Syrian Government Atrocities: 13,000 secretly hanged

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-02-2017, 09:15 AM
RE: Syrian Government Atrocities: 13,000 secretly hanged
(10-02-2017 07:23 AM)ImFred Wrote:  
(07-02-2017 09:40 AM)yakherder Wrote:  You'd be surprised what desperate minds can do if you haven't witnessed it before. And even those who are genuinely disgusted by it can, in the right context, quickly be compelled to do the same things themselves. At this point I don't even bat an eye at it anymore. Just people doing what people have historically always been prone to doing outside of a few fortunate (usually temporary) first world bubbles.

It's a hard pill to swallow but true. If you're human and you want to see a monster, look in the mirror.

So all humans are "monsters"? Somehow I doubt the validity of such gross generalization.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-02-2017, 11:45 AM
I think it's more accurate to say most humans have the capacity to quickly become what we'd define as monsters if circumstances are in alignment.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
10-02-2017, 01:11 PM
(10-02-2017 11:45 AM)yakherder Wrote:  I think it's more accurate to say most humans have the capacity to quickly become what we'd define as monsters if circumstances are in alignment.

That's another way to put it.

Let me give an example for people.

Do you understand the basic science behind global warming? Do you understand the horrible consequences that an additional six degrees will have? Do you drive?

All three for me. I know the consequences of my actions. I do it anyway.
11-02-2017, 01:40 AM
(10-02-2017 11:45 AM)yakherder Wrote:  I think it's more accurate to say most humans have the capacity to quickly become what we'd define as monsters if circumstances are in alignment.

History shows enough examples of such thing happening so I can't disagree here.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.