Syncope

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-04-2017, 02:24 PM
Syncope
I have had a chronic cough since I was in my twenties. I have had nasal and sinus surgery and been to all kinds of doctors about it but nothing seems to help.

I cough so bad my wife kicks me out of bed and I have to sleep in the spare room.

I looked up this problem after I passed out a couple of times. A couple of months back I had a coughing fit while I was driving. I couldn't stop coughing and it got so bad I couldn't control my breathing and draw a breath. I then passed out briefly and as I came to I was veering slightly into the opposing lane. I could barely hang onto the steering wheel but I pulled on it as hard as I could with the limited vision I had and I struck a truck with my wing mirror, just a glancing blow. I carried on and neither of us stopped.

A week or so later I had the same thing happen and my wife was with me so we managed to get the car stopped and off the road. Then, a few days later, I was watching TV with my wife and our son. I was again overcome by coughing and I got up and tried to get to the toilet for some reason but I only got a few steps and collapsed on the floor. It's very unsettling because you can't breath and you gradually pass out. It's like you are dying and you know it's happening. It's only when you pass out that you can start breathing again.

I looked this up and found it is called "sycope". It's not life threatening but it's scary. It happened twice before. Once when I got up from the sofa and walked about 10 yards and fell down in the corridor of our house and another time after dental surgery when I fell backwards into the bathtub and woke up squashed into the tub with my head against the wall, my legs over the side and the shower curtain on top of me. As I woke up all I could see was pink everywhere. I thought I had died and was in heaven but it was just light through the shower curtain.

I just cannot shake this cough. I fear it will get me in the end. I've taken antibiotics, anti-fungal meds, been to allergists and shrinks. I've had my sinuses surgically removed, had chryosurgery several times, my nose operated onto remove bone to allow me to breath better and air to circulate through my sinuses better. I don't wish this on anyone but I do wonder WTF the cause of it is and whether it's at all treatable.

There's a scene in Bonfire of the Vanities where Alan King dies after having a laughing fit while telling a joke about an airplane landing in Saudi Arabia. It's a bit like that. You just start laughing, or coughing, and you can't stop, and you wheeze yourself unconscious.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-04-2017, 02:35 PM
RE: Syncope
This only ever happened to me once and I had bronchitis/pneumonia at the time.

I was sitting in front of my PC working and coughing my heart out, and then there was a ---------, and then I was still sitting there and had no idea what I was doing or looking at. I had just blanked out and momentarily lost memory.

You may not be wanting to drive until you have figured out what causes it for you... I would look deeper into allergies. Try to find a commonality in the surroundings of the incidents. One can be allergic to the weirdest things, and combination of things. Finding out exactly what is not always a clear science. You have to do detective work.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
25-04-2017, 04:36 PM (This post was last modified: 26-04-2017 03:21 PM by Bucky Ball.)
Actually syncope is a blackout from a fall in blood pressure. If one becomes anoxic from coughing, the scenario is more complex. Don't diagnose yourself. Go see a real MD.
If something happens to you, who would I have to pick on ? Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 4 users Like Bucky Ball's post
30-04-2017, 12:27 AM
(25-04-2017 04:36 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Actually syncope is a blackout from a fall in blood pressure. If one becomes anoxic from coughing, the scenario is more complex. Don't diagnose yourself. Go see a real MD.

Gee, thanks. lol

I've had a chronic cough since I was 20 and moved from high altitude to Toronto. I ended up in hospital after going through about 3000 boxes of Kleenex. I saw every doctor I could find and eventually had my sinuses removed surgically but that didn't help. I recently went to an ENT doctor here who prescribed an anti-fungal drug. It didn't help either. I have have now started gargling with baking soda which has had a dramatic effect.

Yes, syncope results from the blood draining from the brain, usually after standing up suddenly, coughing or laughing. The problem is with what happens when this hits you and you end up having a car accident or banging your head on a wall. At one point in my life I had ideas about moving either to the arctic or the Sahara desert. I feel the strain on my heart from coughing may cause me to have a heart attack. Anyway, thanks for your thoughts.
30-04-2017, 12:44 AM
(25-04-2017 02:35 PM)Dom Wrote:  This only ever happened to me once and I had bronchitis/pneumonia at the time.

I was sitting in front of my PC working and coughing my heart out, and then there was a ---------, and then I was still sitting there and had no idea what I was doing or looking at. I had just blanked out and momentarily lost memory.

You may not be wanting to drive until you have figured out what causes it for you... I would look deeper into allergies. Try to find a commonality in the surroundings of the incidents. One can be allergic to the weirdest things, and combination of things. Finding out exactly what is not always a clear science. You have to do detective work.

I was told it was "stress" related. My first wife was convinced it was because of her, so she left. lol It gets me when I go to bed so my wife gets hacked off when I wake her off. It's like vomiting with my lungs.

I am now brushing my teeth and tongue, gargling, drinking and nasal rinsing with baking soda and it is improving. It gets worse when I eat sugar and dairy products.

My ENT doctor, after the surgery said that my upper sinuses were still infected and could not be removed so it's probably mucous coming from there.

So, I rinse my sinuses with saline and bicarbonate of soda with the top of my head on the floor.

I just thought I would leave you with that image just so you know that I don't actually take myself as seriously as people might think. It's hard to take yourself seriously when you are upside down with a bottle up your nose. Confused

The next stress is that my mother in law is moving in on Tuesday. She has progressive dementia and my sister-in-law back in Scotland couldn't cope so she brought her out here. My daughter-in-law, against my advice rented her a house near their home. I told them that if the MIL wandered off in the heat here she would end up dead from the heat in a farmer's field. She didn't get that far. She fell on day 10 just outside the front door, fractured her shoulder, and is now in hospital here unable to move her arms or legs and babbling away about her day. She tells us how she has been to the movies, out shopping etc. Looks like the end, to be honest. I've still got a 92 year old we are looking after with mild dementia who is legally blind and almost deaf, so now we have two of them. She is doing very well and is now off most of her meds. Seems her problem was mainly from fungus in the sh8t hole her son left her in to starve to death before he killed himself. The house is now clean and we have a carer and her family living with her and she's now doing great. She was a cyclist, hairdresser and dancer in her youth so she is actually very fit.

Life, eh?

Well, when the MIL moves in, I'll have to put a shirt on. Sad
30-04-2017, 06:23 AM
(30-04-2017 12:44 AM)Deltabravo Wrote:  That would be extremely stressful.
I was told it was "stress" related. My first wife was convinced it was because of her, so she left. lol It gets me when I go to bed so my wife gets hacked off when I wake her off. It's like vomiting with my lungs.

I am now brushing my teeth and tongue, gargling, drinking and nasal rinsing with baking soda and it is improving. It gets worse when I eat sugar and dairy products.

My ENT doctor, after the surgery said that my upper sinuses were still infected and could not be removed so it's probably mucous coming from there.

So, I rinse my sinuses with saline and bicarbonate of soda with the top of my head on the floor.

I just thought I would leave you with that image just so you know that I don't actually take myself as seriously as people might think. It's hard to take yourself seriously when you are upside down with a bottle up your nose. Confused

The next stress is that my mother in law is moving in on Tuesday. She has progressive dementia and my sister-in-law back in Scotland couldn't cope so she brought her out here. My daughter-in-law, against my advice rented her a house near their home. I told them that if the MIL wandered off in the heat here she would end up dead from the heat in a farmer's field. She didn't get that far. She fell on day 10 just outside the front door, fractured her shoulder, and is now in hospital here unable to move her arms or legs and babbling away about her day. She tells us how she has been to the movies, out shopping etc. Looks like the end, to be honest. I've still got a 92 year old we are looking after with mild dementia who is legally blind and almost deaf, so now we have two of them. She is doing very well and is now off most of her meds. Seems her problem was mainly from fungus in the sh8t hole her son left her in to starve to death before he killed himself. The house is now clean and we have a carer and her family living with her and she's now doing great. She was a cyclist, hairdresser and dancer in her youth so she is actually very fit.

Life, eh?

Well, when the MIL moves in, I'll have to put a shirt on. Sad

That would be stressful. Old age is not for the squeamish. And care taking is hard. Maybe you can keep a journal of what all you have been exposed to that day and find more patterns...

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
30-04-2017, 07:10 AM (This post was last modified: 30-04-2017 07:24 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(30-04-2017 12:27 AM)Deltabravo Wrote:  
(25-04-2017 04:36 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Actually syncope is a blackout from a fall in blood pressure. If one becomes anoxic from coughing, the scenario is more complex. Don't diagnose yourself. Go see a real MD.

Gee, thanks. lol

I've had a chronic cough since I was 20 and moved from high altitude to Toronto. I ended up in hospital after going through about 3000 boxes of Kleenex. I saw every doctor I could find and eventually had my sinuses removed surgically but that didn't help. I recently went to an ENT doctor here who prescribed an anti-fungal drug. It didn't help either. I have have now started gargling with baking soda which has had a dramatic effect.

Yes, syncope results from the blood draining from the brain, usually after standing up suddenly, coughing or laughing. The problem is with what happens when this hits you and you end up having a car accident or banging your head on a wall. At one point in my life I had ideas about moving either to the arctic or the Sahara desert. I feel the strain on my heart from coughing may cause me to have a heart attack. Anyway, thanks for your thoughts.

People do move to Arizona and New Mexico in the US for that reason.
Very dry air.
One of my sisters uses the saline irrigation you do, but definitely not on her head, and only when she has a cold.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
30-04-2017, 08:48 AM (This post was last modified: 30-04-2017 08:52 AM by kim.)
Duplicate

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
30-04-2017, 08:51 AM
Try a 4mg, over the counter antihistamine - start with half a tablet in the morning and half a tablet in the afternoon and then, the whole 4mg tablet at night. It will help dry up the inflamed part of your mucous membranes.

I go to Walgreens and they have their own generic brand called Wal-Finate but whatever you take, as long as it only contains chlorpheniramine maleate and no decongestant product, you should be fine.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
30-04-2017, 09:12 AM
(30-04-2017 08:51 AM)kim Wrote:  Try a 4mg, over the counter antihistamine - start with half a tablet in the morning and half a tablet in the afternoon and then, the whole 4mg tablet at night. It will help dry up the inflamed part of your mucous membranes.

I go to Walgreens and they have their own generic brand called Wal-Finate but whatever you take, as long as it only contains chlorpheniramine maleate and no decongestant product, you should be fine.

Oh Kimmy, you one smart lady.
THAT is what my dad's ENT surgeon buddy tell his peeps to take.
You do get used to it, so as people get used to it, they have to increase the dose.
My brother takes 4 tabs at a time now, (he used to do 3).
One tiny hint : get it at Walmart. Twice the pills for 1/3 the price as Wall-greens, but it's called something else. Same little bottle with a green label. I think they both buy it from a generic distributor (??) ... not sure about that.

[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post