04-02-2015, 11:57 AM
TTA Podcast #204 -- Fear of Death

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-02-2015, 11:42 PM
RE: TTA Podcast #204 -- Fear of Death
I think that Carol Fiore has such a grounded and amazing perspective on death and living. It really makes the article Seth read at the beginning seem so petty and presumptuous in saying that anyone who doesn't wish to live forever is doing something wrong. Even as a child I was always confused by the concept of forever in the sense of life after death. The only thing that sort of made sense to me was the concept of reincarnation in that if there was something after this life it wouldn't be a static existence. With reincarnation there was a rebirth of the soul-essence of an individual, but it wouldn't be the exact same entity as the one that had lived and died as a human. There had to be something changing, something different, something new, if there was such a thing as a continuation of the "eternal essence" of an entity.

It has only been after several long years of thinking further about the whole soul/spirit/essence thing that I came to the conclusion it was a false belief to deal with the uncertainty of death. I honestly do not know why I had so much struggle related to the topic of what happens after death as I have not had fears related to death or dying since at least sometime in high school. This was actually the last vestige of some form of theism that I had to reconcile with before declaring myself an atheist in all senses, not just the lack of believing in a god or organized religion. I always return to the question I had brought up to my mother as a very young child (3 or 4), "what if the world is only a giant's dream? What will happen when the giant wakes up? Will we go to sleep or disappear or will we come back when he goes back to sleep? If we come back, will it be the same?" I don't remember what her answer was, but even then I was curious about the concept of death or just disappearing. To me, it was just the same as going to sleep and never dream or wake up again. That was all. That still is all that I consider death. I was not always here nor will I always be here. I'm here now which is absolutely fucking awesome.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply