TALOS - Building a real life 'Iron Man' suit

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-11-2013, 10:37 AM
TALOS - Building a real life 'Iron Man' suit
As a child, I did numerous drawings based on this idea - not on Iron Man. I never read Iron Man comics. But the concept would be the same. A lightweight, armored, powered exoskeleton which offered protection against all kinds of small arms and threats as well as superhuman strength and feats. My ideas looked uncannily like Imperial stormtrooper armor, but all the core concepts were there.

Well, the idea may become a reality within the next 20 years. The Tactical Assault Light Operator's Suit (TALOS) powered exoskeleton program is under development by the Pentagon and DARPA. Some really awesome features include a novel liquid armor which becomes solid on impact by a projectile.

http://security.blogs.cnn.com/2013/11/05...?hpt=hp_c3

http://soldiersystems.net/2013/11/01/scr...look-here/

[Image: Helmets.jpg]

[Image: Pointman-and-Shrike.jpg]

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post
06-11-2013, 06:02 AM
RE: TALOS - Building a real life 'Iron Man' suit
Awesome

The Starship troopers power armor is the best nearScience fiction armour i've seen.

NSFW

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
06-11-2013, 07:59 AM
""The suit, according to the Verge, RT, and International Business Times, will feature such boner-inducing gizmos as night vision, super strength, nanotechnology, liquid armor, and probably even Gwyneth Paltrow.
Not really, because no one is actually building this. The original NPR article this all spawned from opens with the fact that the U.S. Special Operations Command is simply looking into whether this could be made as part of a current campaign for proposals regarding the future development of armored suits -- the keywords being "looking into."

In other words, this was less "Look at this cool thing we have" and more "Wouldn't it be cool if we had this thing?""
http://www.cracked.com/quick-fixes/4-rec...otal-b.s./

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
06-11-2013, 08:05 AM
(06-11-2013 07:59 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  ""The suit, according to the Verge, RT, and International Business Times, will feature such boner-inducing gizmos as night vision, super strength, nanotechnology, liquid armor, and probably even Gwyneth Paltrow.
Not really, because no one is actually building this. The original NPR article this all spawned from opens with the fact that the U.S. Special Operations Command is simply looking into whether this could be made as part of a current campaign for proposals regarding the future development of armored suits -- the keywords being "looking into."

In other words, this was less "Look at this cool thing we have" and more "Wouldn't it be cool if we had this thing?""
http://www.cracked.com/quick-fixes/4-rec...otal-b.s./

The technology has been investigated by DARPA and the US Army over the past decade. Is it on the immediate horizon? No. But look forward to it around the 2030s.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

06-11-2013, 08:11 AM
I see those pictures and my brain tricks me into thinking it's just art for some video game. Dodgy

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 1 user Likes cheapthrillseaker's post
06-11-2013, 08:26 AM
(06-11-2013 08:11 AM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  I see those pictures and my brain tricks me into thinking it's just art for some video game. Dodgy

Military would be mad not to take/mix ideas from video games

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
06-11-2013, 10:51 AM
(06-11-2013 08:11 AM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  I see those pictures and my brain tricks me into thinking it's just art for some video game. Dodgy

That's what I thought as well. It does look like some futuristic release of Call of Duty, etc.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

06-11-2013, 10:54 AM
I blame it on the fonts. Dodgy

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
06-11-2013, 11:35 AM
(06-11-2013 10:51 AM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  

That's what I thought as well. It does look like some futuristic release of Call of Duty, etc.

Hey, concept art is concept art...
Big Grin

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post