Poll: Should the international community intervene directly in Syria?
Yes.
No.
Unsure/undecided.
[Show Results]

Syria-What should be done?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-08-2013, 09:31 PM
RE: Syria-What should be done?
(31-08-2013 09:26 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  I was being an ass with the moral implications Tongue
But if those don't play a role, and we are simply looking to eliminate a problem, then a few well placed nuclear strikes should take care of it! That's an extreme, obviously, but nothing we do will stop "innocents" from being killed! As long as someone I care about isn't one of them I can't say I truly care, but there are always people who say attack, then berate the attackers for not doing it "cleanly".
So if you say attack, be prepared to hear about civilian deaths!

The problem from where I stand is that this whole situation is being pitched at us from a "moral" standpoint. Like the US has ever actually given a shit about morality when it comes to fucking up other countries.

And now we find ourselves in the frying pan.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-08-2013, 09:41 PM
(31-08-2013 09:31 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(31-08-2013 09:26 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  I was being an ass with the moral implications Tongue
But if those don't play a role, and we are simply looking to eliminate a problem, then a few well placed nuclear strikes should take care of it! That's an extreme, obviously, but nothing we do will stop "innocents" from being killed! As long as someone I care about isn't one of them I can't say I truly care, but there are always people who say attack, then berate the attackers for not doing it "cleanly".
So if you say attack, be prepared to hear about civilian deaths!

The problem from where I stand is that this whole situation is being pitched at us from a "moral" standpoint. Like the US has ever actually given a shit about morality when it comes to fucking up other countries.

The question remains. What would you do about it if you were in power?
I'm glad I'm not in power!

31-08-2013, 09:44 PM
(31-08-2013 09:41 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  The question remains. What would you do about it if you were in power?
I'm glad I'm not in power!

Yes, the question remains.....

I ain't got a fucking clue, dude. No

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
31-08-2013, 11:19 PM
What if the problem isn't "what should we do"? What if the problem is what we already are doing, funding and arming terrorists in Syria.

What if we should do less and not more?
31-08-2013, 11:26 PM
(31-08-2013 11:19 PM)I and I Wrote:  What if the problem isn't "what should we do"? What if the problem is what we already are doing, funding and arming terrorists in Syria.

What if we should do less and not more?

The obvious answer to the "should" question is obvious. The real question now is what happens if we do either?

~ Umberto Eco
01-09-2013, 08:43 AM
This seems like a good summary.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/the-cas...ria,33690/

... this is my signature!
[+] 3 users Like cjlr's post
01-09-2013, 08:59 AM
(31-08-2013 09:31 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  The problem from where I stand is that this whole situation is being pitched at us from a "moral" standpoint. Like the US has ever actually given a shit about morality when it comes to fucking up other countries.

Yeah...I mean you don't hear about the 900,000 people in Vietnam who the United States killed and crippled with chemical weapons, do you?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agent_Orange

When the Arabs use Chemical Weapons - it's called a War Crime. When the USA uses Chemical Weapons - it's called "Freedom Fighting".
01-09-2013, 09:17 AM
(01-09-2013 08:59 AM)Julius Wrote:  
(31-08-2013 09:31 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  The problem from where I stand is that this whole situation is being pitched at us from a "moral" standpoint. Like the US has ever actually given a shit about morality when it comes to fucking up other countries.

Yeah...I mean you don't hear about the 900,000 people in Vietnam who the United States killed and crippled with chemical weapons, do you?

When the Arabs use Chemical Weapons - it's called a War Crime. When the USA uses Chemical Weapons - it's called "Freedom Fighting".

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
01-09-2013, 09:51 AM
I look at it like this.
The United States has no moral authority to do anything in the region or to Assad. We are the only country to use Atomic weapons. We gave weapons and money to both Iran and Iraq. We have used weapons of mass destruction. We have authorized our president and any president after him to kill any American citizen suspected of terrorism. We fight aggressive preemptive wars.
Here is an interesting look at some interventions by America.

http://academic.evergreen.edu/g/grossmaz...tions.html

I think it is time to push for a Pax Americana and we need to turn our swords into plowshares.

For moral reasons I'm an atheist. I'm of the opinion that you would recognize a creator by his creation, & the world appears to me to be put together in such a painful way that I prefer to believe that it was not created by anyone than to think that somebody created this intentionally. - Stanislaw Lem
01-09-2013, 10:46 AM
(01-09-2013 08:59 AM)Julius Wrote:  Yeah...I mean you don't hear about the 900,000 people in Vietnam who the United States killed and crippled with chemical weapons, do you?

Those data are incredibly unreliable. That's the figure given by the Vietnamese government; I hardly think they're the ones to be impartial...

Agent Orange (and the other rainbow concoctions) weren't chemical weapons. That is to say, they weren't chemicals whose purpose was to kill or injure. We (Canada) used it frequently for civilian purposes (as did the Americans!). Until the early '70s nobody knew it was toxic; once it was shown to be so the military stopped using it. Domestic civilian use continued for years afterwards, mind...

Something which turned out to be toxic isn't the same as something designed to be toxic.

... this is my signature!