THE CASE AGAINST RELIGION by Dr. Albert Ellis

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-10-2013, 09:44 AM
THE CASE AGAINST RELIGION by Dr. Albert Ellis
I have greatly benefited from Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy which was developed by world renowned Psychologist Dr. Albert Ellis. Dr. Ellis has been considered the second most influential psychotherapist in history. In 2007, before his death, Psychology Today magazine described him as the "greatest living psychologist."

I am recommending the reading of his booklet containing two hypotheses: "THE CASE AGAINST RELIGION: A Psychotherapist's View"; and, "THE CASE AGAINST RELIGIOSITY". The booklet is published by the American Atheist Press in Cranford, New Jersey.

You can find this booklet on Amazon or at http://albertellis.org

I especially enjoyed the second paper, "THE CASE AGAINST RELIGIOSITY" where in the first sentence he writes "This article will try to make a succinct and cogent case for the proposition that unbelief, skepticism, and thoroughgoing Atheism not only abet but are practically synonymous with mental health; and that devout belief, dogmatism, and religiousity distinctly contribute to and in some ways are equal to mental or emotional disturbance."

Let me know what you may think...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like CaptKram1963's post
23-10-2013, 10:24 AM
RE: THE CASE AGAINST RELIGION by Dr. Albert Ellis
Just from the statement between the mental states of atheists and believers, I can think about the major differences between myself and my co worker. He's a Jesus loving vibe-toting God fearing American and I'm the Atheist who somehow stills needs to find his way. I'm more comfortable with where I am going in life and I tackle situations head on and thrive in the idea of the unknown. I take chances and I'm confident in my abilities. He's unsure about his future, not confident enough to even start college classes, and is one of the most scatter-brained, hypocritical, and credulous people I've ever met. It is obvious to even others, that I'm more centered, reserved, and focused than this guy. He uses faith and I use reason. Who's light shines brighter?Cool
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Zazen's post
27-10-2013, 03:10 AM
If I find the time, I will read his books. So you say you like the second one better? I think I will start with that then.

Thank you!

Fun "paradox": The higher the selection pressure, the slower evolution takes place.
[+] 1 user Likes Youkay's post
06-11-2013, 07:55 AM
Religion is parasite ideas on the brain, but for some it is just like a dress or a neutral belief. For other they actually let religious ideas inform their life. For some it is a cause of disorder, for others it is a symptom- escapism, for others it is a combination. But in every case a man needs someone to become, himself, in a way that works in the world. he needs to be hard enough, direct enough, attentive enough, hopeful enough in this the real world. He needs values that might be the same as a religion but without the dogma. Religion tends to want to monopolize.
06-11-2013, 06:14 PM
(20-10-2013 09:44 AM)CaptKram1963 Wrote:  "This article will try to make a succinct and cogent case for the proposition that unbelief, skepticism, and thoroughgoing Atheism not only abet but are practically synonymous with mental health; and that devout belief, dogmatism, and religiousity distinctly contribute to and in some ways are equal to mental or emotional disturbance."

...I think Dr. Ellis was writing out of his ass. If this thread received more attention it itself would suggest otherwise.