THIS is why Christianity is the RIGHT religion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-10-2014, 01:36 PM
RE: THIS is why Christianity is the RIGHT religion
(29-10-2014 01:23 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Do you accept this definition of altruism?

"The belief in or practice of disinterested and selfless concern for the well-being of others."

Which of these animals have you polled to see if they are disinterested and selfless?

Not symbiotic. Not pack behavior. Not protecting their young. Altruistic.

Thanks.

Which humans have you polled to see if they are disinterested and selfless? And how do you know they were telling the truth? I personally don't believe there is any such thing as true altruism. There is always something in it for the person making the sacrifice. Of course, I can't prove that, because I can't read people's minds. But you can't prove your assertion, either, and for the same reason.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-10-2014, 11:58 AM
(29-10-2014 01:36 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(29-10-2014 01:23 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Do you accept this definition of altruism?

"The belief in or practice of disinterested and selfless concern for the well-being of others."

Which of these animals have you polled to see if they are disinterested and selfless?

Not symbiotic. Not pack behavior. Not protecting their young. Altruistic.

Thanks.

Which humans have you polled to see if they are disinterested and selfless? And how do you know they were telling the truth? I personally don't believe there is any such thing as true altruism. There is always something in it for the person making the sacrifice. Of course, I can't prove that, because I can't read people's minds. But you can't prove your assertion, either, and for the same reason.

And that's the root of the issue. Taken to an extent, Jesus died for politics or martyrdom and not for our souls. What is "in it" for the sacrificial person is that it is more blessed to give than to receive. I see this frequently among my people and seldom among yours.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-10-2014, 12:04 PM
(30-10-2014 11:58 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(29-10-2014 01:36 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Which humans have you polled to see if they are disinterested and selfless? And how do you know they were telling the truth? I personally don't believe there is any such thing as true altruism. There is always something in it for the person making the sacrifice. Of course, I can't prove that, because I can't read people's minds. But you can't prove your assertion, either, and for the same reason.

And that's the root of the issue. Taken to an extent, Jesus died for politics or martyrdom and not for our souls. What is "in it" for the sacrificial person is that it is more blessed to give than to receive. I see this frequently among my people and seldom among yours.

Most religious people are nice to others because it is what they have to do to get into the after life. So their actions are nice in appearance, but totally selfish in reality.
30-10-2014, 12:06 PM
(29-10-2014 01:36 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Which humans have you polled to see if they are disinterested and selfless? And how do you know they were telling the truth? I personally don't believe there is any such thing as true altruism. There is always something in it for the person making the sacrifice. Of course, I can't prove that, because I can't read people's minds. But you can't prove your assertion, either, and for the same reason.

Wow! YOUR people have the command of YOUR god and the threat of god not being pleased that impels them towards good acts. When you don't have a deity ready to punish you and you do good acts, it's more likely to be pure altruism.
I frequently see YOUR people making condemning statements of this nature towards anyone that doesn't believe as they do.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
30-10-2014, 12:08 PM

How do you know that? I think what's in it for them is that they think it improves their chances of going to Heaven, and/or it gives them a warm fuzzy feeling inside. Either way, they are getting a direct personal benefit (or they think they are). They may say it's because it's more blessed to give than to receive, but that's not their real motivation. The other stuff is.

Also, "you see" what you want to see. How many of "our people" do you regularly associate with? How would you even know what kinds of things we do, or how generous we are in general?
31-10-2014, 10:03 AM
First, this concept that Jesus mentioned of being more blessed to give than to receive is agreed upon by many who have given from all cultures and faiths as well as many notable atheists. Second, I saw that after Katrina, for one of many examples I could cite, that tens of thousands of Christians descended on the scene to help. How many atheists do you know who went? Thanks.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
31-10-2014, 10:13 AM
(31-10-2014 10:03 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  First, this concept that Jesus mentioned of being more blessed to give than to receive is agreed upon by many who have given from all cultures and faiths as well as many notable atheists. Second, I saw that after Katrina, for one of many examples I could cite, that tens of thousands of Christians descended on the scene to help. How many atheists do you know who went? Thanks.

You know, you could actually Google this.

There were many non-religious organizations that helped, e.g. America's Second Harvest, Habitat for Humanity, American Public School Endowments, ASPCA, International Energy Agency, UN, Canada, ...

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
31-10-2014, 01:44 PM
Not with money from afar but with bodies and time in person:

http://www.nelsonprice.com/new-orleans-k...se-part-i/

31-10-2014, 03:27 PM
(31-10-2014 01:44 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Not with money from afar but with bodies and time in person:

http://www.nelsonprice.com/new-orleans-k...se-part-i/

Some random guy's personal blog is not at all convincing.

Those organizations had boots on the ground. And in Canada's case, ships and helicopters.

You need to get out more.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
31-10-2014, 05:09 PM
(31-10-2014 10:03 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  First, this concept that Jesus mentioned of being more blessed to give than to receive is agreed upon by many who have given from all cultures and faiths as well as many notable atheists. Second, I saw that after Katrina, for one of many examples I could cite, that tens of thousands of Christians descended on the scene to help. How many atheists do you know who went? Thanks.

Some of those helpful Christians may have had vested interests such as eternal life based on somehighly questionable criteria..........also the Hell threat.
Note i simply say some; others may have quite different rationales.....