Syncope

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-04-2017, 11:03 AM (This post was last modified: 30-04-2017 11:06 AM by kim.)
RE: Syncope
No doubt, Wally World is cheaper - I just personally don't go there on principle. Tongue

But yea - little green bottle.
I like to minimize the "inert" ingredients in everything I might need to take ... I'm an habitual label reader Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
30-04-2017, 11:07 AM
I never had the coughing fits but I've had crappy sinus problems for most of my life. In my case it's a combination of a broken nose when I was 11, my mother smoking in the house and bad allergies. As I've gotten older it's gotten worse. I finally went in and got my septum straightened out and the ENT shaved off some bone to open up the nasal passage even more so it would drain. She also put a tiny piece of flexible gortex in my septum to keep it fairly straight.

Then I was tested for allergies. I discovered I'm allergic to EVERYTHING. Dust mites, molds, horses, grass, trees, dogs and even my kitty cats. Sadcryface
I didn't get rid of my kitty cats, 'cause I'm just not gonna do that Angry , but they trained me to give myself allergy shots which I do once a week and it's made quite a bit of difference. I have to keep an epipen within reach when I do my shots but I've never had any reaction to the allergens. My ENT has found that if people are required to come into their office for the shots they get busy and don't keep up the appointments but she found that if you train the patient to give themselves the shots they usually keep it going. The needles are almost the same as diabetes needles.

I also take Singulair asthma pills, which help.

Anyway, try getting tested for allergens.

Oh, and I also use a steroid nasal spray. I love steroids! Gimme steroids!

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
30-04-2017, 11:14 AM
(30-04-2017 11:07 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I never had the coughing fits but I've had crappy sinus problems for most of my life. In my case it's a combination of a broken nose when I was 11, my mother smoking in the house and bad allergies. As I've gotten older it's gotten worse. I finally went in and got my septum straightened out and the ENT shaved off some bone to open up the nasal passage even more so it would drain. She also put a tiny piece of flexible gortex in my septum to keep it fairly straight.

Then I was tested for allergies. I discovered I'm allergic to EVERYTHING. Dust mites, molds, horses, grass, trees, dogs and even my kitty cats. Sadcryface
I didn't get rid of my kitty cats, 'cause I'm just not gonna do that Angry , but they trained me to give myself allergy shots which I do once a week and it's made quite a bit of difference. I have to keep an epipen within reach when I do my shots but I've never had any reaction to the allergens. My ENT has found that if people are required to come into their office for the shots they get busy and don't keep up the appointments but she found that if you train the patient to give themselves the shots they usually keep it going. The needles are almost the same as diabetes needles.

I also take Singulair asthma pills, which help.

Anyway, try getting tested for allergens.

Oh, and I also use a steroid nasal spray. I love steroids! Gimme steroids!

I have had my deviated septum repaired and sinuses replumbed....it worked well for a couple years for general purposes. Seasonal allergies are still a big problem but I don't get sinus infections much any more. Went from one a month to one a year which is a great.

When it gets bad I take Zytec-D but only for a few days. I also keep OTC nasal spray with menthol on hand and some steroidal spray from overseas - I try to use both sparingly. I used to be completely hooked on nasal spray.

I should probably get tested for allergies but I figure the list of reactions will be so long I would just have to live in a bubble to avoid it all. Undecided

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
01-05-2017, 05:07 AM
Since sinuses are spaces, how does one have sinuses removed? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-05-2017, 05:12 AM
(01-05-2017 05:07 AM)Chas Wrote:  Since sinuses are spaces, how does one have sinuses removed? Consider

By the same procedure to change blinker fluid.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
01-05-2017, 09:16 AM
(01-05-2017 05:12 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  
(01-05-2017 05:07 AM)Chas Wrote:  Since sinuses are spaces, how does one have sinuses removed? Consider

By the same procedure to change blinker fluid.

Could floss them out with flight line.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
01-05-2017, 09:57 AM
(25-04-2017 02:24 PM)Deltabravo Wrote:  I've taken antibiotics, anti-fungal meds, been to allergists and shrinks. I've had my sinuses surgically removed, had chryosurgery several times, my nose operated onto remove bone to allow me to breath better and air to circulate through my sinuses better. I don't wish this on anyone but I do wonder WTF the cause of it is and whether it's at all treatable.

Have you tried codeine-based cough syrup?

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
01-05-2017, 10:01 AM (This post was last modified: 01-05-2017 10:04 AM by RearViewMirror.)
I work as a Paramedic on the FD for 23 yrs.

Syncope is temporary loss of consciousness described as "fainting" or "passing out." It may be caused by emotional stress, pain, pooling of blood in the legs due to sudden changes in body position, overheating, dehydration, heavy sweating or exhaustion. Syncope may occur during violent coughing spells (especially in men) because of rapid changes in blood pressure.

My first question to you is what is your normal "resting" blood pressure? I, and my daughter have extremely low blood pressure. Every time I go for a physical my B/P is usually 100/ 50 something (sometimes even lower) depending on how much movement I've done in the period of time before the B/P was taken. I don't have the coughing spells as you describe but when you do have those spells it shunts blood away from your heart as your lungs are working harder due to the coughing spells which leads to fainting / syncope.

My 12 yr old daughter suffers the same symptoms as I do. If I sit for a while and get up relatively quickly I get lightheaded. My daughter has passed out 4 times in the last month so she is on Fludrocortisone which has helped. If your Dr. hasn't tried that treatment with your symptoms ask him about it and see if that would be a viable option for you.

Hope this helps.

I get to decide what my life looks like, not the other way around.
01-05-2017, 05:35 PM
(01-05-2017 09:16 AM)Fireball Wrote:  
(01-05-2017 05:12 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  By the same procedure to change blinker fluid.

Could floss them out with flight line.

Laugh out load

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
06-05-2017, 01:53 PM
(01-05-2017 10:01 AM)RearViewMirror Wrote:  I work as a Paramedic on the FD for 23 yrs.

Syncope is temporary loss of consciousness described as "fainting" or "passing out." It may be caused by emotional stress, pain, pooling of blood in the legs due to sudden changes in body position, overheating, dehydration, heavy sweating or exhaustion. Syncope may occur during violent coughing spells (especially in men) because of rapid changes in blood pressure.

My first question to you is what is your normal "resting" blood pressure? I, and my daughter have extremely low blood pressure. Every time I go for a physical my B/P is usually 100/ 50 something (sometimes even lower) depending on how much movement I've done in the period of time before the B/P was taken. I don't have the coughing spells as you describe but when you do have those spells it shunts blood away from your heart as your lungs are working harder due to the coughing spells which leads to fainting / syncope.

My 12 yr old daughter suffers the same symptoms as I do. If I sit for a while and get up relatively quickly I get lightheaded. My daughter has passed out 4 times in the last month so she is on Fludrocortisone which has helped. If your Dr. hasn't tried that treatment with your symptoms ask him about it and see if that would be a viable option for you.

Hope this helps.

My bp today was 121/91.

I went trough a battery of tests and was diagnosed with vasomotor rhinitis. The situation is brought on by changes in temperature, stress, any kind of fumes etc. I've tried everything in the book and nothing works. A lot of things make it worse so I think it's more of a stress induced illness. I also get a red blotch on the bridge of my nose from this.

I looked up cortisone treatments and they don't seem to help with symptoms, just inflamation. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3650992/

I think it's just one of those things. My father lived with it all his life and so will I. I'll just have to take it easy...

Anyway, we went to dinner with some friends last night and they all started attacking me because they said I was coughing a lot. I explained what the problem was but even my wife was on my back saying I was refusing to get help and I could die, and that would be bad for her etc. I think the most annoying thing about this is that they seem to think that I'm doing this on purpose and it bothers me less than it bothers them. Like I enjoy coughing until my eyes bug out... Really made me feel like shit, to be honest.