THIS is why Christianity is the RIGHT religion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-10-2014, 02:28 PM
THIS is why Christianity is the RIGHT religion
So I was talking to a family member yesterday and she was saying the thing that sets Christianity apart from every other religion is that Christianity has a savior. Every other religion need good works- such as not sinning or following some sort of rules.

Not only is that an extremely broad statement because there are tons of religions, but I think a lot of different religions actually do believe that their god is the loving savior.

She also said the old testament is there to show that we can never be good enough without Jesus. Facepalm

So basically, god waited all those years in the old testament before he sent Jesus, caused all that chaos (to say the least), let people get brutally punished and killed for not following his law...all so that he could make a fucking point.

Oh, well now I feel silly for being an atheist.

"Most people are other people.
Their thoughts are someone else's opinions,
their lives a mimicry,
their passions a quotation."
-Oscar Wilde
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 12 users Like LadyWallFlower's post
13-10-2014, 02:32 PM
RE: THIS is why Christianity is the RIGHT religion
Send her this: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=savior+gods

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 3 users Like unfogged's post
13-10-2014, 02:42 PM
Thanks to the wonder of salvation doctrine, good people can go to hell and bad people can go to heaven. Praise Jesus the unjust!

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 3 users Like TheInquisition's post
13-10-2014, 02:46 PM
Except that not all sects of Christianity feel that way. Some require good works for your salvation.
[+] 1 user Likes wazzel's post
13-10-2014, 02:55 PM (This post was last modified: 13-10-2014 03:00 PM by KnowtheSilence.)
I love the "Christianity is unique, therefor it is true"-style arguments.

I remember seeing a table where some Christian had laid out the differences between Christianity and Islam, basically saying that since Christianity has these things and Islam has these other things, Christianity is right. But wait...can't a Muslim say the same thing? "Look, Christianity is different, so we're right." They could even use the same frigging table to do it.

And the whole "we're saved by faith" thing counts against Christianity in my mind. Oh, those other religions actually expect you to follow rules and be a good person (by their particular standards, which are usually all kinds of messed up), but in Christianity you just have to believe stuff? Which one of those actually sounds like something a God might set up for people to follow, provided God isn't completely insane? My money would be on the one where you actually have to do stuff. Cuz let's be honest, if the selling point of your religion is that you just have to think (or not think) certain stuff instead of actually getting off your ass and doing fuck all, you're either fucking lazy or not taking religion seriously.

I'm just thinking out loud.
[+] 4 users Like KnowtheSilence's post
13-10-2014, 02:55 PM
There are more distinctives to Christianity that "a savior. For example, I only very rarely see non-Christians preaching publicly. If atheists are certain religious people are deluded, perhaps they should preach publicly and try to rescue others from the religious world of bigotry, intolerance, hurt, oppression, etc.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-10-2014, 02:59 PM
It would seem to me that if you do away with the guy who wants to throw you in the bbq pit for all time, this would be the path to salvation.

It would also seem to me that the guy bringing a bunch of murderers and rapists into heaven might not be welcome there. You might not want to follow that guy and the crowd he hangs out with.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
13-10-2014, 03:11 PM
(13-10-2014 02:28 PM)LadyWallFlower Wrote:  So I was talking to a family member yesterday and she was saying the thing that sets Christianity apart from every other religion is that Christianity has a savior. Every other religion need good works- such as not sinning or following some sort of rules.

Not only is that an extremely broad statement because there are tons of religions, but I think a lot of different religions actually do believe that their god is the loving savior.

She also said the old testament is there to show that we can never be good enough without Jesus. Facepalm

So basically, god waited all those years in the old testament before he sent Jesus, caused all that chaos (to say the least), let people get brutally punished and killed for not following his law...all so that he could make a fucking point.

Oh, well now I feel silly for being an atheist.

Now all we have to do is figure out why we need a savior. I never did understand why our supposed ancestors merely eating an apple without yet knowing anything about good and evil somehow meant doom for us all.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
[+] 6 users Like Impulse's post
13-10-2014, 03:13 PM
(13-10-2014 02:55 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  There are more distinctives to Christianity that "a savior. For example, I only very rarely see non-Christians preaching publicly. If atheists are certain religious people are deluded, perhaps they should preach publicly and try to rescue others from the religious world of bigotry, intolerance, hurt, oppression, etc.
Yeah Christians are the main ones with that annoying behavior. Why would atheists want to make nuisances of themselves too? Consider

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
[+] 3 users Like Impulse's post
13-10-2014, 03:14 PM
[Image: poster.gif]

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 6 users Like TheInquisition's post