative understanding of the word is not. He is only reinforcing the philosophical definition of the word, he is not proving any argument about our universe, the nature of existence, or the general understanding of truth.

These are the worst possible arguments for Christianity, because more than being false, they are deliberately dishonest. They work because the time it takes to properly explain philosophy and the technical type of fallacy he is committing is difficult to understand, and so most people never pick up on it. It is deplorable.
[+] 1 user Likes Michael_Tadlock's post
29-05-2014, 10:15 AM

Yes this guy is very annoying but....
Let's be fair here. Aaron is the guy constantly interrupting here. I mean he won't even let those on his side talk for fuck sakes.
Although it's not as bad as listening to Matt Dillahunty say a guys name 400 times while the guest tries to explain his position.
I understand the frustration but I don't care what side a person represents, if he can't communicate civilly then fuck off.
Ironic statement, I know..
29-05-2014, 10:17 AM
[Image: CaptainObvious.jpg]

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
29-05-2014, 12:07 PM
(29-05-2014 10:15 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  

Yes this guy is very annoying but....
Let's be fair here. Aaron is the guy constantly interrupting here. I mean he won't even let those on his side talk for fuck sakes.
Although it's not as bad as listening to Matt Dillahunty say a guys name 400 times while the guest tries to explain his position.
I understand the frustration but I don't care what side a person represents, if he can't communicate civilly then fuck off.

Aaron only interrupted Sye when Sye deliberately misrepresented or outright lied about what he had just said. The frequency of these interruptions correspond directly to Sye trying to strawman what was said, seconds after it was stated, ad nauseum.

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
[+] 1 user Likes rampant.a.i.'s post
29-05-2014, 06:22 PM
(29-05-2014 12:07 PM)rampant.a.i. Wrote:  
(29-05-2014 10:15 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  Yes this guy is very annoying but....

Aaron only interrupted Sye when Sye deliberately misrepresented or outright lied about what he had just said. The frequency of these interruptions correspond directly to Sye trying to strawman what was said, seconds after it was stated, ad nauseum.
Yes. This is true for the most part. I'd still prefer if folks would let others finish their thoughts. One could easily point out the BS after the thought is completed.
Of course there was also the part when the lady (I don't remember her name) wanted to "play the game." It didn't seem like Aaron wanted to let her.