TOWER OF NONSENSE

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-01-2014, 02:18 PM
RE: TOWER OF NONSENSE
(18-01-2014 09:41 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  
(15-01-2014 02:42 PM)Chas Wrote:  Oh, stuff and nonsense. Most myths and religions are 'just so' stories. They are attempts to explain the world.

No, I think they tended to be both, actually. A majority of all mythological stories encapsulated the values, beliefs, fears, morals, and pride of the societies that constructed them in a manner more deeply rooted than simply taking the stories at face value. I wouldn't completely disregard what KC is saying here.

I'm not the one doing the disregarding. He is denying the 'just so' aspect.

Of course myths reflect the values and mores of the originating culture - how could they not?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-01-2014, 04:23 PM
RE: TOWER OF NONSENSE
Also in a couple of thousand years of context it shows that God was not behind the particular values, beliefs, fears, morals, and pride that drove this story. Don't build Ziggurats? Oh, Cathedrals and churches are OK though. Don't violate human/divine boundaries, but space travel is fine.

What really is the enduring lesson here, other than "God used to care about things he doesn't care about anymore"?

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post