Syncope

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-05-2017, 08:34 AM
RE: Syncope
(06-05-2017 01:53 PM)Deltabravo Wrote:  My bp today was 121/91.

I went trough a battery of tests and was diagnosed with vasomotor rhinitis. The situation is brought on by changes in temperature, stress, any kind of fumes etc. I've tried everything in the book and nothing works. A lot of things make it worse so I think it's more of a stress induced illness. I also get a red blotch on the bridge of my nose from this.

I looked up cortisone treatments and they don't seem to help with symptoms, just inflamation. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3650992/

I think it's just one of those things. My father lived with it all his life and so will I. I'll just have to take it easy...

Anyway, we went to dinner with some friends last night and they all started attacking me because they said I was coughing a lot. I explained what the problem was but even my wife was on my back saying I was refusing to get help and I could die, and that would be bad for her etc. I think the most annoying thing about this is that they seem to think that I'm doing this on purpose and it bothers me less than it bothers them. Like I enjoy coughing until my eyes bug out... Really made me feel like shit, to be honest.

Your BP is a little high on the diastolic side. That's to be expected due to the stress you are most likely feeling. Since you were diagnosed with Vasomotor Rhinitis it makes treatment difficult until you can find out what triggers it. There are OTC meds but I seriously doubt they would have any benefit to you since your case seems severe. There are a few prescribed meds that could help though I figure you have tried several. Mometasone, ipratropium, and azelastine to name a few. Surgery is also an option that may benefit you but that would require consultation with your Dr.

You bring up the dinner you went to and that is an issue in itself. The added stress of people not understanding your situation only makes it worse. I know you don't want this to happen. No one would. Family support (and understanding) would help greatly in this situation until you can hopefully get it resolved.

I get to decide what my life looks like, not the other way around.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes RearViewMirror's post
08-05-2017, 08:41 AM
(06-05-2017 01:53 PM)Deltabravo Wrote:  Anyway, we went to dinner with some friends last night and they all started attacking me because they said I was coughing a lot. I explained what the problem was but even my wife was on my back saying I was refusing to get help and I could die, and that would be bad for her etc. I think the most annoying thing about this is that they seem to think that I'm doing this on purpose and it bothers me less than it bothers them. Like I enjoy coughing until my eyes bug out... Really made me feel like shit, to be honest.

I run into this often. This is one of the hardest things about having chronic medical conditions. No one who has not personally gone through them will ever truly understand. They may try to empathize and offer what they think is help, but It's like trying to get a frog to understand flying. It was only when my wife got RA that she understood the struggle to just exist some days. I can't count the number of times I've been told its in my head, or have you tried such and such (insert quack medical treatment here), etc. My response has become: Nod, smile, and then politely tell them to "Fuck off".

Syncope sucks. My BP will drop, and my heart rate will spike by 70 BPM when I stand. It may not kill you, but the long stops at the bottom of the stairs can. My coworkers know, these days, if they see me on the floor to check to see it I hit my head.
[+] 2 users Like deerseed's post
09-05-2017, 01:50 PM
(01-05-2017 05:07 AM)Chas Wrote:  Since sinuses are spaces, how does one have sinuses removed? Consider

They put you under general anesthetic, pull your upper lips back and make incisions to expose your cheek bones. Then they drill holes in your cheek bones just under your eyes, opening up the sinuses. They then suck out all the festering puss in your sinus "cavities", which you refer to as the spaces and remove your "sinuses" which are the mucous membranes attached to the bones of your face. Then they take a drill or hammer and chisel and knock holes in the bone between your sinus cavities and your nasal passage to allow more air into the cavities. What you are left with is sinus cavities devoid of mucous membrane, which then fill with blood, which then hardens, leaving you with some kind of crusty stuff instead of mucous membrane, so they told me.
09-05-2017, 02:21 PM
(08-05-2017 08:41 AM)deerseed Wrote:  
(06-05-2017 01:53 PM)Deltabravo Wrote:  Anyway, we went to dinner with some friends last night and they all started attacking me because they said I was coughing a lot. I explained what the problem was but even my wife was on my back saying I was refusing to get help and I could die, and that would be bad for her etc. I think the most annoying thing about this is that they seem to think that I'm doing this on purpose and it bothers me less than it bothers them. Like I enjoy coughing until my eyes bug out... Really made me feel like shit, to be honest.

I run into this often. This is one of the hardest things about having chronic medical conditions. No one who has not personally gone through them will ever truly understand. They may try to empathize and offer what they think is help, but It's like trying to get a frog to understand flying. It was only when my wife got RA that she understood the struggle to just exist some days. I can't count the number of times I've been told its in my head, or have you tried such and such (insert quack medical treatment here), etc. My response has become: Nod, smile, and then politely tell them to "Fuck off".

Syncope sucks. My BP will drop, and my heart rate will spike by 70 BPM when I stand. It may not kill you, but the long stops at the bottom of the stairs can. My coworkers know, these days, if they see me on the floor to check to see it I hit my head.

Yes, that sums it up.

I will find myself in a fit of coughing and feel like my lungs are going to pop out of my mouth. Then someone turns to me and suggests I get something for it, because it is obviously annoying them.

When I was a child, I would lie in bed coughing at night and my mother would come to my door, open it and tell me to stop. As further punishment she would give me a Megazone, which is the most vile tasting cough "candy" ever invented.

I did have considerable reservations about meeting up with these "friends". They are both ex-British army officers. He was in intelligence gathering and he is a 70 year old "know it all". They are both Trump supporters...'nuff said. I contemplated how I was going to endure the meal and what I could say after having told him nine months ago that Trump was mentally ill and wouldn't win. I think he just enjoyed making me squirm.

My wife watches TV late at night on her laptop and keeps me awake until the wee hours. That makes me stressed and I cough, and then she turns the volume up and tells me to go sleep some place else because my cough is like a "bullet" going through her head.

I think it only got through to her how awful this is for me when I had a coughing fit and got up from the sofa to go to the bathroom. I started to pass out as soon as I stood up and just slumped down onto my knees. As I was losing consciousness, thinking about how this was what it was like to die and see your wife and kid sitting in front of you, gazing into their laptop screens without even turning their heads, I was able to say "help me" because I figured I was going to go backwards and smack my head on the floor.

Now, my wife throws this incident in my face, even at the dinner, as proof of how I don't care about her and my son enough to go get a checkup. Our friends listened to this and agreed with her, saying I was irresponsible not to go see a doctor.

It is stress though. So, I could get any number of remedies, which I have, and they don't stop the nervous reaction.

Huh
09-05-2017, 10:03 PM
(09-05-2017 01:50 PM)Deltabravo Wrote:  
(01-05-2017 05:07 AM)Chas Wrote:  Since sinuses are spaces, how does one have sinuses removed? Consider

They put you under general anesthetic, pull your upper lips back and make incisions to expose your cheek bones. Then they drill holes in your cheek bones just under your eyes, opening up the sinuses. They then suck out all the festering puss in your sinus "cavities", which you refer to as the spaces and remove your "sinuses" which are the mucous membranes attached to the bones of your face. Then they take a drill or hammer and chisel and knock holes in the bone between your sinus cavities and your nasal passage to allow more air into the cavities. What you are left with is sinus cavities devoid of mucous membrane, which then fill with blood, which then hardens, leaving you with some kind of crusty stuff instead of mucous membrane, so they told me.

Then you misunderstood.
Quote:Sinus Anatomy. The paranasal sinuses (“the sinuses”) are air-filled cavities located within the bones of the face and around the nasal cavity and eyes.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-05-2017, 04:59 AM
(09-05-2017 02:21 PM)Deltabravo Wrote:  
(08-05-2017 08:41 AM)deerseed Wrote:  I run into this often. This is one of the hardest things about having chronic medical conditions. No one who has not personally gone through them will ever truly understand. They may try to empathize and offer what they think is help, but It's like trying to get a frog to understand flying. It was only when my wife got RA that she understood the struggle to just exist some days. I can't count the number of times I've been told its in my head, or have you tried such and such (insert quack medical treatment here), etc. My response has become: Nod, smile, and then politely tell them to "Fuck off".

Yes, that sums it up.

I will find myself in a fit of coughing and feel like my lungs are going to pop out of my mouth. Then someone turns to me and suggests I get something for it, because it is obviously annoying them.

When I was a child, I would lie in bed coughing at night and my mother would come to my door, open it and tell me to stop. As further punishment she would give me a Megazone, which is the most vile tasting cough "candy" ever invented.

I did have considerable reservations about meeting up with these "friends". They are both ex-British army officers. He was in intelligence gathering and he is a 70 year old "know it all". They are both Trump supporters...'nuff said. I contemplated how I was going to endure the meal and what I could say after having told him nine months ago that Trump was mentally ill and wouldn't win. I think he just enjoyed making me squirm.

My wife watches TV late at night on her laptop and keeps me awake until the wee hours. That makes me stressed and I cough, and then she turns the volume up and tells me to go sleep some place else because my cough is like a "bullet" going through her head.

I think it only got through to her how awful this is for me when I had a coughing fit and got up from the sofa to go to the bathroom. I started to pass out as soon as I stood up and just slumped down onto my knees. As I was losing consciousness, thinking about how this was what it was like to die and see your wife and kid sitting in front of you, gazing into their laptop screens without even turning their heads, I was able to say "help me" because I figured I was going to go backwards and smack my head on the floor.

Now, my wife throws this incident in my face, even at the dinner, as proof of how I don't care about her and my son enough to go get a checkup. Our friends listened to this and agreed with her, saying I was irresponsible not to go see a doctor.

It is stress though. So, I could get any number of remedies, which I have, and they don't stop the nervous reaction.

Huh

I gave you a few options above. I sympathise with your situation.

I get to decide what my life looks like, not the other way around.
26-05-2017, 11:35 AM
(09-05-2017 10:03 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(09-05-2017 01:50 PM)Deltabravo Wrote:  They put you under general anesthetic, pull your upper lips back and make incisions to expose your cheek bones. Then they drill holes in your cheek bones just under your eyes, opening up the sinuses. They then suck out all the festering puss in your sinus "cavities", which you refer to as the spaces and remove your "sinuses" which are the mucous membranes attached to the bones of your face. Then they take a drill or hammer and chisel and knock holes in the bone between your sinus cavities and your nasal passage to allow more air into the cavities. What you are left with is sinus cavities devoid of mucous membrane, which then fill with blood, which then hardens, leaving you with some kind of crusty stuff instead of mucous membrane, so they told me.

Then you misunderstood.
Quote:Sinus Anatomy. The paranasal sinuses (“the sinuses”) are air-filled cavities located within the bones of the face and around the nasal cavity and eyes.

I had the lining of my sinus passages removed. Now , fuck off.
26-05-2017, 12:25 PM
(10-05-2017 04:59 AM)RearViewMirror Wrote:  
(09-05-2017 02:21 PM)Deltabravo Wrote:  Yes, that sums it up.

Huh

I gave you a few options above. I sympathise with your situation.

Thanks. I've started taking codeine before bed so I don't wake my wife up coughing. I went through a series of tests and consultations with doctors in my 20s and they could isolate any allergy or other cause and eventually I was told it was a nervous condition. I've done some research recently and it seems to be a genetic condition, which I agree with since my father had exactly the same problem. It seems to hit at age 20 or so. There are things which can alleviate it but, in the end, it's a neurological condition and probably incurable but the symptoms can be alleviated.
26-05-2017, 01:28 PM
(09-05-2017 10:03 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(09-05-2017 01:50 PM)Deltabravo Wrote:  They put you under general anesthetic, pull your upper lips back and make incisions to expose your cheek bones. Then they drill holes in your cheek bones just under your eyes, opening up the sinuses. They then suck out all the festering puss in your sinus "cavities", which you refer to as the spaces and remove your "sinuses" which are the mucous membranes attached to the bones of your face. Then they take a drill or hammer and chisel and knock holes in the bone between your sinus cavities and your nasal passage to allow more air into the cavities. What you are left with is sinus cavities devoid of mucous membrane, which then fill with blood, which then hardens, leaving you with some kind of crusty stuff instead of mucous membrane, so they told me.

Then you misunderstood.

no, you are a pedant and an idiot.

The sinuses are not the air. Nor is the doughnut the hole.

As for your skills as a self-styled critic of other people's use of words, here's a definition of "sinus": sinus (n.) from Medieval Latin sinus, from Latin sinus "bend, fold, curve, a bent surface

When someone takes an antibiotic for Sinusitis, they are medicating the membrane or surface of the sinus passage. The sinus is the membrane, not the air.

Please do not comment or post on any thread I have started. Your pedantry is not appreciated. I a have been through all your posts on this forum and you have not posted anything of substance here. You are a troll. You mock people. Post irrelevant and simplistic ideas which show you to be a narrow minded man who has nothing to add to any dialogue. Your display of flags in your signature suggests you are also a white supremacist. So, Go Away and annoy someone else. OK!
27-05-2017, 08:41 AM
My mother in law is here in hospital recovering from diabetic coma following lousy treatment for a fractured arm. The hospital forgot to check her sugar levels. They assumed her behaviour was due to Alzheimers and told us to take her home, where she slipped into a coma.

It's interesting that there are now drugs being developed for neurological illnesses: https://www.google.com/patents/EP2560631A2?cl=en
This one is in Nature https://www.nature.com/articles/srep16084

It's all come on the back of Ameisen's book about alcoholism.