TN: New Gun Measure Passed House After 6 Minute Hearing

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-02-2013, 08:57 AM
RE: TN: New Gun Measure Passed House After 6 Minute Hearing
(14-02-2013 08:53 AM)Zat Wrote:  
(14-02-2013 08:26 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  But I am from Tennessee and I know the average intelligence level and the level at which people reason through problems. For a lot of people there, it is shoot first and ask questions later. Never mind calling cops, they will just get in your way from dishing out your form of justice.
Thanks for reminding me why I prefer to live in Canada.

I will now go outside and kiss the ground (if I find it under the snow!) Tongue
Dude, you have no idea. And it isn't just how they think and what they think, it is the fact that talking about opposing opinions offends them to the point that they refuse to have intelligible discussions about it. I have had numerous people defriend me off of facebook because I object to their stupid shit on facebook. They can't handle discussion and decide that the only appropirate response is "out of sight, out of mind." But they don't use their minds so... Dodgy

Evolve

Smartass
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/James_Beard2
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-02-2013, 09:03 AM
(14-02-2013 08:57 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  But they don't use their minds so... Dodgy
I they haven't got it, they can't use it! No
14-02-2013, 11:06 AM
I can understand why businesses wouldnt want guns on their property, I see no problem though in somebody having a gun in their car no matter where it is parked, as long as it stays in the car and is secured.

I think it should be limited though to within reasonable limits. I see no problem to somebody having a handgun locked up but somebody driving round with a load of weapons (locked up or not) whilst they nip to the shop to get some milk... id discourage.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
14-02-2013, 12:48 PM (This post was last modified: 14-02-2013 01:21 PM by Dark Light.)
@TBD The problem with gunfree zones is that the people who are willing to obey that law/rule, is the people who you need to least worry about. Also, I don't appreciate the generalization the the average Tennessean will solve their problems by going apeshit with firearms on people before calling the law. Surely you don't honestly believe that do you? I sure don't.

14-02-2013, 12:55 PM
Re: TN: New Gun Measure Passed House After 6 Minute Hearing
Unfortunately I do believe that the "average Tennessee resident" would just as soon pull a gun as ever call the cops. I've seen enough disagreements between people there explode because they can't have rational discussions. And they don't trust cops, so anytime they feel threatened, they feel justified in taking matters into their own hands.

The solution is neither "gun-free" zones or unrestricted zones. Neither solves any of the problems. Is the psycho with the gun not going into the school because someone might have a gun locked up in their car? They don't care about that rule either and they don't care about someone else having a gun.

This sidesteps the issues entirely and makes it appear as though legislators are doing something when they are barely doing anything more than wiping their own ass.

Evolve

Smartass
14-02-2013, 12:59 PM
Let me give some perspective. Some friends and I were 13 or 14 years old and playing hide and go seek in the dark. We were techinally cheating, as the 3 of us hid in a field across the road (the Road was supposed to be the boundary). We hid there in the grass and one friend walked to the edge of the field to look for the seekers. The neighbor sees him, asks him who he is, and he just runs off startled. That guy comes back out with his shotgun and shoots. I so fucking wish I was making that up. But I'm not.

Evolve

Smartass
14-02-2013, 01:21 PM
Although you've had a bad experience or experiences, I'd certainly disagree with you about your first point. If it was as bad as you think we would have likely seen much more homicides and laws reflecting that as well. If you revised your statement and said that the average Tennessean is more likely to take the law into their own hands than the majority of other states, I would probably agree, but as it stands, I'd disagree.

I agree with you on the second paragraph.

14-02-2013, 01:26 PM
That's exactly what I am saying though. But for most, that means using or displaying a gun. Now, what happens when idiot 1 pulls a gun to intimidate and then idiot 2 pulls one?

While homicide rates and such may not be higher, incidents like the one I mentioned don't get reported. So they don't get included in the statistics. No kid should have those kinds of experiences.

Evolve

Smartass
14-02-2013, 02:39 PM
You could say the same about any place. Large cities have much more problems with guns. Tennessee's only city that is somewhat on the large side is Memphis. Nashville has about half the population, and is a great city IMO, Knoxville was about half that of Nashville, but I do know as of last year is was the fastest growing city in America so that may not be true anymore. Whatever the case, states with bustling cities, primarily coastal states probably have much more problems. I'd guess California embodies this the best, and it's strict gun laws would certainly mirror that if true. If you think us country hicks don't much care for law enforcement, or distrust it, then try your hand at L.A. Of course I have been lazy and haven't bothered looking up the stats, so I could be wrong, but I doubt it. In any case I'd rather have to deal with crotchety ole' Farmer Brown than a Blood.

Okay, I'm done rambling and musing.

14-02-2013, 03:48 PM
(14-02-2013 02:39 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  You could say the same about any place. Large cities have much more problems with guns. Tennessee's only city that is somewhat on the large side is Memphis. Nashville has about half the population, and is a great city IMO, Knoxville was about half that of Nashville, but I do know as of last year is was the fastest growing city in America so that may not be true anymore. Whatever the case, states with bustling cities, primarily coastal states probably have much more problems. I'd guess California embodies this the best, and it's strict gun laws would certainly mirror that if true. If you think us country hicks don't much care for law enforcement, or distrust it, then try your hand at L.A. Of course I have been lazy and haven't bothered looking up the stats, so I could be wrong, but I doubt it. In any case I'd rather have to deal with crotchety ole' Farmer Brown than a Blood.

Okay, I'm done rambling and musing.
Forgive me if you think I am trying to say that only hicks and rednecks distrust cops. It is not the fact that they are cops, we all have a problem with authority because we don't want other people telling us what to do (whether a blood, crip, KKK, or just your run of the mill asshole).

I am also not saying that I would rather deal with a gang member than a farmer. I just don't like idiots and both groups have their fair share.

You do mention Memphis, which has been home to the most murders in the US title for years. It is truly horrid place for such things.

Part of my point is this. I understand why gang members distrust cops and why they commit acts of violence with illegal guns. Their problems and the solutions to their problems are not about changing gun laws or gun culture. The "take the law into my own hands" guy that exists across the country is someone we can address though. That person has a problem with law enforcement because they want to do it themselves. They own their guns legally. They probably use them 99.99% of the time legally. But the attitude towards guns, police, and the over-hyped notion of always needing to defend yourself and your property is a result of our gun culture. The town I grew up in in middle Tennessee did not have a crime problem by any means. Minor acts of vandalism by stupid teenagers (I might have stolen a road sign or two in my day) is about as bad as it gets on average. But such acts do not justify pulling out a gun to threaten, shoot, or scare someone with. A stupid teenager has been coming on your property and stealing your trash can. They don't deserve to be shot or even have a gun pointed at them. Just call the effing cops. But, you and I both know that most people in Tennessee (and places like it) who live outside the city limits, ain't calling no cops. They would much rather do it their own way.

Evolve

Smartass