Synesthesia - Is it really uncommon?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-07-2013, 04:45 AM
RE: Synesthesia - Is it really uncommon?
(25-07-2013 03:40 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  Well, I'm sure it's synesthesia, since synesthesia is defined as "a neurological condition in which stimulation of one sensory or cognitive pathway leads to automatic, involuntary experiences in a second sensory or cognitive pathway". The association could be with anything. It's just probably that yours is not as common. I'm really curious though, I can't imagine how you can associate colors with time, how does it work?

Well, when I think of time its units of measurement, I associate a color with them. Minutes, to me, are blue. Hours are green. With larger increments, like days, months, and years, they vary in color. For example, Mondays are blue and, as the week progresses, the color transitions to lighter colors like orange and yellow. It is sort of like a ring separated into different segments colored differently depending on the unit and the name.

Chronosynesthesia sounds so bad ass.

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-07-2013, 04:51 AM
(25-07-2013 04:45 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  Well, when I think of time its units of measurement, I associate a color with them. Minutes, to me, are blue. Hours are green. With larger increments, like days, months, and years, they vary in color. For example, Mondays are blue and, as the week progresses, the color transitions to lighter colors like orange and yellow. It is sort of like a ring separated into different segments colored differently depending on the unit and the name.

Oh, never thought of that! No such associations for me, except for the days of the weeks as you said, which have colors. And they are in line, not in a ring Tongue
Interesting!

(25-07-2013 04:45 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  Chronosynesthesia sounds so bad ass.

It does. Now use it to impress people Cool

Many verses are like silver threads
tied on the chimes of the stars-
if you pull them,
a silver peal makes the horizon vibrate.
[+] 1 user Likes undergroundp's post
25-07-2013, 04:59 AM
(25-07-2013 04:51 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  It does. Now use it to impress people Cool

Looks like it is time to impress the ladies.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ7BA1OIUSiib29kaqTlOq...onESoJenYQ]

Poonjab
25-07-2013, 05:34 AM
(24-07-2013 08:09 AM)Chas Wrote:  I suspect synesthesia is a continuum, like many other traits. So it may not be rare, per se.

I think my abilities with numbers and words are complex interactions of sensory association, though not color or flavor. They're spatial.

Yeah, I'm spatial. Drinking Beverage

You have abilities with words? Drinking Beverage
25-07-2013, 05:37 AM
(24-07-2013 01:52 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  It's been a few years since I discovered I have synesthesia and since then I've been wondering how it is possible for other people not to see things the way I do.

My brother is a synesthete too and we talk a lot about it (convos like "3 is green", "noooo 3 is blue") but the rest of our family laugh about it as it sounds quite crazy to them. Other people I've mentioned it to ask me if I smoked anything weird. I tell them that I feel their name as "yellowish with a bit of pink" for example and they look at me as if I'm crazy. I have pictures in my head about where days and months and years are on a "map" of some kind and of course all their names have colors too. It's not that I actually see the colors, but the thought of a specific color is triggered by letters or names.
I believe this was one of the main reasons I've been extremely good at spelling since I was a little kid and the reason I easily remember numbers. For example, I always remember my credit card PIN after having looked at it once, because I remember there's black, white, pink and green, in this specific order.

The thing is, I discovered I had it after coming across the word by accident and reading about it on Wikipedia. After seeing some pictures there, I thought "wait, isn't that how things are supposed to be anyway?". This makes me believe that people with synesthesia must be many, they just don't realize that their way of seeing things isn't "normal".

Any synesthetes here? Thoughts?

People don't experience things like you do because they aren't you.
25-07-2013, 05:46 AM
(25-07-2013 05:37 AM)I and I Wrote:  People don't experience things like you do because they aren't you.

There are people who share the shame attributes and sensations depending on the experience. Shut the fuck up, dickshit.

Poonjab
25-07-2013, 05:28 PM
Although the full blown synesthesia (tasting colors, seeing sounds, etc.) is rare, everyone possesses a very minor amount of sensory crossover. When I say minor, I mean minor. Really it's just enough to easily understand simple concepts like someone wearing a loud shirt; though it has nothing to do with sound, the description doesn't confuse people. A fuzzy memory or sharp cheese have no relation to tactile senses, but, again, are readily understood.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcmPL4codsbtiJhpFav3r...-w_49ttW6a]
25-07-2013, 05:30 PM
So I researched it today, and it turns out it is called Space-Time Synesthesia, and it is extremely uncommon. -_-

Poonjab
26-07-2013, 01:57 AM
(25-07-2013 05:28 PM)Jeffasaurus Wrote:  Although the full blown synesthesia (tasting colors, seeing sounds, etc.) is rare, everyone possesses a very minor amount of sensory crossover. When I say minor, I mean minor. Really it's just enough to easily understand simple concepts like someone wearing a loud shirt; though it has nothing to do with sound, the description doesn't confuse people. A fuzzy memory or sharp cheese have no relation to tactile senses, but, again, are readily understood.

Well, I do believe it's more like a continuum like Chas said.

The "minor amount" you are talking about is not enough to count as synesthesia. Seeing the tests they put people through to determine whether they have synesthesia or not, they would not even count me as a synesthete, but I feel I am, because when I say that the days of the week are in line, that time goes back up to 1 A.D. and then it takes a turn to the right and then at around 2000 B.C. it takes a turn to the left and that my name is yellow and pink, most people think I'm crazy and they can't relate to it.

Then, there are people who feel these things in extreme ways and would be counted as 100% synesthetes. The in-between "levels" must vary greatly, but there is a point, I believe, where it starts being synesthesia.

It is a neurological condition which possibly arises from the fact that people do possess an amount of sensory crossover as you say.

Many verses are like silver threads
tied on the chimes of the stars-
if you pull them,
a silver peal makes the horizon vibrate.
[+] 1 user Likes undergroundp's post
26-07-2013, 02:14 AM
I wish I had that, but alas, I don't... I do have an extremely active imagination and can see whatever I want as if it was there Big Grin

[Image: sigvacachica.png]