Poll: Should the international community intervene directly in Syria?
Yes.
No.
Unsure/undecided.
[Show Results]

Syria-What should be done?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-08-2013, 09:10 AM
Syria-What should be done?
So I like to keep my eyes on the news and today it has been reported that the syrian regime is allowing the UN in to check out the recent chemical attack.

The US has only recently replied basically saying its "too little, too late" and it sounds to me personally like they have already made their own mind up on whats happened and regardless of what the UN report says they may possibly take "action"

So Ive done a poll. Do you think that steps need to be taken in Syria by the international community and why??? What could possibly be done about this situation from outside intervention???

What would you do if you were in power?

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-08-2013, 09:52 AM
RE: Syria-What should be done?
(25-08-2013 09:10 AM)bemore Wrote:  So I like to keep my eyes on the news and today it has been reported that the syrian regime is allowing the UN in to check out the recent chemical attack.

The US has only recently replied basically saying its "too little, too late" and it sounds to me personally like they have already made their own mind up on whats happened and regardless of what the UN report says they may possibly take "action"

So Ive done a poll. Do you think that steps need to be taken in Syria by the international community and why??? What could possibly be done about this situation from outside intervention???

My cynical response would be isolation. Use force of arms to prevent anyone from intervening and let them solve their own problems. Frankly both sides are horrible so if they could just kill each other off that'd be great. I do feel for the people caught in the middle but there is not anything that could be done for them without turning this into WWIII and nobody wants that.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
25-08-2013, 11:02 AM
(25-08-2013 09:10 AM)bemore Wrote:  So I like to keep my eyes on the news and today it has been reported that the syrian regime is allowing the UN in to check out the recent chemical attack.

I'd not invade or attack directly militarily. So far, the chemical attacks have been just a few and killed similar orders of magnitudes of people as conventional weapons have, but this most recent attack reaching 1,000, if confirmed, could potentially be a new development that may change the need to respond. There is a moral hazard to allowing these weapons to be used since it will encourage others to do the same.

It's not an easy call what to do, but one thing we could do is to paint Russia as the entire reason we can't do anything. Make them the scape goat and the reason for all the dead bodies. We get a number of benefits in this strategy:
--first, it's the truth. Russians have coddled Assad.
--second, it places Russia in the position of garnering bad publicity
--third, it may give countries pause when they rush into the arms of our adversaries because they don't like our status of superpower. The alternatives aren't so great either.
--fourth, it puts the onus to do something on Russia where it belongs. Assad is their SOB, let them clean up the mess.
[+] 1 user Likes BryanS's post
25-08-2013, 11:31 AM
I don't think the world should do anything. There is no "up side" to getting involved. Let Syria take care of its own problems.
25-08-2013, 09:50 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/25/opinio...-wins.html

Quote:Given this depressing state of affairs, a decisive outcome for either side would be unacceptable for the United States. An Iranian-backed restoration of the Assad regime would increase Iran’s power and status across the entire Middle East, while a victory by the extremist-dominated rebels would inaugurate another wave of Al Qaeda terrorism.

There is only one outcome that the United States can possibly favor: an indefinite draw.

By tying down Mr. Assad’s army and its Iranian and Hezbollah allies in a war against Al Qaeda-aligned extremist fighters, four of Washington’s enemies will be engaged in war among themselves and prevented from attacking Americans or America’s allies.

This opinion piece may be harshly realpolitik, but a Syrian war that drags on for a really long time with no side winning may actually be the best outcome. We played things this way in the Iraq-Iran war, supporting Saddam just enough so that he didn't lose.
26-08-2013, 05:21 AM
Send UN troops in as aid troops. Hospitals, refugee camps etc...
You gotta remember that this is a whole country at war here, it doesn't just effect those physically involved in the fighting.
It effects the whole population including those caught up in this against their will, ie: women/children.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
26-08-2013, 05:37 AM
What should be done? I think it already was.

U.S. 'backed plan to launch chemical weapon attack on Syria and blame it on Assad's regime'
Leaked emails from defense contractor refers to chemical weapons saying 'the idea is approved by Washington'
Obama issued warning to Syrian president Bashar al-Assad last month that use of chemical warfare was 'totally unacceptable'

http://web.archive.org/web/2013012921382...Assad.html

http://edition.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/vi...k.cnn.html

UN is trying to investigate, but we know who holds the upper hand in UN.
http://rt.com/news/syria-green-light-che...ction-967/
[+] 1 user Likes Luminon's post
26-08-2013, 08:13 AM
It seems like the UN weapons inspectors are being hampered at the moment from checking out the area properly.

In the UK they might call parliament in early to discuss any action. Will be interesting to see what is said however I hold no hope of a majority saying no against action.

If the US fires cruise missiles from US warships at Syrian military targets would they be justified at firing back at them?

Dodgy ground.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
26-08-2013, 08:37 AM
http://www.theonion.com/articles/alien-w...fus,27620/

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Tartarus Sauce's post
26-08-2013, 05:54 PM
We should definitely go in and start killing people.

I wouldn't accept any thing less than troops on the ground.

The Paradox Of Fools And Wise Men:
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.” ― Bertrand Russell