Synesthesia - Is it really uncommon?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-07-2013, 03:43 AM
RE: Synesthesia - Is it really uncommon?
(26-07-2013 01:57 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  The "minor amount" you are talking about is not enough to count as synesthesia. Seeing the tests they put people through to determine whether they have synesthesia or not, they would not even count me as a synesthete, but I feel I am, because when I say that the days of the week are in line, that time goes back up to 1 A.D. and then it takes a turn to the right and then at around 2000 B.C. it takes a turn to the left and that my name is yellow and pink, most people think I'm crazy and they can't relate to it.

Wait, so you do envision time as a sort of "track" or circle? Consider

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-07-2013, 09:14 AM
(26-07-2013 03:43 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  Wait, so you do envision time as a sort of "track" or circle? Consider

Yeap. That's irrelevant to the color thing. When someone tells me "I'll go to the doctor in September", an image comes to my head with all the months of the year in a square with rounded corners Tongue Then, I focus to that specific month like a "close-up". Same goes with days of the weeks and centuries.
It is impossible for me to think about a month, year, day without putting it on an image in my head.

Many verses are like silver threads
tied on the chimes of the stars-
if you pull them,
a silver peal makes the horizon vibrate.
27-07-2013, 11:39 AM
(26-07-2013 09:14 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  
(26-07-2013 03:43 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  Wait, so you do envision time as a sort of "track" or circle? Consider

Yeap. That's irrelevant to the color thing. When someone tells me "I'll go to the doctor in September", an image comes to my head with all the months of the year in a square with rounded corners Tongue Then, I focus to that specific month like a "close-up". Same goes with days of the weeks and centuries.
It is impossible for me to think about a month, year, day without putting it on an image in my head.

I see that too, just with color! Big Grin

Poonjab
31-07-2013, 08:50 AM
I noticed that strange look on some ppl's faces, whenever I started to talk about colors of music or other sounds. I was convinced, that everyone experiences something similar, only that they perhaps couldn't describe it. However, I found out by accident that my condition actually was kinda rare. It might sound weird, but I never really looked deeper into it, b/c it was surrounding me all the time, and I actually tried to find ways to suppress it, since it often distracted me, sometimes overloaded me. I could never get rid of it, but I managed to not always to pay attention to it. I live with it and it is a natural part of my everyday sensation. From time to time, I dare to take a closer look at it, and I discovered that I can actually use the sensations for example to remember people (the color/shape pattern of their voices), select music by color depending on my mood, select sounds to focus on in order to avoid sensory overload in loud or chaotic places. Now that I realized that it is something rare, it makes it hard for me to talk about it, even mention it. It took me many years to overcome a certain amount of shyness, I would not have been able to write this post a few years ago, and even now it feels awkward.

"Some part of our being knows this is where we came from. We long to return, and we can, because the cosmos is also within us. We're made of star stuff. We are a way for the cosmos to know itself." (Carl Sagan)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
31-07-2013, 07:29 PM (This post was last modified: 31-07-2013 07:44 PM by mysterics.)
Synesthesia seems like one of those things that's really cool to experience sometimes but distracting in others, I've never thought of it as a continuum condition before, but I guess it makes sense, for example almost everyone associate colours, concepts and actions with things that are questionably related; colours with sensations, objects or concepts, or associate music with a time or place; Red is 'hot', a painting can be 'loud' a kind person is said to be 'big' etc.

Experiments show that most people associate certain pronounced sounds with certain shapes, regardless of native tongue, the page even mentions it's akin to synethesia, but then later mentions it's a form of 'ideasthesia', I don't really get the distinction.
01-08-2013, 12:51 AM
Association is a process someone undergoes using their will, like, they add some meaning, situation, adjectives or what have you. As for me, I have no control over the shapes and colors that occur when I hear sound or music, they appear regardless of my feelings, thoughts or anything else. I can however pick some sounds of which I like the colors (and occasionally associate something with it) and give them some meaning afterwards.

"Some part of our being knows this is where we came from. We long to return, and we can, because the cosmos is also within us. We're made of star stuff. We are a way for the cosmos to know itself." (Carl Sagan)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-08-2013, 08:08 PM (This post was last modified: 01-08-2013 08:17 PM by Raptor Jesus.)
Cool! I've always found this subject interesting. I found these two videos a few months ago. I found them very interesting. I would be curious how similar you guys feel to these descriptions. ...well really one description done twice: in two ways...

Edit: I realized after I posted this and rewatched one of them I was missing this first video, because the second video leaves off of the first one. It's all the same girl though.

01-08-2013, 08:20 PM
(25-07-2013 05:28 PM)Jeffasaurus Wrote:  Although the full blown synesthesia (tasting colors, seeing sounds, etc.) is rare, everyone possesses a very minor amount of sensory crossover. When I say minor, I mean minor. Really it's just enough to easily understand simple concepts like someone wearing a loud shirt; though it has nothing to do with sound, the description doesn't confuse people. A fuzzy memory or sharp cheese have no relation to tactile senses, but, again, are readily understood.

I might have a little bit of this in regards to music. I almost don't hear music. I feel it and see it as physical movement and I was this way from my earliest memories. As a kid my mother got tired of me knocking over lamps and stuff when I would hear music so she put me in dance classes when I was five.

"If things aren't funny anymore then they're exactly what they are and life is just one long dental appointment interrupted occasionally by something exciting like waiting or falling asleep" Jason Robards in A Thousand Clowns
01-08-2013, 08:27 PM
(01-08-2013 08:20 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(25-07-2013 05:28 PM)Jeffasaurus Wrote:  Although the full blown synesthesia (tasting colors, seeing sounds, etc.) is rare, everyone possesses a very minor amount of sensory crossover. When I say minor, I mean minor. Really it's just enough to easily understand simple concepts like someone wearing a loud shirt; though it has nothing to do with sound, the description doesn't confuse people. A fuzzy memory or sharp cheese have no relation to tactile senses, but, again, are readily understood.

I might have a little bit of this in regards to music. I almost don't hear music. I feel it and see it as physical movement and I was this way from my earliest memories. As a kid my mother got tired of me knocking over lamps and stuff when I would hear music so she put me in dance classes when I was five.

I didn't read everything everyone posted here, so I don't know if someone already said it. But there is synesthesia related to music too. I'm almost certain someone mentioned that, but just in case they didn't, it is true.

02-08-2013, 08:15 AM
(01-08-2013 08:27 PM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  I didn't read everything everyone posted here, so I don't know if someone already said it. But there is synesthesia related to music too. I'm almost certain someone mentioned that, but just in case they didn't, it is true.

Upon arriving on this thread, I learned that synesthesia is applicable to time-space as well. Yay!

Poonjab