Synthetic life.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-04-2013, 11:00 AM
RE: Synthetic life.
(01-04-2013 10:55 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Life has no goals. Individual organisms may, but life has no consciousness to it as a collective entity to set any goals. In the same way that the Earth has no goals, and the universe has no goals.

Life did not originate with any goal and the very first "life" had no goals. It was a chemical process going through more chemical processes and natural selection acted upon it.

I was going to post something like that but its like banging your head against a fossilized tree. HJ will not concede that the universe doesn't have a final destination in mind.

May I help the next in line please!

“I suppose our capacity for self-delusion is boundless."
― John Steinbeck, Travels with Charley: In Search of America
“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's." - Mark Twain in Eruption
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
01-04-2013, 12:12 PM
(01-04-2013 11:00 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(01-04-2013 10:55 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Life has no goals. Individual organisms may, but life has no consciousness to it as a collective entity to set any goals. In the same way that the Earth has no goals, and the universe has no goals.

Life did not originate with any goal and the very first "life" had no goals. It was a chemical process going through more chemical processes and natural selection acted upon it.

I was going to post something like that but its like banging your head against a fossilized tree. HJ will not concede that the universe doesn't have a final destination in mind.

Why should I concede to an assertion?

Vosur, Anjele, Hanoff.....have you learned nothing in my absence?
01-04-2013, 12:35 PM
(01-04-2013 12:12 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(01-04-2013 11:00 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  I was going to post something like that but its like banging your head against a fossilized tree. HJ will not concede that the universe doesn't have a final destination in mind.

Because it is an observation, not an assertion.

Evolve
01-04-2013, 12:50 PM
(01-04-2013 11:00 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  I was going to post something like that but its like banging your head against a fossilized tree. HJ will not concede that the universe doesn't have a final destination in mind.

I like that you don't concede HJ (notice no neg rep from me).
I don't understand why, in the face of all the scientific knowledge our species has gathered, but you are who you are. Maybe you'll de-convert someday and maybe you won't, in the meantime we'll continue to discuss.

The backfire effect predicts that if you present some people with evidence that contradicts their strongly held beliefs it will reinforce their existing opinions, rather than changing them.
- Brendan Nyhan and Jason Reifler

“I suppose our capacity for self-delusion is boundless."
― John Steinbeck, Travels with Charley: In Search of America
“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's." - Mark Twain in Eruption
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
01-04-2013, 04:32 PM

Because of the complete and utter lack of evidence for your position.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user