TED Talk Hidden meaning

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-04-2014, 11:58 AM
TED Talk Hidden meaning
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nx8RRIiP53Q

Im just curious what your thoughts are on the TED talk.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-04-2014, 12:20 PM
RE: TED Talk Hidden meaning
I agree with the points he made.

that statistic....not the first time i've heard it....its way to high. No

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
16-04-2014, 12:25 PM
He is like a watered down version of Anita Sarkeesian

Allot of waffling on about how men are bad, any form of masculinity is bad, and only woman do good.

He does raise a few interesting points but also put forth the idea that only men are doing bad things. To me it came across as a diatribe against anything not fitting into the social clique de jour.

Yes there is allot of violence in movies but there is a lot of violence in real life, whether you partake of the modern entertainment or not. Boiling down Star Wars Episode III - VI to: Leia sits and mopes while Luke plays hero, so she can reward him with a medal, smacks of confirmation bias, and is a misrepresentation and oversimplification.

It ignores the fact that She was a Senator, a leader of her people who got their through hard work, not because she was handed the opportunity on a plate. Ignores the fact that the entire series was about more than just fighting with sticks, but about not bowing down to tyranny, standing up for what is right, and doing what is right knowing that the consequences may be dire for you, but will bring a brighter future for those that come afterwards.

Tl;DR

His good points: Teach your children to not default to violence. Teach them that knowledge, and sharing it is a good thing.

Bad points: Only men do bad things. Its bad to be masculine. Only woman are capable of good.

The requirement of evidence to back your claim does not disappear because it hurts your feelings, reality does not care about your feefees.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-04-2014, 12:34 PM
I think in the movies we combated the 'women should be barefoot and pregnant', Cleaver/Brady housewife, Disney Princess with stories of girls being strong and leaders.

But the story for boys hasn't really changed.....kick ass, win the girl, receive the prize. Its still braun that wins.

[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
16-04-2014, 12:47 PM (This post was last modified: 16-04-2014 12:50 PM by Blackhand293.)
(16-04-2014 12:34 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  I think in the movies we combated the 'women should be barefoot and pregnant', Cleaver/Brady housewife, Disney Princess with stories of girls being strong and leaders.

But the story for boys hasn't really changed.....kick ass, win the girl, receive the prize. Its still braun that wins.
^
This I agree with completely.

What I don't agree with is the vilification of anything masculine just because some men have done bad things. Men and Woman have physiological differences and when men are put down for those I differences, for no other reason than they are men I get a little worked up.

We should teach boys about more than just kick ass, but not by relegating all men to villain status, pointing and then saying look don't be like that.

*edit*

My favorite show when I was a kid was Rescue Rangers, it dealt more with using your smarts to get something done than being a macho man. That kind of thing is what we need more of.

The requirement of evidence to back your claim does not disappear because it hurts your feelings, reality does not care about your feefees.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-04-2014, 12:57 PM
(16-04-2014 12:34 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  I think in the movies we combated the 'women should be barefoot and pregnant', Cleaver/Brady housewife, Disney Princess with stories of girls being strong and leaders.

Yeah. Thats what I got from the video as well.

The women characters in (childrens) movies are slowly becoming strong, as well as leaders who have other ways (other than just violence) to solve problems and are fighting real issues.

I think he's saying he wants his kids to follow THAT role model instead of the "Blow shit up, get a prize/woman" model that still seems to be a major plot device for male characters in most movies.
[+] 2 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
16-04-2014, 05:29 PM
These things don't happen in a vacuum, I don't think it's a coincidence that the portrayal of women is evolving and men are still the same old violent heroes ,out to get lucky.
Feminism and feminist discourse has been around for over a century, so it's already ingrained in our culture, and it's reflected in cultural works, like in Frozen (talking about Disney making change).

But men, as objects of gender studies, is relatively new. It has been only seen as the villains by feminism, but there are few studies that look at men to understand them. So we don't see masculinity in a good light, we only see it through its worst manifestations (violence, aggression, emotional repression).

I am starting to see a kind of "awakening" on men lately, mostly as a reaction against feminism, in the terms of "we too are humans!". I think that's kind of naive, the better way would be to analyse and portray men AND women as the good guys, on equal standing, with differences that not only refer to their genitalia. And treat feminism as a perspective, useful to paint one part of reality among others (masculinist, trans, LGBT, etc).

But it will take time, we're freakishly slow Facepalm

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
16-04-2014, 09:36 PM
Rainbow RE: TED Talk Hidden meaning
If you tell someone to create a narrative, they're going to put their beliefs and opinions into it. That includes biases and prejudices and ignorance. Whether consciously, or subconsciously.

"I wrote this because I can't imagine it any other way." or "I wrote this because this is what I believe." or "I wrote this because it's what the audience wants." or "I wrote this because it's just how it's always been written."

Conciousness raising will help with this. Make people become more aware of what they believe, and when they put it into practice. Encourage people to change their thinking, or just to be aware of what they're doing.

Because they might be projecting a very real harm, and contributing to a cycle that should have ended a long time ago.

This is true for a variety of other issues, not just sex/gender roles.
[+] 1 user Likes PoolBoyG's post
17-04-2014, 05:55 AM
This came across my Facebook feed this morning, and hit on this topic

30 photos - toy companies challenge stereotypes