THE N WORD.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-12-2011, 01:01 PM (This post was last modified: 12-12-2011 01:05 PM by kim.)
RE: THE N WORD.
(12-12-2011 11:09 AM)cufflink Wrote:  Kim, the racial slur "nigger" has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the unrelated word "niggardly." That the two words sound similar is nothing more than a coincidence--and an unfortunate one, since it means that a perfectly legitimate word can no longer be said in public (at least in the U.S.) because of an erroneously perceived connection to bigotry. The misunderstanding once actually caused a public official to lose his job.

That's absolutely true, they do not have anything to do with each other. My etymology connections are totally screwed on this one... odd that it's in two books I checked... and probably took out of context .... so much for my in-depth research.

Wink I finally pulled up my OED... which is where I should have gone to in the first place!! It even addresses the very misunderstanding which you also linked....

The word niggardly (miserly) is etymologically unrelated to nigger, derived from the Old Norse word nig (stingy) and the Middle English word nigon. In the US, this word has been misheard or misread to mean nigger, therefore being taken as offensive. In January 1999, David Howard, a white Washington, D.C. city employee, was compelled to resign after using niggardly — in a financial context — while speaking with black colleagues, who took umbrage. After reviewing the misunderstanding, Mayor Anthony Williams offered to reinstate Mr Howard, who refused reinstatement for another job elsewhere in the mayor's government.

Gee... my second posting was "more true"? What an idiot.
Screwed that pooch... Sorry, m'dumbshit.
No more posting unless I know what the hell I'm posting. Blush

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-12-2011, 01:11 PM
Not a problem. We've all made our share of mistakes online. I know I have. Smile

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
[+] 1 user Likes cufflink's post
12-12-2011, 01:26 PM
The hell you do to Kim, Cufflink? Go sit in the corner. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
12-12-2011, 02:46 PM
(12-12-2011 01:26 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  The hell you do to Kim, Cufflink? Go sit in the corner. Big Grin

Yes... I claim 'Tard.... as in Retard.

You know... the new "N" word. Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
12-12-2011, 05:08 PM
(12-12-2011 11:14 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(12-12-2011 12:28 AM)kim Wrote:  The word nigger… is derivative of a 14th century word niggard or niggardly meaning miserly or stingy. The bastardized version of the word nigger, came about around the 1500s when slave owners began to try to use the word to degrade slaves, inferring they were slow and/or not forthcoming with work, in other words, calling them lazy. The cruel, degrading, derogatory term has passed through centuries, throughout the US and internationally.

No, that's urban myth. The two words share no etymology whatsoever. Niggard pre-dates nigger by centuries. Nigger derives from negro.

This. Most likely from the word 'negra'. It would have been very common for Spanish visitors to Africa to simply call natives 'negras'.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
[+] 1 user Likes germanyt's post
12-12-2011, 05:30 PM
Now that the dust has settled a bit, I'd argue it from Kim's perspective.

Negro is a classification, but Nig is the insult; so it seems likely the negative emotional context transferred from niggard to nigger. Just some naive philosophy. Smile

My "big picture" is, if you missed it, the "the Witwiki symbolism." That word is not the sand in the oyster that gets layered in pearl to become concept, but rather an early stage of pearl. And just like in the flick Transformers II, there's some wonk kind of "symbol" that actually is the grain of sand that over time codes for a wide field of concept.

Just saying, I'm on the job with the naive philosophy for my Gwynnies. She might be watchin... Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
12-12-2011, 05:39 PM
(12-12-2011 05:30 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Just saying, I'm on the job with the naive philosophy for my Gwynnies. She might be watchin... Big Grin

Someone's gotta do it.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
12-12-2011, 05:39 PM
Good point there... HoC ...
... and another reason why "retard" is the new N-word.
Tongue

[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
12-12-2011, 05:44 PM
(12-12-2011 05:30 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  ... it seems likely the negative emotional context transferred from niggard to nigger.

No, I think you have the chronology reversed.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
12-12-2011, 05:46 PM
I must confess, I enjoy using the word niggardly in the correct context.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel