TTA Book club (god is not Great)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-05-2013, 10:15 AM
RE: TTA Book club (god is not Great)
(12-05-2013 10:07 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Did I get that backwards? I'm on my mobile so I can't see all the details.

I copied the poll.

"The God Delusion" by Richard Dawkins* 5 31.25%
"God is not Great" by Hitchens 9 56.25%
"Arguably" by Hitchens 2 12.50%

Yea I can't see poll results on my phone either....so I didn't bother looking, I'm just on the computer now...

Well, I can see the poll results...if I switch it to full version.

I was just wondering if there was a reason for this...

For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside,
That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive -- Badlands; Bruce Springsteen

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
12-05-2013, 11:21 AM
(12-05-2013 08:11 AM)Chas Wrote:  I read it; it was great. Drinking Beverage

Are you insinuating the book is not God?

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
12-05-2013, 12:55 PM
In Chapter 8 he brings up how in the OT God didn't punish you in an afterlife. However in the NT, the one that all the theists allude to as how loving and merciful Jesus/God is, God concocts eternal damnation and becomes His favorite new punishment, far surpassing in evil the trifling OT punishments like plagues.

After reading the book years ago this is the one thing that most stood out for me and the one point I have always made to anyone foolish enough to tell me that the NT with Jesus is loving and kind.

"Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's."- Mark Twain in Eruption
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
12-05-2013, 01:04 PM
I bought the hardcover sometime in late 2006/early 2007 to "challenge my faith" and therefore make me a better Xian apologist. Fast-forward to 2013 and I'm an atheist hanging out at another ex-Christian's website. Guess Hitch would be pleased at that!
[+] 2 users Like Atheist_pilgrim's post
12-05-2013, 01:09 PM
The other Chapter that made a lasting impression was Is Religion Child Abuse?

As Hitch goes on about how this world would be much different if indoctrination of children weren't allowed he touches on torture. Being fascinated by medieval times and having visited many a castle, armory and dungeon and having seen the torture devices concocted by the religious to expel evil spirits; I am reminded why we must put up a concerted front to battle religious dogmas. They all start with your best interest at heart (or so they say) but left to their own devices many end with public burnings.

Sing with me to the tune of The Christmas Song
http://youtu.be/2ROh5YauxYI

Ball sacks roasting on an open fire
Jack Frost ripping off your nose...

"Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's."- Mark Twain in Eruption
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
13-05-2013, 08:02 AM
(12-05-2013 12:55 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  In Chapter 8 he brings up how in the OT God didn't punish you in an afterlife. However in the NT, the one that all the theists allude to as how loving and merciful Jesus/God is, God concocts eternal damnation and becomes His favorite new punishment, far surpassing in evil the trifling OT punishments like plagues.

That's an interesting point! I'm not in to that chapter yet, but I'm surely going to pay more attention to it now.

One of the talking points that stick out in my mind is from the very beginning when he discusses all the different plagues, diseases and sicknesses that infected the populous back then. Everybody thought they were curses and damnations for not believing since that was the only thing they could come up with due to not having an understanding of human biology. I don't know if this point is Hitch's own or if he's borrowing it from Dawkins or another academic but, regardless, I read it in his book so as of now I'm crediting him. Undecided

I'm so interested to continue reading the balance of the book, but like I said in a previous post...it's a tough read for me. Hopefully this thread will still be here when I'm going through a second read of it. I'm sure I'll have more questions.
13-05-2013, 08:09 AM
(13-05-2013 08:02 AM)**Justine** Wrote:  
(12-05-2013 12:55 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  In Chapter 8 he brings up how in the OT God didn't punish you in an afterlife. However in the NT, the one that all the theists allude to as how loving and merciful Jesus/God is, God concocts eternal damnation and becomes His favorite new punishment, far surpassing in evil the trifling OT punishments like plagues.

That's an interesting point! I'm not in to that chapter yet, but I'm surely going to pay more attention to it now.

One of the talking points that stick out in my mind is from the very beginning when he discusses all the different plagues, diseases and sicknesses that infected the populous back then. Everybody thought they were curses and damnations for not believing since that was the only thing they could come up with due to not having an understanding of human biology. I don't know if this point is Hitch's own or if he's borrowing it from Dawkins or another academic but, regardless, I read it in his book so as of now I'm crediting him. Undecided

I'm so interested to continue reading the balance of the book, but like I said in a previous post...it's a tough read for me. Hopefully this thread will still be here when I'm going through a second read of it. I'm sure I'll have more questions.

This thread isn't going anywhere Big Grin

I figure most are probably not all the way through it yet either, but the threads can just stay open indefinitely.

Hitch has a way of taking the ideas and arguments made by the religious and then turning them on their head. I can see myself having tried to make some of the same points, and the same special pleading that goes along with making them. Hitch doesn't let them get away with that.

Evolve

Smartass
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/James_Beard2
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
13-05-2013, 08:59 AM
(13-05-2013 08:02 AM)**Justine** Wrote:  

I'm actually grateful for this too...since I'm not all the way through book or even half way.

I just haven't had the time and so far...I dunno...I know people love books like this...I'm maybe not a fan because I've never gotten all the way through the god delusion for years now.

For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside,
That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive -- Badlands; Bruce Springsteen

13-05-2013, 09:08 AM
(13-05-2013 08:59 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(13-05-2013 08:02 AM)**Justine** Wrote:  That's an interesting point! I'm not in to that chapter yet, but I'm surely going to pay more attention to it now.

I'm actually grateful for this too...since I'm not all the way through book or even half way.

I just haven't had the time and so far...I dunno...I know people love books like this...I'm maybe not a fan because I've never gotten all the way through the god delusion for years now.

Both this book and the God Delusion were books that I read about half of, and then put down for a bit before jumping back into them. Even though god is not great is fairly short, it packs a lot in. It can take a bit to process what you are reading. And on top of that, there are bits I still don't quite want to accept as plausible or true. I wasn't an anti-theist before I read the God Delusion in its entirety, but I couldn't justify being pro-religion after either. And when you fundamentally disagree with the author on such a fundamental point to their book, it can make some sections a bit of a chore, unless you are willing to concede that your opinion may be swayed. And Hitch does a damn good job of swaying opinions.

Evolve

Smartass
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/James_Beard2
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
13-05-2013, 05:55 PM
Shit! Hopefully isn't too damn late for me to comment on this.

I read god Is Not Great a couple months BEFORE Hitch died, and I found it to be the most compelling book for me. The God Delusion attacks religion on the ground of science and logic. While Hitch does take that approach as well, his book includes some devastating arguments and insights from his life and the history of human kind.

For instance: The Moral challenge Hitchens proposed is a good one, and while it could be cheaply disposed of by stating that an unbeliever couldn't (but most likely wouldn't due to the reasons stated in the book) donate shitloads of money to churches.

Also, Hitch completely gave me a new perspective on two of the most revered people of the 1900s, Ghandi and Mother Theresa. Back in the third grade, I had to pick a hero, and my choice was Ghandi. Looking back, had god Is Not Great been in my life at that time, I wouldn't have thought so highly of the man.

Mother Theresa is a story I ain't touching, because it still completely makes me fuming.

Also, my favorite chapter is "Arguments from Design" where he completely destroys some of the more "scientific" claims of ID with his wit and humor.

History is one of the main points of this book, and it shows Religion in a light I had never fully realized. It changed my views on religion so drastically that I wished I could have said thank you to the wonderful man that opened the door to critical, logical and secular thinking for me.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
[+] 3 users Like Atothetheist's post