TGT (Top Gear Two aka The Grand Tour)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-10-2016, 02:45 AM
TGT (Top Gear Two aka The Grand Tour)
18th November.
Fuck yes. After the new Top Gear was so god damn awful I can't wait for this shit.
I don't think the BBC understood that Jeremy, Hammond and James made Top Gear what it was. They're the reason it was so popular. You can't replace the natural chemistry those three have with some B listed actors and a shitty script.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like earmuffs's post
18-11-2016, 11:48 AM
RE: TGT (Top Gear Two aka The Grand Tour)
First episode just dropped and it is Brilliant. Everything Fake Top Gear was missing.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
18-11-2016, 12:03 PM
This definitely will be on my list.
The new Top Gear is unwatchable.
18-11-2016, 12:09 PM
The first time I watched the original I thought "you wouldn't do that to an enemy." Hobo
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-11-2016, 12:16 PM
(18-11-2016 12:03 PM)pablo Wrote:  This definitely will be on my list.
I never watched old top gear, not my thing really, never seen new top gear either.

But I do find it quite interesting how this thing has played out.
A public favourite show host throws a tanty and physically assaults some guy for not giving him the food he wants, broadcaster does what they think is the "right" thing and fire him. Public don't care about broadcaster's idea of the "right" thing, public dump show and go to new network where their favourite host is doing a new car show Vroom , vroom.

I guess it's called cutting off your nose in the name of self believed moral values, a rare thing, actually for a business like tv production where decisions are generally made on what is profitable or not. Seems they made the "wrong" choice from a business perspective.
18-11-2016, 12:19 PM
(18-11-2016 12:16 PM)Stevil Wrote:  I guess it's called cutting off your nose in the name of self believed moral values, a rare thing, actually for a business like tv production where decisions are generally made on what is profitable or not. Seems they made the "wrong" choice from a business perspective.

At least they weren't pulling a caravan. Gasp
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-11-2016, 12:51 PM
(18-11-2016 12:16 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
I never watched old top gear, not my thing really, never seen new top gear either.

A public favourite show host throws a tanty and physically assaults some guy for not giving him the food he wants, broadcaster does what they think is the "right" thing and fire him. Public don't care about broadcaster's idea of the "right" thing, public dump show and go to new network where their favourite host is doing a new car show Vroom , vroom.

I guess it's called cutting off your nose in the name of self believed moral values, a rare thing, actually for a business like tv production where decisions are generally made on what is profitable or not. Seems they made the "wrong" choice from a business perspective.

I never knew anything about an assault. I just thought BBC wanted new people.
18-11-2016, 02:00 PM
(18-11-2016 12:16 PM)Stevil Wrote:  

There were a lot of internal politics at play here. Remember the BBC is a company that had a Pedophile on staff for 40+ years, knew about and helped hid his actions. The incident in question happened after 13+ hours of filming and in most peoples minds should have resulted in a fine and a suspension. Barring that the worst thing BBC did was try and make Top Gear with a group that was already very unpopular with the core audience. BBC brass apparently have never been big fans of Clarkson May and Hammond and used this incident as an excuse to change the direction of the show.

That direction change went as well as the titanic turning into the iceberg with Chris Evans being publicly humiliated massive ratings failures and an overall impression that BBC's Top Gear died with the release of Jeremy Clarkson and what they are doing now is sad unaware parody. It looks like they are going to give it 1 more season but I doubt it makes it past that.

Did anyone else get some dirt in their eyes during the opening bit? Amazing musical choice to really get you into the show.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
18-11-2016, 06:04 PM
(18-11-2016 02:00 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  There were a lot of internal politics at play here. Remember the BBC is a company that had a Pedophile on staff for 40+ years, knew about and helped hid his actions. The incident in question happened after 13+ hours of filming and in most peoples minds should have resulted in a fine and a suspension. Barring that the worst thing BBC did was try and make Top Gear with a group that was already very unpopular with the core audience. BBC brass apparently have never been big fans of Clarkson May and Hammond and used this incident as an excuse to change the direction of the show.
They were making them money by pulling in great ratings, so, I mean, you don't have to be best buddies with people in order to mutually make money together.

As far as I understand it what Clarkson did is illegal, punching someone, he could have got a criminal record if the victim had decided to press charges. If I had punched a collegue at work, I'd expect to be fired. So personally, I have no problems with an employer firing someone for punching a collegue.
But of course that put the whole show at risk and hence lost profit.

Not firing him, tell him that he can do whatever he pleases as long as he continues to draw an audience.

Anyway, I don't really know enough about it. I just find it to be an interesting scenario. Given that here we have a business making a "moral" decision and facing dire consequences as a result. The fans just don't seem to care about the "moral" view of it (or just disagree with the BCC's interpretation of morality here), they love the show and just want to watch Clarkson and cars.
19-11-2016, 09:13 AM