TTA Accent Tag

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-09-2014, 01:25 PM
RE: TTA Accent Tag
(05-09-2014 01:09 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(05-09-2014 12:51 PM)cjlr Wrote:  It depends on the type of vowel and on the next consonant.
(but it's still English, so there are more loanwords than not and the rules don't matter - old Germanic didn't have a soft 'g', but in Romance languages it's always soft before certain vowels)

Anyway: gibe, gigantic, gin, giraffe, gist...

Gah! D'oh! Those are all words I'm familiar with, too.

OK, you win. Never mind. But I'm still going to pronounce GIF with a hard G, because Vosur said so, and he's the Grammar God, or grammar guru, or something like that (notice that those are all hard Gs). But why does "German" start with a soft G? :head explodes:

"Germany" is a soft 'g' because it derives from a Latin word. And although 'Germani[a/cus]' would be a hard 'g' in classical Latin, it became a soft 'g' in late antiquity, hence modern Italian and Romanian - and English - following that usage.

PS spelling is orthography, not grammar.
Tongue

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-09-2014, 01:28 PM
(05-09-2014 01:16 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(05-09-2014 12:51 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Anyway: gibe, gigantic, gin, giraffe, gist...
Gift, girl, grab, go, glad, great, gimp, gas...

Ahh nevermind, I see why you were listing those now. Ahh well.

Gimp is from guimpe (French), and in French orthography the "silent" 'u' marks where a normally soft 'g' is pronounced as a hard 'g'.

"Gift" and "girl" and good old Germanic words.

Fun bonus fact: "girl" was originally a gender-neutral term.
(well - neutral in reference; it would have had grammatical gender...)

05-09-2014, 01:29 PM
TTA Accent Tag
(05-09-2014 01:25 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(05-09-2014 01:09 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Gah! D'oh! Those are all words I'm familiar with, too.

OK, you win. Never mind. But I'm still going to pronounce GIF with a hard G, because Vosur said so, and he's the Grammar God, or grammar guru, or something like that (notice that those are all hard Gs). But why does "German" start with a soft G? :head explodes:

"Germany" is a soft 'g' because it derives from a Latin word. And although 'Germani[a/cus]' would be a hard 'g' in classical Latin, it became a soft 'g' in late antiquity, hence modern Italian and Romanian - and English - following that usage.

Tongue

So the convention where some consonants (c, g) are softened before i and e was not a convention of Classical Latin? This came later?

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
[+] 1 user Likes Cardinal Smurf's post
05-09-2014, 01:36 PM
Hobbit you have a wonderful speaking voice!

And yeah, you still sound very Northwestern -- with that slight Canadian thing.."

Just thank goodness you do know how to properly say Oregon and Washington...

I always giggle a little when I hear people (outside the west cosst) say Oregon.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

05-09-2014, 01:46 PM
(05-09-2014 01:29 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  
(05-09-2014 01:25 PM)cjlr Wrote:  "Germany" is a soft 'g' because it derives from a Latin word. And although 'Germani[a/cus]' would be a hard 'g' in classical Latin, it became a soft 'g' in late antiquity, hence modern Italian and Romanian - and English - following that usage.

Tongue

So the convention where some consonants (c, g) are softened before i and e was not a convention of Classical Latin? This came later?

Indeed. Classical Latin had only the hard forms. By medieval times and in church Latin, pretty much only the soft forms existed.

There are gaps in our literary record, and the literary register itself is far from the vernacular during the period, but sometime between the third century and the ninth century is when the evolution occurred.

05-09-2014, 01:49 PM
(05-09-2014 01:28 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Fun bonus fact: "girl" was originally a gender-neutral term.
(well - neutral in reference; it would have had grammatical gender...)

Strangely enough, the modern German word for "girl" has a grammatical gender of "neutral" (Das Madchen). (should be an umlaut over the "a", but I don't know how to do that)
05-09-2014, 02:00 PM
(05-09-2014 01:36 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Hobbit you have a wonderful speaking voice!

And yeah, you still sound very Northwestern -- with that slight Canadian thing.."

I always giggle a little when I hear people (outside the west cosst) say Oregon.

Ore gone! I hate that! Lol.
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
05-09-2014, 02:01 PM
(05-09-2014 01:36 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Hobbit you have a wonderful speaking voice!

Oh and thank you for the compliment! I'm a little self conscious of the fact I dont have a terribly soft girly voice. Tongue But hey, when I'm mad and start booming people listen.
[+] 2 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
05-09-2014, 02:23 PM
(05-09-2014 02:01 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  

Oh and thank you for the compliment! I'm a little self conscious of the fact I dont have a terribly soft girly voice. Tongue But hey, when I'm mad and start booming people listen.

Seriously, you could be on the radio. Hug

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
05-09-2014, 02:26 PM
(05-09-2014 02:23 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(05-09-2014 02:01 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Oh and thank you for the compliment! I'm a little self conscious of the fact I dont have a terribly soft girly voice. Tongue But hey, when I'm mad and start booming people listen.

Seriously, you could be on the radio. Hug

Welcome to KOMT....All tolkien all the time! Tongue Hug I wouldnt wish that on anybody.
[+] 3 users Like Hobbitgirl's post