THE ARROGANCE OF IGNORANCE -- and an offer to he Thinking Atheist Community

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-10-2011, 07:36 AM

THE ARROGANCE OF IGNORANCE -- and an offer to he Thinking Atheist Community
Hello, Everyone --

I heard about THE THINKING ATHEIST on THE ARDENT ATHEIST radio show, and it sounded like a great place to mingle and talk. I have just posted a new essay on my blog that you might find interesting -- New Clothes for Shakespeare and Sondheim or: THE ARROGANCE OF IGNORANCE.
The essay spins off of a theme in my new novel, Traveling in Space, coming out next month from Blüroof Press, which is calling it, “A unique science fiction first-contact novel from the point-of-view of the aliens; a 21st Century Gulliver's Travels with Homo sapiens as the Lilliputians.” I would love for members of this community to read and, if they wish, comment on the essay, either on my blog or here.
As Traveling in Space gives consideration to the topics of this group, and is deeply informed by my atheism, my publisher, Dave Doody (who by day is a senior flight engineer at JPL/NASA) asked me to extend an offer to the Thinking Atheist community. If you think you would be interested in reading Traveling in Space, Dave would be happy to make available to the first ten people who respond a free PDF download of the proof copy of the book. All that he asks in return is that if you like the book enough to recommend it to people -- or even dislike it enough to warn them off -- please let us know how you have done this. Was it by real person-to-person word-of-mouth; emails, a post on your blog; postings on atheist/rationalist/secular websites and blog or SCI FI and fiction websites and blogs, etc.?

To read my essay please go to: http://stevenpaulleivasthisnthat.blogspo...e-and.html

To get the link for the free download of a pdf of Traveling in Space, email me at FirstFixxer@aol.com and put “TIS Preview - TA” in the subject line.
Quote this message in a reply
05-10-2011, 10:40 AM
RE: THE ARROGANCE OF IGNORANCE -- and an offer to he Thinking Atheist Community
Well glad you joined the forum so you could peddle your wares. I'll be sure to avoid your book when it comes out, if it does.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-10-2011, 11:04 AM

(05-10-2011 10:40 AM)lucradis Wrote:  Well glad you joined the forum so you could peddle your wares. I'll be sure to avoid your book when it comes out, if it does.

Lucradis -- Sorry you are taking that attitude. My publisher made the offer in a serious effort to get some feedback on the novel from a community that he feels would enjoy my work. The same offer was made to the Atheist Nexus and the Rational Responders Squad communities with nothing but positive reaction.

However, if the administrators of The Thinking Atheist believe Bluroof and I have overstepped a line, please remove this post.

Otherwise, I believe my novel would be of interest to the members of this forum, and Bluroof is offering a free download with that in mind.
05-10-2011, 11:16 AM
(05-10-2011 11:04 AM)Steven Paul Leiva Wrote:  However, if the administrators of The Thinking Atheist believe Bluroof and I have overstepped a line, please remove this post.

Actually, I personally approved the post. (First posts need to be approved by staff to show up on the forum) We have very few lines that can be stepped over here. As long as you are not only here to advertise, you are welcome to post as much as you like. Keep in mind though, that EVERYONE here is allowed to express themselves, which means that an individual is not representative of the site as a whole.

[Image: StarkLord01.gif]
Find all posts by this user
05-10-2011, 11:43 AM
Such as me. Not affiliated. Just irritated. I'd be interested to see if this particular poster adds to any of the other threads or even starts more of their own.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
05-10-2011, 11:47 AM

(05-10-2011 11:16 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  
(05-10-2011 11:04 AM)Steven Paul Leiva Wrote:  However, if the administrators of The Thinking Atheist believe Bluroof and I have overstepped a line, please remove this post.

Actually, I personally approved the post. (First posts need to be approved by staff to show up on the forum) We have very few lines that can be stepped over here. As long as you are not only here to advertise, you are welcome to post as much as you like. Keep in mind though, that EVERYONE here is allowed to express themselves, which means that an individual is not representative of the site as a whole.

Thank you, Stark Raving, I appreciate it. I just heard of The Thinking Atheist on a broadcast of Emery Emery's ARDENT ATHEIST, and am just exploring the site, and certainly hope to contribute. This is one reason why I posted the link to my essay on my blog, as an introduction to me and as an contribution to the general discussions on this forum. I did not know if it was possible to post my complete essay, but if so, I would be happy to do that in another section you might suggest. It deals with the relative merits of faith and the scientific method in gaining knowledge of -- as Douglas Adams put it -- Life, the Universe and Everything.
05-10-2011, 12:38 PM
Posting a link to the essay would probably be better than posting the whole thing. In fact, I'd suggest that a link in this thread, and those who are interested can discuss it right here.

05-10-2011, 05:32 PM
(05-10-2011 11:47 AM)Steven Paul Leiva Wrote:  
(05-10-2011 11:16 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  

Thank you, Stark Raving, I appreciate it. I just heard of The Thinking Atheist on a broadcast of Emery Emery's ARDENT ATHEIST, and am just exploring the site, and certainly hope to contribute. This is one reason why I posted the link to my essay on my blog, as an introduction to me and as an contribution to the general discussions on this forum. I did not know if it was possible to post my complete essay, but if so, I would be happy to do that in another section you might suggest. It deals with the relative merits of faith and the scientific method in gaining knowledge of -- as Douglas Adams put it -- Life, the Universe and Everything.

I don't think your title/blurb to T.A.F. is done in your own best interests.

It could be construed the wrong way. "So THEY think they can think--I/ll show em!!!"

Also beware of shonky publishers and on line sellers in Oz.
05-10-2011, 05:53 PM
I MUST start using the word "shonky" in my everyday conversations.

05-10-2011, 05:59 PM
Hey you posted another unrelated thread woohoo. Now I am happy to have you on the forum, glad to see you're not just here selling your wares. I might even look at your book if it hits shelves.