Synesthesia - Is it really uncommon?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-07-2013, 01:52 AM
It's been a few years since I discovered I have synesthesia and since then I've been wondering how it is possible for other people not to see things the way I do.

My brother is a synesthete too and we talk a lot about it (convos like "3 is green", "noooo 3 is blue") but the rest of our family laugh about it as it sounds quite crazy to them. Other people I've mentioned it to ask me if I smoked anything weird. I tell them that I feel their name as "yellowish with a bit of pink" for example and they look at me as if I'm crazy. I have pictures in my head about where days and months and years are on a "map" of some kind and of course all their names have colors too. It's not that I actually see the colors, but the thought of a specific color is triggered by letters or names.
I believe this was one of the main reasons I've been extremely good at spelling since I was a little kid and the reason I easily remember numbers. For example, I always remember my credit card PIN after having looked at it once, because I remember there's black, white, pink and green, in this specific order.

The thing is, I discovered I had it after coming across the word by accident and reading about it on Wikipedia. After seeing some pictures there, I thought "wait, isn't that how things are supposed to be anyway?". This makes me believe that people with synesthesia must be many, they just don't realize that their way of seeing things isn't "normal".

Any synesthetes here? Thoughts?

Many verses are like silver threads
tied on the chimes of the stars-
if you pull them,
a silver peal makes the horizon vibrate.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-07-2013, 02:01 AM
If there are any here, you just gave away your PIN to them! Tongue

Fascinating stuff. I'm not a synthesete, but I've been in therapy and am realizing the way I think about situations is not all that common, but I just thought everyone else thought that way too, they were just more skilled in the brain than I was. Who knew? It's weird to think about the way other people think. I'm trying to imagine what you really experience. In sounds kinda cool to have everything connect to color. Thumbsup

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
24-07-2013, 02:18 AM
RE: Synesthesia - Is it really uncommon?
I'm not a synesthete, but I play one on tv.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating yogi, CAAT-LY.
Yeah, for verily I say unto thee, and this we know : Jebus no likey that which doth tickle thee unto thy nether regions.

24-07-2013, 02:19 AM
Luckily for my money and me, synesthetes don't share the same number-color associations Tongue

What you are talking about must be similar, it's all the little tricks of your brain that make you see things differently from others. It's even hard for me to imagine what other synesthetes are experiencing, for example those who link sounds and colors. I hardly see it as "cool", since it's like a colorblind man telling you how cool it must be to see in color, it's something you're used to since you're born (did that sound cocky? Blink ) But it sure makes you appreciate what you have!

(by the way, "Erxomai"? I've seen your username before and since I'm Greek, I always wanted to ask you why you chose it Tongue)

(24-07-2013 02:18 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I'm not a synesthete, but I play one on tv.

Hm?

if you pull them,
24-07-2013, 02:42 AM
It's the same for me, my brain always associated numbers and letters with colors (and volume), although I didn't think it was the same for everyone, I actually thought I must be messed up a little Big Grin. And then, about 2-3 years ago I read about synesthesia and learned that I am not crazy, at least not for that matter. I then talked to my mum about this and she told me she's like that, too. I never talked to my brother about it, would be interesting to know if that's a family thing..
And like you, I think it's very helpful when it comes to spelling and remembering numbers Smile

[Image: panda_0077.gif]
24-07-2013, 08:09 AM
I suspect synesthesia is a continuum, like many other traits. So it may not be rare, per se.

I think my abilities with numbers and words are complex interactions of sensory association, though not color or flavor. They're spatial.

Yeah, I'm spatial. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
24-07-2013, 08:33 AM
I associate time intervals with color. Does that mean I am a chronosynesthete? Consider

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
25-07-2013, 02:35 AM
(24-07-2013 08:09 AM)Chas Wrote:  I suspect synesthesia is a continuum, like many other traits. So it may not be rare, per se.

I think my abilities with numbers and words are complex interactions of sensory association, though not color or flavor. They're spatial.

Yeah, I'm spatial.

I think you're right, it makes sense.
I associate time with space, dates, years, days, even numbers, but I'm not sure about words, I now wonder if the way I used to think about syntax at school had anything to do with my synesthesia.

(24-07-2013 08:33 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  I associate time intervals with color. Does that mean I am a chronosynesthete? Consider

There are many "categories" of synesthetes, but people may have many types of synesthesia at the same time, others stronger, others weaker. The word "chronosynesthete" sounds cool but I doubt it exists Tongue
Interesting association though.

if you pull them,
25-07-2013, 03:16 AM
(25-07-2013 02:35 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  There are many "categories" of synesthetes, but people may have many types of synesthesia at the same time, others stronger, others weaker. The word "chronosynesthete" sounds cool but I doubt it exists Tongue
Interesting association though.

It should be a word though. Tongue
Yes, it is odd. I heard of something about synesthesia before, but I never thought to apply it to my associating colors with time. Maybe it is an entirely separate "thing"? I don't know. Consider

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
25-07-2013, 03:40 AM
(25-07-2013 03:16 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  Yes, it is odd. I heard of something about synesthesia before, but I never thought to apply it to my associating colors with time. Maybe it is an entirely separate "thing"? I don't know. Consider

Well, I'm sure it's synesthesia, since synesthesia is defined as "a neurological condition in which stimulation of one sensory or cognitive pathway leads to automatic, involuntary experiences in a second sensory or cognitive pathway". The association could be with anything. It's just probably that yours is not as common. I'm really curious though, I can't imagine how you can associate colors with time, how does it work?

if you pull them,