THE N WORD.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-12-2011, 05:51 PM
RE: THE N WORD.
I am a little late to this party, but here's my two or three cents:
  • I don't like the word "nigger" at all - I don't use it, and I don't like hearing it.
    • I knew already that "niggardly" had nothing to do with "nigger," but because people may not realize that, I don't use the word. I had a boyfriend who used "niggardly" in business transactions occasionally, and I asked him to stop, and told him why, and he agreed. It might have been a little overkill, but since the word isn't necessary to use, why chance it?
    • I also think it's awful to tweak history and literature, so I agree that removing it from Twain's work, for instance, is stupid.
    • My in-laws are quite different than I am, and I find them to be racist and ignorant about many things. Recently, they were at my house and were talking about black squirrels, and used the term "swigger," which instantly made me sick to my stomach.

I was born and raised in the Washington, DC metro area, and miss it. It is very ethnically and racially diverse, and you see all races and ethnicities across all socio-economic lines. I grew up saying "black," but starting in the, oh, 90s, early 90s, it became more and more common to call people "African-American." I tend to call American-born blacks that term - doesn't bother me one bit. I like diversity, so people referring to themselves by what their ethnicity is, eh, whatever!

ETA - I obviously don't know how to get the bullets to work properly, which is driving me nuts! Sorry.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-12-2011, 05:55 PM
(12-12-2011 05:51 PM)JumpinJude Wrote:  I knew already that "niggardly" had nothing to do with "nigger," but because people may not realize that, I don't use the word.

Well, I'm not going to be dictated to by other people's ignorance, nor let the English language be impoverished it. I will continue to use "niggardly".

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
12-12-2011, 05:57 PM
(12-12-2011 05:55 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(12-12-2011 05:51 PM)JumpinJude Wrote:  I knew already that "niggardly" had nothing to do with "nigger," but because people may not realize that, I don't use the word.

Well, I'm not going to be dictated to by other people's ignorance, nor let the English language be impoverished it. I will continue to use "niggardly".

And you can, LOL - and I understand why. I am just saying I don't use it, and because of where we lived at the time, I suggested to my boyfriend that he not use it, either, and he was cool with that. Had he disagreed with me, I would have accepted it.

I am a lover of language, including my own English, and I really do understand where you're coming from.
12-12-2011, 06:08 PM
(12-12-2011 05:55 PM)Chas Wrote:  Well, I'm not going to be dictated to by other people's ignorance, nor let the English language be impoverished it. I will continue to use "niggardly".

We bump heads, but you're an all-right guy. Myself, I used to have a "free-speech across the board" perspective; so I ain't telling you you're wrong.

I don't use that term because I have a different agenda.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
12-12-2011, 06:20 PM (This post was last modified: 12-12-2011 06:24 PM by GirlyMan.)
(12-12-2011 05:46 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  I must confess, I enjoy using the word niggardly in the correct context.

I've taken to replacing niggardly with Scottish. I just find it more fun to intentionally insult an entire country than to be misinterpreted as insulting a skin tone. And the Scots find it every bit as funny as I do. Win-Win. Big Grin

Scottish Jokes

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
12-12-2011, 06:26 PM
(12-12-2011 06:20 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(12-12-2011 05:46 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  I must confess, I enjoy using the word niggardly in the correct context.

I've taken to replacing niggardly with Scottish. I just find it more fun to intentionally insult an entire country than to be misinterpreted as insulting a skin tone. And the Scots find it every bit as funny as I do. Win-Win. Big Grin

Scottish Jokes

Can we call them FSM_Scot jokes? Because that would be REALLY funny! Big Grin

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
12-12-2011, 06:30 PM
Saw your thread title and immediately thought of this.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
[+] 1 user Likes Buddy Christ's post
12-12-2011, 06:33 PM
(12-12-2011 06:30 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  Saw your thread title and immediately thought of this.

Love Louis CK. He actually makes an excellent point.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
12-12-2011, 06:55 PM
(12-12-2011 01:26 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  The hell you do to Kim, Cufflink? Go sit in the corner. Big Grin

Can I come out of the corner now please? Sad

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
[+] 2 users Like cufflink's post
12-12-2011, 07:10 PM
(12-12-2011 06:20 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

Scottish Jokes

Q: What's the difference between chopping an onion and chopping up a set of bagpipes?

A: No one ever cried chopping up bagpipes.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post