THE N WORD.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-12-2011, 11:40 PM
RE: THE N WORD.
(11-12-2011 11:13 PM)morondog Wrote:  There is a place for it - e.g. the Huck Finn books, where it's drawing attention to the bullshit social context of the day.

But if you say that word, what you are saying is "You are worthless, you are just a plantation slave. No matter what you do or what you achieve, you will always be a nigger, never a black man, never worthy of respect. The meanest white man will get more respect from me than you. You are just a monkey. If you do anything worthwhile, you're just a monkey who's learned a trick." It carries so much hidden meaning... safer to stay away from it.

I'm sure you'll forgive me if old habits die hard.

Amen, Brother.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
12-12-2011, 12:28 AM
The word nigger… is derivative of a 14th century word niggard or niggardly meaning miserly or stingy. The bastardized version of the word nigger, came about around the 1500s when slave owners began to try to use the word to degrade slaves, inferring they were slow and/or not forthcoming with work, in other words, calling them lazy. The cruel, degrading, derogatory term has passed through centuries, throughout the US and internationally.
I gleefully use a certain amount of healthy obscenity daily, perhaps once an hour, and it's offended very few people I've come in contact with. However, I see no point in using hurtful, derogatory, cruel, obscenity… no degrading word aimed at a person or group of persons.
In my formative years, I was taught "black is beautiful"… as well, I was taught the word nigger was a hurtful, cruel, obscenity of degradation and historical shame… these are things I do believe to this day.
The "adoption" and further bastardization of the word as nigga, feels to me an ironic joke, rather than a title, as I think it's meant. I think my black friends feel just as uncomfortable by it's use as I do; could be generation specific. It's certainly not my place to "reclaim" something I clearly have little connection to, other than cultural reference.
I detest pulling the word out of literature -especially Mark Twain! Talk about dummying down America! If you don't know where you've been, you will never get anywhere.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 3 users Like kim's post
12-12-2011, 12:36 AM
(12-12-2011 12:28 AM)kim Wrote:  The word nigger… is derivative of a 14th century word niggard or niggardly meaning miserly or stingy. The bastardized version of the word nigger, came about around the 1500s when slave owners began to try to use the word to degrade slaves, inferring they were slow and/or not forthcoming with work, in other words, calling them lazy. The cruel, degrading, derogatory term has passed through centuries, throughout the US and internationally.
I gleefully use a certain amount of healthy obscenity daily, perhaps once an hour, and it's offended very few people I've come in contact with. However, I see no point in using hurtful, derogatory, cruel, obscenity… no degrading word aimed at a person or group of persons.
In my formative years, I was taught "black is beautiful"… as well, I was taught the word nigger was a hurtful, cruel, obscenity of degradation and historical shame… these are things I do believe to this day.
The "adoption" and further bastardization of the word as nigga, feels to me an ironic joke, rather than a title, as I think it's meant. I think my black friends feel just as uncomfortable by it's use as I do; could be generation specific. It's certainly not my place to "reclaim" something I clearly have little connection to, other than cultural reference.
I detest pulling the word out of literature -especially Mark Twain! Talk about dummying down America! If you don't know where you've been, you will never get anywhere.

I could have sworn "nigger" came from the Latin word "niger" which means black (took Latin for 3 years). Maybe I'm wrong.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 2 users Like kingschosen's post
12-12-2011, 12:39 AM
(12-12-2011 12:36 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  I could have sworn "nigger" came from the Latin word "niger" which means black (took Latin for 3 years). Maybe I'm wrong.

Wouldn't surprise me. Most of your other posts have been wrong. Big Grin

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 3 users Like Erxomai's post
12-12-2011, 12:41 AM
(12-12-2011 12:39 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(12-12-2011 12:36 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  I could have sworn "nigger" came from the Latin word "niger" which means black (took Latin for 3 years). Maybe I'm wrong.

Wouldn't surprise me. Most of your other posts have been wrong. Big Grin

...where did I put my rimshot?

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 4 users Like kingschosen's post
12-12-2011, 01:37 AM (This post was last modified: 12-12-2011 02:00 AM by kim.)

Smile It is! You are exactly right!
It is a multiple derivation - not uncommon when Germanic and Latin languages are thrown into the pot... especially when that pot is stirred by the Dutch. Much of the slave trade came through Virginia and the islands of the Caribbean -Spanish, British, French ships all had tremendous interaction with merchants... especially Dutch merchants. The Dutch had an enormous network of ships and ports all over the world. For the Dutch, language was and is to this day, an amazing melting pot of Germanic and Latin languages, as well as the native tongue of every port of call, not to mention the numerous dialects of those local languages.
The derogatory word nigger also partly originated as a term used in a neutral context to refer to black people, as a variation of the Spanish/Portuguese negro or niger meaning the color black. The French word noir is black. In Colonial America, the word negars was used in describing the African slaves shipped to the Virginia colony. Later American English spellings, neger and neggar.
From what I've gleaned; slave traders & sea merchants were in a sense calling African slaves "blacks", while slave owners who had their own economic networks, also had their own slang derivatives, and pejorative terms.

I have odd feelings about words like this, perhaps because I love words. I have a great appreciation for etymology and lexicon and hate to see words not used because of their connotation. Maybe for a while, putting a few to rest is a good idea... but it should be done without censoring literature, revising history, or redoing culture.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
12-12-2011, 01:39 AM
I still stand by my earlier comment about the veracity of KC's postings. Tongue

~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
12-12-2011, 02:20 AM
I do find it silly that certain black people take offense to somebody using the term.....but then with close friends they continue its usage as a word.

I suppose its in the usage of the term.....seeing as the word is now not only derogatory but now also seen as a friendly thing its usage just becomes more complicated.

Eminem said it best in this track.

"Whats the difference between us....we could start at the penis....or we could scream I just dont give a fuck and see who means it"

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
12-12-2011, 02:24 AM
Slang puppy, I'm telling ya. Like I'm a mick and you're a limey. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-12-2011, 02:31 AM
(12-12-2011 02:24 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Slang puppy, I'm telling ya. Like I'm a mick and you're a limey. Tongue

Ha ha its true Tongue

We are all just labels Cool

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.