TTA Accent Tag

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-09-2014, 10:52 AM
RE: TTA Accent Tag
Maybe there are other parts of the south that add an extra r? I had an English coworker do that...

Pro Tip:
The southern accent portrayed on TV is almost never a southerner. Hell, the True Blood series has English and Australian cast members. Granted, the guy that plays Jason Stackhouse fooled me - he talks like he could possibly be from a rural southern town and just "puttin' on the dog" a bit for TV.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-09-2014, 11:04 AM
(05-09-2014 10:12 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(03-09-2014 04:05 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I don't have an accent. I'm from California. Oregonians say "pop" for soda, that's about the only difference between the two states.

I disagree. Oregonians talk much slower and in a way that matches their comprehension. Most do say "pop" and many have a hick twang to their words. -- even though they've never once set foot in the south.

Like adding the "r" in Washington -- where it becomes Warshington.

Also, at times I've noticed they way they pronounce "about" is more Canadian than Californian.

Northern Californians, especially those from the Bay Area tend to talk very quickly for some reason and run their words together. San Francisco, for example is said like one word instead of two with just two syllables.

Thats so weird. I've never met anyone who says pop. Lol. I agree that people from outside of the valley or the big cities sound a lot more country....crap i'm going to have to do this now arent I.
[+] 3 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
05-09-2014, 11:19 AM
(05-09-2014 10:52 AM)Nurse Wrote:  Maybe there are other parts of the south that add an extra r? I had an English coworker do that...

Pro Tip:
The southern accent portrayed on TV is almost never a southerner. Hell, the True Blood series has English and Australian cast members. Granted, the guy that plays Jason Stackhouse fooled me - he talks like he could possibly be from a rural southern town and just "puttin' on the dog" a bit for TV.

That's funny....the Oregonians I've heard add the R to words, were born and have only lived in this state...

My Georgia girlfriends tell me that all the time that "they all don't talk like they do on tv" honestly they don't sound anything like Paula Deen.

Even tho I would tease them Smile

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
05-09-2014, 11:30 AM
(05-09-2014 11:19 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(05-09-2014 10:52 AM)Nurse Wrote:  Maybe there are other parts of the south that add an extra r? I had an English coworker do that...

Pro Tip:

That's funny....the Oregonians I've heard add the R to words, were born and have only lived in this state...

My Georgia girlfriends tell me that all the time that "they all don't talk like they do on tv" honestly they don't sound anything like Paula Deen.

Even tho I would tease them Smile

Well that is because there is not 1 southern accent but closer to 6 or 7.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
(03-09-2014 09:48 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(03-09-2014 09:11 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Because the creator is wrong. If he wanted it pronounced with a J he should not have out a G at the beginning.

Oh, really?

"-gi-" is a soft 'g' in almost every case.

I would be willing to bet that every such case has a vowel after the 'i'. I can't think of a single instance of the sequence "soft g - i - consonant". Anyway, there aren't really any hard rules for acronyms anyway. I would probably pronounce "GIF" as three syllables (one for each letter). If I wanted to say it as a word, it would be with a hard G.
Y'all can't handle zeh Texas accent Hobo Tongue

[+] 3 users Like Escape Artist's post
05-09-2014, 11:32 AM
(05-09-2014 11:30 AM)Escape Artist Wrote:  Y'all can't handle zeh Texas accent Hobo Tongue

I kin. I'm frumm Tennessee and ourn neck-o-da-woods we talk-a-lot the same as you-ins.

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 3 users Like WitchSabrina's post
05-09-2014, 11:39 AM
(05-09-2014 11:32 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  
(05-09-2014 11:30 AM)Escape Artist Wrote:  Y'all can't handle zeh Texas accent Hobo Tongue

I kin. I'm frumm Tennessee and ourn neck-o-da-woods we talk-a-lot the same as you-ins.

Awwww Heart My granny (was from Arkansas) always said 'you-ins' Big Grin

[+] 2 users Like Escape Artist's post
05-09-2014, 11:46 AM
I'm going to try and do a vid, too. It may be a few days, though. Fingers crossed that I can get it to work. Yes

[+] 3 users Like Escape Artist's post
05-09-2014, 11:55 AM
How do you post an audio file on here?
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post