THE QUESTION (first date)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-11-2013, 10:14 AM
RE: THE QUESTION (first date)
I just remembered, at some point she brought up the Ouija Board, and said things like that she felt were evil and demonic. Perplexed, I said, "But it's made by Hasbro Inc".

She replied, "Yes, it may be made by Hasbro, but it's covered by demonic and ocult text and imagaes."

I said, "I'm not sure at what point on the factory floor of Hasbro the demons get in there. Because I doubt Hasbro hires Satanist preist to work in their factories just to enchant their board games. When does it happen, when the print goes on the board?"

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Raptor Jesus's post
18-11-2013, 11:26 AM
I got lucky, my first date with my current girlfriend was a 80 mile motorcycle ride. I don't think that counts as a typical start of a courtship. Anyways...

A few dates later and I found myself walking around a local fair with her and we sat down to eat some terrible fair food ('terrible' as in great tasting but probably gives you cancer). I can't remember what exactly we were talking about, but somehow religion came up and I tentatively broached the subject (this was only our third date), and she totally agreed with me. Turns out she's a total heathen too, and we're still happily together. Sorry I can't really give any advice here, other than to chime in once again that I got really lucky.

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
18-11-2013, 01:10 PM
(17-11-2013 01:58 PM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  She said back when she was still married, her husband sat straight up in bed, without waking up, but was talking in a "real" language that was not earthly, and was possessed by a demon. She knows it was a demon because of the "real" language that he was speaking, which he does not know, and because he was very scary and his eyes were solid black, whites, irises and everything. She did not give much more detail on that, but did say the next day she asked him about it, and he said he thought it must have been a demon, and he remembered saying a name, so they looked up the name, and it was a specific demon. So they knew it must have been real. ...now to be fair, at this point I was done with her... She said some other things too. Now, I can deal with someone having a belief and still dating them, but it's another thing for them to say they've seen and talked to demons. That's outside of my scope.

Now, I can totally understand why you didn't want to press the issue at that time, but the first (well, second*) thing that jumped out at me in that story is that if the guy was speaking a language that they did not know, how did she know when he said a demon's name? How would any one of those random words stood out as a name from the rest of them?

* The first was her noticing the color of his eyes. I assumed this happened at night and it was dark in the room. Even with a night-light on, I wouldn't be able to see eye color in the dark.

Also, this makes me wonder if she just dreamed the whole thing. I mean, it happened at night, he was already asleep, and the rest of the details are obviously crazy. It seems likely that she had a nightmare, told her credulous husband, and they both assumed it happed for realsies.
18-11-2013, 02:51 PM
(18-11-2013 01:10 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  Now, I can totally understand why you didn't want to press the issue at that time, but the first (well, second*) thing that jumped out at me in that story is that if the guy was speaking a language that they did not know, how did she know when he said a demon's name? How would any one of those random words stood out as a name from the rest of them?

* The first was her noticing the color of his eyes. I assumed this happened at night and it was dark in the room. Even with a night-light on, I wouldn't be able to see eye color in the dark.

Also, this makes me wonder if she just dreamed the whole thing. I mean, it happened at night, he was already asleep, and the rest of the details are obviously crazy. It seems likely that she had a nightmare, told her credulous husband, and they both assumed it happed for realsies.

I assumed if she thought they looked black it was just because it was dark, or because she was freaked out because he was sleep talking.

I have an exgirlfriend who would occasionally sit up in bed, in the middle of the night, and mummble things in her sleep, then fall back to sleep. She wouldn't remember it. Rather than sleep walking, it was like a sleep talking/sitting up thing. But I never assumed she had demons in her when she did that!

18-11-2013, 03:35 PM
I skipped most of the thread, mainly because I wanted to answer one of the original questions. I'll go back and read the other stuff later.

The question I wanted to answer was, "What do I do when someone asks if I believe in god on the first date?" My answer, that I've used many times, mostly with success, is, "how important is it to you?" I know, I know, rude to answer a question with a question, but it works here. It allows you to remain opinionless, since you could be assuming either she's religious or atheist. If it' s really important to them, they'll say so. In that case, it's good it was resolved on the first date. But if she even so much as hesitates, I'll jump in and make light, by smiling and asking if we really want to talk religion, politics or, god forbid (wink) our dysfunctional families on our first date!

That has almost always resolved the issue for me in the past.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 2 users Like Stark Raving's post
18-11-2013, 09:47 PM
(17-11-2013 02:49 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Ive never had luck dating religious people. It always becomes an issue, inevitably.

Instead of Christian Mingle, we need something like that for free thinking types.

Well, not me, as I'm happily married, but you.

Why are you still reading this line when it is obviously my signature line?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-11-2013, 11:31 PM
(18-11-2013 09:47 PM)FaceOfBoe Wrote:  Instead of Christian Mingle, we need something like that for free thinking types.

A-date

18-11-2013, 11:33 PM (This post was last modified: 18-11-2013 11:36 PM by Hobbitgirl.)
Well, it will happen. -Trust me- You'll meet the person in the strangest places O.o

*I met my amazing boyfriend on here after all*
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
18-11-2013, 11:42 PM
Have you tried online dating? I knocked it for a long time but it really is a useful tool for screening out people you're just not compatible with for clear reasons like religion, children, etc. You can put on your profile "I'm an atheist, don't mind dating anyone of any religion as long as you are respectful of my beliefs too." Done and out of the way.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it- not even if I have said it- unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha
18-11-2013, 11:57 PM (This post was last modified: 22-11-2013 01:20 AM by Dark Light.)
If I were in the dating game, and I were looking for something long term, I would want to get this out of the way straight off. I don't want to be with someone who would reject me because of my lack of beliefs. It's that simple. I think you got lucky. I guess it's a matter of perspective.

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post