TA List Debunked

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-07-2014, 04:08 AM
RE: TA List Debunked
I dunno bout you guys but OP makes me super hard reading his posts.

“You see… sometimes life gives you lemons. And when that happens… you need to find some spell that makes lemons explode, because lemons are terrible. I only ate them once and I can say with certainty they are the worst fruit. If life gave me lemons, I would view it as nothing short of a declaration of war."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-07-2014, 08:46 AM (This post was last modified: 12-07-2014 02:00 PM by goodwithoutgod.)
(11-07-2014 11:31 AM)Jzyehoshua Wrote:  
(11-07-2014 07:46 AM)CiderThinker Wrote:  At the time it was also common knowledge that the earth was flat and the sun revolved around it...Your point?

Common knowledge is not automatically true.

So to sum up, first someone claimed that there was no evidence of a darkness during Jesus' crucifixion. I provided evidence that two first century A.D. extra-Biblical sources, Thallus and Phlegon, did mention that darkness. Then it was claimed that Phlegon doesn't count because he was born a few decades after the event occurred.

Essentially you're saying that because Phlegon got his information about the darkness from someone he knew who lived during the time or another source of his day that he can't be considered a reliable source. However, using that logic is like saying that reporters can't interview other sources or use documents as sources, if they didn't witness it themselves their testimony is invalid. That sort of standard is absurd.

So ultimately multiple apostles as well as Thallus and Phlegon mention the darkness of Jesus' day. You don't want to accept the Gospel witness. You don't want to accept Phlegon as a source because he was born slightly after it happened and must have learned about it from someone else or a written source. And I haven't seen Thallus addressed at all.

Here, as I sit and sip my coffee, allow me to explain a few things you may not know about your sacred fictional book.

Terms you need to become familiar with;

Faith - the belief in something without evidence.

Delusion: an idiosyncratic belief or impression that is firmly maintained despite being contradicted by what is generally accepted as reality or rational argument, typically a symptom of mental disorder. A belief held with strong conviction despite superior evidence to the contrary.

Religion - The embracement of delusion.

Pseudepigrapha (also Anglicized as "pseudepigraph" or "pseudepigraphs") are falsely attributed works, texts whose claimed author is represented by a separate author, or a work "whose real author attributed it to a figure of the past."

Let’s look at how this happens, lets pick one and take a closer look at it, how about Daniel?

Background: (I used wiki because it is an easily understood format, you can scroll down to the bottom of wiki and click one of the many source hyperlinks and validate the info, but I used it here as a foundation to help the readers.)

Traditionally ascribed to Daniel himself, modern scholarly consensus considers the book pseudonymous, the stories of the first half legendary in origin, and the visions of the second the product of anonymous authors in the Maccabean period (2nd century BCE). Its exclusion from the Prophets (Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel, and the Twelve) was probably because it appeared after the canon for those books had closed, and the dominant view among scholars is that Daniel is not in any case a prophetic book but an apocalypse.

Daniel is one of a large number of Jewish apocalypses, all of them pseudonymous. Although the entire book is traditionally ascribed to Daniel the seer, chapters 1–6 are in the voice of an anonymous narrator, except for chapter 4 which is in the form of a letter from king Nebuchadnezzar; only the second half (chapters 7–12) is presented by Daniel himself, introduced by the anonymous narrator in chapters 7 and 10. The real author/editor of Daniel was probably an educated Jew, knowledgeable in Greek learning, and of high standing in his own community. It is possible that the name of Daniel was chosen for the hero of the book because of his reputation as a wise seer in Hebrew tradition.

Daniel's exclusion from the Hebrew bible's canon of the prophets, which was closed around 200 BCE, suggests it was not known at that time, and the Wisdom of Sirach, from around 180 BCE, draws on almost every book of the Old Testament except Daniel, leading scholars to suppose that its author was unaware of it. Daniel is, however, quoted by the author of a section of the Sibylline Oracles commonly dated to the middle of the 2nd century BCE, and was popular at Qumran beginning at much the same time, suggesting that it was known and revered from the middle of that century.

The actual historical setting of the book is clear from chapter 11, where the prophecy is accurate down to the career of Antiochus IV Epiphanes, king of Syria and oppressor of the Jews, but not in its prediction of his death: the author knows about Antiochus' two campaigns in Egypt (169 and 167 BCE), the desecration of the Temple (the "abomination of desolation"), and the fortification of the Akra (a fortress built inside Jerusalem), but he knows nothing about the reconstruction of the Temple or the actual circumstances of the death of Antiochus in late 164. Chapters 10–12 must therefore have been written between 167 and 164 BCE. There is no evidence of a significant time lapse between those chapters and chapters 8 and 9, and chapter 7 may have been written just a few months earlier again. (Wiki)

Now the good stuff:

Today the consensus of scholars understands the whole book of Daniel to be put together by an author editor who first collected traditional stories in chapters 1-6 about the boy hero Daniel showing his courage during the persecutions of exile, and added to them the visions of chapters 7 – 12 that predicted the coming end of Antiochus Epiphanes and his persecution. This kind of writing is called a Vaticinium ex eventu, a “prediction after the fact,” in which an author creates a character of long ago and puts into his mouth as predictions all the important events that have already happened right to the author’s own time and place. The language is often coded with symbolic animals and colors and dates to protect its message from the persecuting authorities. Its focus is not on predicting the future, but getting some meaning to present happenings by explaining the past events that led up to this terrible situation (Boadt 1984, p509).

To achieve such an important purpose, the authors mixed historical facts with older religious traditions and even pagan myths (Boadt 1984, p509).

It is important to note that the entire book claims to take place in the sixth century BC and to report a series of visions that come to the boy Daniel, who is remarkable for his great wisdom and his ability to receive divine revelation about the future. Very few scholars today, however, believe that this book originated in any way during the days of the Babylonian exile. And the ones who do usually have a very difficult time explaining the references to historical people and places which seem to be grossly wrong.

Darius the Mede is called the son of Xerxes in 5:31 and 9:11, both are wrong:

Darius was not a Mede but a Persian and the father of Xerxes. Belshazzar is called the king of Babylon in chapter 7 and the son of Nebuchadnezzar in chapter 5. He was neither: he was only crown prince under his father Nabonidus.

In chapter 6 Cyrus succeeds Darius as King of the Persians. This too has history backward, since Cyrus was the founder of the Persian dynasty. The author seems to be quite confused about his facts and either lived long afterward or else intended the giant bloopers to warn the audience that what follows is not intended as history but a story of faith; similar to the approach of the book of Judith (Boadt 1984, p508).

Although the book of Daniel was supposed to have been written during the Babylonian exile by an official of King Nebuchadnezzar, modern scholars date its writings to the second century BCE. The reasons for this include:

• It is listed in the writings of the Jewish canon, rather than the Prophets. This indicates that Daniel was written after the collection of prophetic books had been closed (sometime after 300 B.C.E.)
• Parts of the book (2.4 – 7.28) were written in Aramaic, which suggest a later date when Aramaic had become the common language.
• The author of Daniel used Persian and Greek words that would not have been known to residents Babylon in the sixth century BCE.
• The book contains numerous historical inaccuracies when dealing with sixth century B.C.E. Babylonian history. Such mistakes would not have been made by an important official of King Nebuchadnezzar.
• Daniel is the only book in the Old Testament in which angels are given names (such as Gabriel in 8.16 and 9.21 and Michael and 10.13, 10.21, and 12.1). Elsewhere in the Bible, names for angels only appear in the Apocrypha and the New Testament.
• The absence of Daniel’s name in the list of Israel’s great men in Ecclesiasticus.
• Nebuchadrezzar is spelled Nebuchadnezzar in Daniel, which is the way the king’s name was spelled, under Greek influence, at a later time.
• In 2.2 the Kings wise men are called “Chaldeans.” But at the time of Nebuchadrezzar, “Chaldean” would have referred to the nationality. It was only centuries later that this word came to mean sorcerer or astrologer. (Wells 2013, p 1109)

Now do you see how these magical books were put together not by whom you think, not when you think and how they are allegorical writings based on parables, meant to drive a message and purposely designed in a hubris attempt to give them credibility.

Read, think, evolve. Smartass

Works cited:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_of_Daniel

Boadt, L. (1984) Reading the Old Testament: An Introduction. New York. Paulist Press.

Wells, S. (2013) The skeptics annotated Bible. New York. SAB Books, LLC

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 4 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
12-07-2014, 08:57 AM
Your point about the spelling of Nebuchadrezzar's name is unclear. Please reword and clarify. Thanks.
Doc
12-07-2014, 10:29 AM (This post was last modified: 12-07-2014 10:44 AM by goodwithoutgod.)
(12-07-2014 08:57 AM)docskeptic Wrote:  Your point about the spelling of Nebuchadrezzar's name is unclear. Please reword and clarify. Thanks.
Doc

Thanks, I went back through the whole document and fixed all of the software skewed words that I found, and also fixed what I think you are referring to. I use speech recognition software and it always mishears In and AND, and various other words, or maybe I need to learn how to enunciate. Did I miss anything else? That was word for word from the skeptic's annotated bible under the chapter of Daniel overview page 1109.

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
12-07-2014, 01:21 PM
(12-07-2014 08:46 AM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  
(11-07-2014 11:31 AM)Jzyehoshua Wrote:  So to sum up, first someone claimed that there was no evidence of a darkness during Jesus' crucifixion. I provided evidence that two first century A.D. extra-Biblical sources, Thallus and Phlegon, did mention that darkness. Then it was claimed that Phlegon doesn't count because he was born a few decades after the event occurred.

Essentially you're saying that because Phlegon got his information about the darkness from someone he knew who lived during the time or another source of his day that he can't be considered a reliable source. However, using that logic is like saying that reporters can't interview other sources or use documents as sources, if they didn't witness it themselves their testimony is invalid. That sort of standard is absurd.

So ultimately multiple apostles as well as Thallus and Phlegon mention the darkness of Jesus' day. You don't want to accept the Gospel witness. You don't want to accept Phlegon as a source because he was born slightly after it happened and must have learned about it from someone else or a written source. And I haven't seen Thallus addressed at all.

Here, as I sit and sip my coffee, allow me to explain a few things you may not know about your sacred fictional book.

Delusion: an idiosyncratic belief or impression that is firmly maintained despite being contradicted by what is generally accepted as reality or rational argument, typically a symptom of mental disorder. A belief held with strong conviction despite superior evidence to the contrary.

Pseudepigrapha (also Anglicized as "pseudepigraph" or "pseudepigraphs") are falsely attributed works, texts whose claimed author is represented by a separate author, or a work "whose real author attributed it to a figure of the past."

Let’s look at how this happens, lets pick one and take a closer look at it, how about Daniel?

Background: (I used wiki because it is an easily understood format, you can scroll down to the bottom of wiki and click one of the many source hyperlinks and validate the info, but I used it here as a foundation to help the readers.)

Traditionally ascribed to Daniel himself, modern scholarly consensus considers the book pseudonymous, the stories of the first half legendary in origin, and the visions of the second the product of anonymous authors in the Maccabean period (2nd century BCE). Its exclusion from the Prophets (Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel, and the Twelve) was probably because it appeared after the canon for those books had closed, and the dominant view among scholars is that Daniel is not in any case a prophetic book but an apocalypse.

Daniel is one of a large number of Jewish apocalypses, all of them pseudonymous. Although the entire book is traditionally ascribed to Daniel the seer, chapters 1–6 are in the voice of an anonymous narrator, except for chapter 4 which is in the form of a letter from king Nebuchadnezzar; only the second half (chapters 7–12) is presented by Daniel himself, introduced by the anonymous narrator in chapters 7 and 10. The real author/editor of Daniel was probably an educated Jew, knowledgeable in Greek learning, and of high standing in his own community. It is possible that the name of Daniel was chosen for the hero of the book because of his reputation as a wise seer in Hebrew tradition.

Daniel's exclusion from the Hebrew bible's canon of the prophets, which was closed around 200 BCE, suggests it was not known at that time, and the Wisdom of Sirach, from around 180 BCE, draws on almost every book of the Old Testament except Daniel, leading scholars to suppose that its author was unaware of it. Daniel is, however, quoted by the author of a section of the Sibylline Oracles commonly dated to the middle of the 2nd century BCE, and was popular at Qumran beginning at much the same time, suggesting that it was known and revered from the middle of that century.

The actual historical setting of the book is clear from chapter 11, where the prophecy is accurate down to the career of Antiochus IV Epiphanes, king of Syria and oppressor of the Jews, but not in its prediction of his death: the author knows about Antiochus' two campaigns in Egypt (169 and 167 BCE), the desecration of the Temple (the "abomination of desolation"), and the fortification of the Akra (a fortress built inside Jerusalem), but he knows nothing about the reconstruction of the Temple or the actual circumstances of the death of Antiochus in late 164. Chapters 10–12 must therefore have been written between 167 and 164 BCE. There is no evidence of a significant time lapse between those chapters and chapters 8 and 9, and chapter 7 may have been written just a few months earlier again. (Wiki)

Now the good stuff:

Today the consensus of scholars understands the whole book of Daniel to be put together by an author editor who first collected traditional stories in chapters 1-6 about the boy hero Daniel showing his courage during the persecutions of exile, and added to them the visions of chapters 7 – 12 that predicted the coming end of Antiochus Epiphanes and his persecution. This kind of writing is called a Vaticinium ex eventu, a “prediction after the fact,” in which an author creates a character of long ago and puts into his mouth as predictions all the important events that have already happened right to the author’s own time and place. The language is often coded with symbolic animals and colors and dates to protect its message from the persecuting authorities. Its focus is not on predicting the future, but getting some meaning to present happenings by explaining the past events that led up to this terrible situation (Boadt 1984, p509).

To achieve such an important purpose, the authors mixed historical facts with older religious traditions and even pagan myths (Boadt 1984, p509).

Is important to note that the entire book claims take place in the sixth century BC and to report a series of visions that come to the point Daniel, who is remarkable for his great wisdom in his ability to receive divine revelation about the future. Very few scholars today, however, believe that this book originated in any way during the days of the Babylonian exile. And the ones who do you see have a very difficult time explaining the references to historical people and places which seem to be grossly wrong.

Darius was not a Mede but a Persian and the father of Xerxes. Belshazzar is called the king of Babylon in chapter 7 and the son of Nebuchadnezzar in chapter 5. He was neither: he was only crown prince under his father Nabonidus.

In chapter 6 Cyrus succeeds Darius as King of the Persians. This too has history backward, since Cyrus was the founder of the Persian dynasty. The author seems to be quite confused about his facts and either lived long afterward or else intended the giant bloopers to warn the audience that what follows is not intended as history but a story of faith; similar to the approach of the book of Judith (Boadt 1984, p508).

Although the book of Daniel was supposed to have been written during the Babylonian exile by an official of King Nebuchadnezzar, modern scholars date its writings to the second century BCE. The reasons for this include:

• It is listed in the writings of the Jewish canon, rather than the Prophets. This indicates that Daniel was written after the collection of prophetic books had been closed (sometime after 300 B.C.E.)
• Parts of the book (2.4 – 7.28) were written in Aramaic, which suggest a later date when Aramaic had become the common language.
• The author of Daniel used Persian and Greek words that would not have been known to residents Babylon in the sixth century BCE.
• The book contains numerous historical inaccuracies when dealing with sixth century B.C.E. Babylonian history. Such mistakes would not have been made by an important official of King Nebuchadnezzar.
• Daniel is the only book in the Old Testament in which angels are given names (such as Gabriel in 8.16 and 9.21 and Michael and 10.13, 10.21, and 12.1). Elsewhere in the Bible, names for angels only appear in the Apocrypha and the New Testament.
• The absence of Daniel’s name in the list of Israel’s great men in Ecclesiasticus.
• Nebuchadrezzar is spelled Nebuchadnezzar in Daniel, which is the way the king’s name was spelled, under Greek influence, at a later time.
• In 2.2 the Kings wise men are called “Chaldeans.” But at the time of Nebuchadrezzar, “Chaldean” would have referred to the nationality. It was only centuries later that this word came to mean sorcerer or astrologer. (Wells 2013, p 1109)

Now do you see how these magical books were put together not by whom you think, not when you think and how they are allegorical writings based on parables, meant to drive a message and purposely designed in a hubris attempt to give them credibility.

Works cited:

Boadt, L. (1984) Reading the Old Testament: An Introduction. New York. Paulist Press.

Damn, Goodwithout, your are on a roll today! Clap BowingYes

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
12-07-2014, 01:52 PM
(12-07-2014 01:21 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(12-07-2014 08:46 AM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  Here, as I sit and sip my coffee, allow me to explain a few things you may not know about your sacred fictional book.

Now the good stuff:

Is important to note that the entire book claims take place in the sixth century BC and to report a series of visions that come to the point Daniel, who is remarkable for his great wisdom in his ability to receive divine revelation about the future. Very few scholars today, however, believe that this book originated in any way during the days of the Babylonian exile. And the ones who do you see have a very difficult time explaining the references to historical people and places which seem to be grossly wrong.

Works cited:

Damn, Goodwithout, your are on a roll today! Clap BowingYes

thank you thank you, I give the credit to good coffee Drinking Beverage Blush

28-06-2016, 10:20 AM
(12-07-2014 08:46 AM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  Here, as I sit and sip my coffee, allow me to explain a few things you may not know about your sacred fictional book.

Now the good stuff:

It is important to note that the entire book claims to take place in the sixth century BC and to report a series of visions that come to the boy Daniel, who is remarkable for his great wisdom and his ability to receive divine revelation about the future. Very few scholars today, however, believe that this book originated in any way during the days of the Babylonian exile. And the ones who do usually have a very difficult time explaining the references to historical people and places which seem to be grossly wrong.

Works cited:

1. Faith does not require a lack of evidence or Jesus wouldn't have encouraged Thomas to physically touch and see the evidence of His resurrection so Thomas would "be not faithless but believing." (John 20:27) Faith can be without evidence but humans generally have a reason, i.e. some kind of evidence, for what they believe. Evidence is not always physical, e.g. logical evidence.

2. We agree on the definition of delusion which applies quite well to atheism. Life is far too diverse and complex to deny a Creator. Examples include Macropina Microstoma, a fish with a transparent head and 360 degree rotating eyeballs, the Lygodium Spider Moth, a moth with a picture of a spider on its wings (one of many cases of Batesian Mimicry that could be provided), and of course the Bombardier Beetle with its complex firing mechanism which combines two otherwise useless chemicals into a deadly fiery concoction.

3. What differentiates the evangelical atheist intent on spreading their beliefs and enforcing them via government regulation from a religious person? A religion is just a belief system, and atheism is a religion. This forum serves as a congregation.

4. Daniel wasn't excluded from the Hebrew canon which is why it was preserved among the Dead Sea Scrolls. Furthermore the prophecy of Daniel 9:24-27 perfectly predicted the coming of Jesus as the Messiah in 30 A.D. so even if you were to argue for a composition date of 200 B.C. (which by the way makes little sense, there are manuscripts that old, which were copied from still older ones, plus numerous archaeological artifacts have verified its details, e.g. the Nabonidus and Cyrus Cylinders) that still wouldn't nullify the prophetic accuracy of the book of Daniel, because the prophecy would have still come 200 years before it's fulfillment.

My website refuting alleged contradictions will be at BereaWiki.com.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-06-2016, 10:23 AM
(28-06-2016 10:20 AM)Jzyehoshua Wrote:  

Now the good stuff:

Works cited:

1. Faith does not require a lack of evidence or Jesus wouldn't have encouraged Thomas to physically touch and see the evidence of His resurrection so Thomas would "be not faithless but believing." (John 20:27) Faith can be without evidence but humans generally have a reason, i.e. some kind of evidence, for what they believe. Evidence is not always physical, e.g. logical evidence.

2. We agree on the definition of delusion which applies quite well to atheism. Life is far too diverse and complex to deny a Creator. Examples include Macropina Microstoma, a fish with a transparent head and 360 degree rotating eyeballs, the Lygodium Spider Moth, a moth with a picture of a spider on its wings (one of many cases of Batesian Mimicry that could be provided), and of course the Bombardier Beetle with its complex firing mechanism which combines two otherwise useless chemicals into a deadly fiery concoction.

3. What differentiates the evangelical atheist intent on spreading their beliefs and enforcing them via government regulation from a religious person? A religion is just a belief system, and atheism is a religion. This forum serves as a congregation.

4. Daniel wasn't excluded from the Hebrew canon which is why it was preserved among the Dead Sea Scrolls. Furthermore the prophecy of Daniel 9:24-27 perfectly predicted the coming of Jesus as the Messiah in 30 A.D. so even if you were to argue for a composition date of 200 B.C. (which by the way makes little sense, there are manuscripts that old, which were copied from still older ones, plus numerous archaeological artifacts have verified its details, e.g. the Nabonidus and Cyrus Cylinders) that still wouldn't nullify the prophetic accuracy of the book of Daniel, because the prophecy would have still come 200 years before it's fulfillment.

You haven't been here in three years???? I thought the resurrection thing was in three days...or maybe days means something different Biblically speaking.

WTAF Facepalm

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
28-06-2016, 10:28 AM
Hello Jzyehoshua ! Big Grin

I'm sure GoodWithOutGod will be along to explain the problems with your point 1 and possibly point 4. It would be nice if Mathilda returned and pointed out your problems with point 2.

My comment on point 3 is that, if you make an assertion about something might you add some more information? Please expand on "Atheism is a belief' ? Consider

I'm having a hard time working out how not believing in something (A quick explanation) is akin too believing in something?

As a side note... if there is some creator then are you thence saying they are also to blame for all those other nasty things running around? Consider

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEKDYIYMgBc

Much cheers to you. Smile
28-06-2016, 10:35 AM
(28-06-2016 10:20 AM)Jzyehoshua Wrote:  

Now the good stuff:

Works cited:

Great, another ID'er that thinks complexity=gawd. Laughat

WTF is this though? You finally respond to a post two years after it's made?

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 2 users Like TheInquisition's post